Author Topic: Your Shave Routine  (Read 365517 times)

Offline Hysteria

• Sly Guy in Training
Re: Your Shave Routine
« Reply #285 on: September 24, 2008, 08:31:43 PM »
Long time lurker...first time poster. 

Ive been shaving for close to 4 years now.  Ive tried every gimmick, fad and product out there.  Ive bled, cried and mother trucked, but I finally found a routine that works...

1.  Drink a cold Diet Coke (amazing powers....I swear).
2.  Hot shower.  I prefer to shave in the shower.
3.  Exfoliate (u might be suprised how it improves things).
4.  Apply Head Slick (better than any cream/ oil Ive ever used).
5.  Shave with Fusion Power.  It is more expensive, but I can normally get 3-4 good shaves per blade.  I shave against the grain first, then come back with the grain.  Seems to help with longevity.
6.  Exfoliate again (trust me).
7.  Rinse with cool/ cold water.  Feels pretty darn good.
8.  Drink another cold Diet Coke.

Offline Brkeatr

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #286 on: September 25, 2008, 04:21:09 AM »
Welcome to SBG Hysteria!

Post up in the intoduction section of the forum and tell us about yourself !!   O0

Offline Thompson

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #287 on: October 03, 2008, 06:03:02 AM »
El'Classic ;

1.Warm shower / bath
2.Take off cloth
(3).Eventually clean gillete
3.I put shaving gel (Gillete)
4.*Shaving process starts*
5.Wet my head again with warm water when I'm finished
6.Nivea Extreme Comfort aftershave balsam -> head.
7.I look myself in mirror,with pleasure watching my sexy shaved head.

Whole process is finished within 15 minutes.

Offline rodubls

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #288 on: October 06, 2008, 08:57:03 PM »
Head:
-Hot shower
-HeadShed, although I ran out and since resuming the slyfestyle I am using something my gf uses that I can't remember. Shipment from HB just came in though!
-Headslick and HB Sport TripleBlade. I go ATG and make about 3 passes, relathering each time.
-Cold rinse
-Alum bar all over
-Another cold rinse
-Thayer's Witch Hazel after drying off
-Headlube Matte
-Nivea for Men SPF 15 protective lotion

Face:
-After all of the above I do my face
-AoS pre shave oil (Expensive stuff but I got as a gift so why not use it?)
-Edwin Jagger best badger brush
-I normally use Col. Conk shave soaps but every now and then go for Proraso or Taylor's Rose
-Mach 3
-Cold Rinse, Alum block and witch hazel just as above
-Proraso creme
-Nivea Protective again
Buck:

"I'm on the gravy train with biscuit wheels!"

"I like to hump, I like to eat, and I don't like to drive."

Offline slyzed_t

• Sly Jr.
  • gettin' SLYzed
« Reply #289 on: October 11, 2008, 02:14:00 AM »
hi u sly guyz, im new here...im from Germany (Europe)...some fuckin-a info round here..  ^-^

i read a lot about that st.ives apricot scrub and witch hazel...but we aint got that around here in germany.. :( ..all i found was another apricot peeling, maybe try that its all natural ingredients...or should i buy headshed (that i can get from www.headblade.de ) ?

my current routine:

1. take a piss
2. Get in the shower
3. Wash my Head with soap
4. Lather with Nivea for Men Sensitive Foam..let it sink in for about 5 Minutes
5. Take my Mach3 (love the sh*t) .. and start shaving with the Top..followed by the sides and finally the back...feeling with my left hand for rough spots..
6. Relather if necessary and touch up the missed spots..
7. Ice Cold Rinse
8. Pat Head dry and apply Nivea for Men Sensitive Aftershave Balm (no alcohol)
9. Wait some time (10 Minutes or so) to let it sink in and then rub 2 drops Jojoba-Oil over my head..gives a nice shine and moisturizes..
10. Adoring my-fucking-SLYzed-self..  O:O

greetings, jt

Offline abdominator3

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #290 on: October 11, 2008, 02:30:49 AM »
hi u sly guyz, im new here...im from Germany (Europe)...some f**kin-a info round here..  ^-^

i read a lot about that st.ives apricot scrub and witch hazel...but we aint got that around here in germany.. :( ..all i found was another apricot peeling, maybe try that its all natural ingredients...or should i buy headshed (that i can get from www.headblade.de ) ?

my current routine:

1. take a piss
2. Get in the shower
3. Wash my Head with soap
4. Lather with Nivea for Men Sensitive Foam..let it sink in for about 5 Minutes
5. Take my Mach3 (love the sh*t) .. and start shaving with the Top..followed by the sides and finally the back...feeling with my left hand for rough spots..
6. Relather if necessary and touch up the missed spots..
7. Ice Cold Rinse
8. Pat Head dry and apply Nivea for Men Sensitive Aftershave Balm (no alcohol)
9. Wait some time (10 Minutes or so) to let it sink in and then rub 2 drops Jojoba-Oil over my head..gives a nice shine and moisturizes..
10. Adoring my-f**king-SLYzed-self..  O:O

greetings, jt

hey man..good to have you here...lookin buff with the sly look 8)

anywyas bro..u can always look for any local or natural exfoliaters available there in germany as they all should do the same..we mention about st.ives because its kind of a brand and is alomost available everywhere(not germany ofcourse) and all of us can relate to it u kno am sayin..a exfoliater with natural ingredients should be good.. give it a try...

and i would suggest you use the rolling razor www.rollingrazor.com ..its fkin brilliant better than mach3 i like mach3 alot azwell..

hope this helped.. O0

BE BALD BE PROUD

Offline slyzed_t

• Sly Jr.
  • gettin' SLYzed
« Reply #291 on: October 11, 2008, 02:37:52 AM »
thanks dude..

just bought the apricot exfoliator...gonna try that later before shaving..if it sucks i'll get some headshed next week..

the rolling razor looks interesting, headblade-like...do u know if they ship to europe? can i use mach3-bladed with it?

Offline phuzzphree

• To each his own.
  • Sly Jr.
« Reply #292 on: October 26, 2008, 08:32:07 PM »
I'm a bit late in joining this board, but I've had alot of fun reading what others do.  For what it's worth, here's my routine.

1.  I use a hot, hot rag to soak my head and face (pre-shower)
2.  Fill the sink w/ hot hot water.
3.  Lather up a soap brush w/ "Bald Guyz" Ultimate Shave Gel and hot hot water.
4.  Lather up my chrome dome and face to be good and soapy with the brush.
5.  Take a Gillette Fusion using SHORT strokes on the first pass w/ the grain.
6.  Repeat steps 3 (add more gel if needed) and 4.
7.  Use the Fusion using SHORT strokes against the grain, using my free hand to feel where I've missed.
8.  Take care of the face.
9.  Hop in the shower w/ the Fusion
10.  Soap my noggin up good w/ 'Herbal Essence' shampoo feeling for any areas that I've missed.
11. Take care of the missed spots and rinse.
12. Dry well, and use a cotton ball and Sea Breeze to close the pours on the head and face.

Some notes about shaving creams, gels, and other stuff.

In my 10 years or so of being 'Sly', I've tried just about everything from bar soap to mineral (baby) oil.  The best shave I got w/ the least problems was it the oil, but it made me break out so I had to find something different.  I happened by the 'Bald Guyz' gel and decided to give it a try and by far it has given me the most comfortable shave second to the mineral oil.  If I don't have the BG gel, I settle for Gillette Fusion Shave cream.  I've tried 'Head Slick' (still have it), but found that it dries out too quickly for my tastes.  I still use it in a pinch though.

As far as blades go, I started w/ an Atra, then gradually found my way to the Fusion.  I was skeptical that adding another blade to the Mach III (making it the Fusion) wouldn't make much difference, but to my surprise it made for a very comfortable shave.  I can justify the cost because as most of you know, going to the barber ain't cheap these days.

My suggestions to anyone trying it out for the first time is 1. Make sure you have a new blade the first time.  2. Get a good gel or cream.  3. Don't be shy about showin' off your slicked up head.

I hope this helps.  I always tell people that "They'll never know true freedom until they shave their head!"

« Last Edit: November 02, 2008, 09:43:19 PM by phuzzphree »
(BaldGuyz gel + Gillette Fusion) - hair = a beautiful thing!

Offline Alexander215

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #293 on: October 26, 2008, 08:39:41 PM »
I'm a bit late in joining this board, but I've had alot of fun reading what others do.  For what it's worth, here's my routine.

1.  I use a hot, hot rag to soak my head and face (pre-shower)
2.  Fill the sink w/ hot hot water.
3.  Lather up a soap brush w/ "Bald Guyz" Ultimate Shave Gel and hot hot water.
4.  Lather up my chrome dome and face to be good and soapy with the brush.
5.  Take a Gillette Turbo using SHORT strokes on the first pass w/ the grain.
6.  Repeat steps 3 (add more gel if needed) and 4.
7.  Use the Turbo using SHORT strokes against the grain, using my free hand to feel where I've missed.
8.  Take care of the face.
9.  Hop in the shower w/ the Turbo
10.  Soap my noggin up good w/ 'Herbal Essence' shampoo feeling for any areas that I've missed.
11. Take care of the missed spots and rinse.
12. Dry well, and use a cotton ball and Sea Breeze to close the pours on the head and face.

Some notes about shaving creams, gels, and other stuff.

In my 10 years or so of being 'Sly', I've tried just about everything from bar soap to mineral (baby) oil.  The best shave I got w/ the least problems was it the oil, but it made me break out so I had to find something different.  I happened by the 'Bald Guyz' gel and decided to give it a try and by far it has given me the most comfortable shave second to the mineral oil.  If I don't have the BG gel, I settle for Gillette Fusion.  I've tried 'Head Slick' (still have it), but found that it dries out too quickly for my tastes.  I still use it in a pinch though.

As far as blades go, I started w/ an Atra, then gradually found my way to the Turbo.  I was skeptical that adding another blade to the Mach III (making it the Turbo) wouldn't make much difference, but to my surprise it made for a very comfortable shave.  I can justify the cost because as most of you know, going to the barber ain't cheap these days.

My suggestions to anyone trying it out for the first time is 1. Make sure you have a new blade the first time.  2. Get a good gel or cream.  3. Don't be shy about showin' off your slicked up head.

I hope this helps.  I always tell people that "They'll never know true freedom until they shave their head!"

Welcome bro and let me be the first to say, impressive 'stache!

Offline phuzzphree

• To each his own.
  • Sly Jr.
« Reply #294 on: October 26, 2008, 09:01:44 PM »
Thanks for the welcome.  It's good to have a place to exchange ideas... :)

The 'stache isn't as big as that anymore, but still quite large, w/ a go-tee.  The beard/go-tee may come and go, but there will always be the 'stache. :)
(BaldGuyz gel + Gillette Fusion) - hair = a beautiful thing!

Offline slickjay

• Sly Jr.
  • It could not possibly get any better than this.
« Reply #295 on: November 07, 2008, 08:11:47 PM »
I'm starting to get a good routine after a month of being Sly:

1. Exfoliate during my morning shower.
2. Lather the dome with Headslick.
3. Shave the sides of my head first with my HB. I start at my ears, and go upwards toward top of my head. I know this is a bit unorthodox, but I've found this gives me a closer shave in this region, and thus, I don't have to make multiple passes. Also, when shaving my sides, I hold the HB more like a Hotwheel (I grasp the top of the HB with my fingertips).
4. Shave the top of my head ATG.
5. Shave the top of my neck.
6. Shave the back of my head ATG.
7. Check for rough spots.
8. Cold rinse.
9. Apply L'Oreal Sport SPF 15 aftershave balm.
"It seems to me that if you or I must choose between two courses of thought or action, we should remember our dying and try so to live that our death brings no pleasure to the world."

East of Eden, John Steinbeck

Offline shavedGabe

• Being you is the best way to go.
  • Sly Guy in Training
  • I know I dont look good with a smile but I try.
« Reply #296 on: November 14, 2008, 05:15:50 PM »
my routine starts at night, because Im not a morning person so I sleep in as late as possible. But I start my wetting my scalp, then I apply either edge (sensitive skin) or old spice (sensitive skin). Then I just lather it up use the HB over the scalp and majority around the head (sides and behind). Then I use my old spice razor (4 blades) or schick (3 blades) and go around the ears and any sores that I happened to do before learned how to control the HB correctly. Then I rinse and give it one more feel and then by that time I ususally got most of it, but I shower up, get out and throw on Aqua Velva classic, or ice sport. Then I just keep on going and then throughout the day as I feel the head I will see any small spots that i missed that fortunately you couldnt see unless you actually inspected my scalp. Then Im just getting better as I shave it. But being from southern Georgia I ended up here as I served proudly in the Marines as a cook so the shaved head is a new thing here, and me not being a cold type of guy it hurts sometimes, but I still love the shaved way. 8)
outragously

Offline fcb2001

• 2010 FIFA World Cup South Africa (11 June to 11 July 2010)
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Bald for Life
« Reply #297 on: November 18, 2008, 07:11:48 AM »
I use two razors everyday, headblade sport in the morning (shower shave) and a straight razor in evening (sink shave), this started on Nov 1st, i received a straight razor as a gift

Morning shave (takes 4 minutes)
Put the headlube on my scalp and shave with the headblade sport,

Evening shave (takes approx 25-30 minutes)
1) apply a hot towel across my head
2) sharpen blade while the hot towel is on my head
3) apply edge shave gel on the brush
4) Lather edge shave gel with brush on my head
5) shave head with the grain
6) wipe off head
7) apply hot towel across head
8) sharpen blade while the hot towel is on my head
9) apply edge shave gel on the brush
10) Lather edge shave gel with brush on my head
11) shave head against the grain
12) wipe off head with towel

Offline RATyson

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #298 on: November 25, 2008, 03:02:44 PM »
My routine is in it's infancy stage right now as I have just "Skinned the Mater" (man, that makes me chuckle every time I say it).  It's been 5 days.

Hot shower.  I was my head with the generic version of Irish Spring hair/body wash.  Then apply some of my wifes current hair conditioner to my head (I have no idea what the name/make is, but I will update when I find out).
I let the conditioner set a spell while I get done in the shower, and I don't rinse it off at all.

I shave at the sink.  Fill the sink with hot water, apply Gillette Foamy (for now... I'm going to get some headblade products in the near future), and shave front to back in long strokes using my shiny new HeadBlade sport that I picked up at Walgreens for $9!  I currently use the supplied triple blade, but am going to try the sensor 3 tomorrow.

I do any touchups with my Sensor 3 razor behind the ears, and in some of the divits I have in my melon.

Cold water rinse, then apply some aloe lotion that my wife has on the bathroom counter.

The cold water rinse definitly feels good, and gives a nice shine!

I am going to take a few pointers from here:
Using HeadBlade products.
Hot towel wrap prior to shaving.
Add the back->front to the shave.

Thanks for all of the tips folks!

One problem I have is how fast my hair seems to grow.  I have a full, thick head of hair ( when it isn't shaved).  I shave around 5:30am, and 3-4 hours later, I have stubble coming in!!  I basically could shave 2 to 3 times a day in order to keep it smooth over a 12 hour period.

Offline Shaf

• Sly
« Reply #299 on: December 14, 2008, 09:34:21 AM »
Changed mine a tad,

Still wash with olive oil soap or BaldGuyz shampoo

Choose either an Atra/Fusion/Merkur HD – all good

Lather up with a combo of a large badger brush/Trumper's Rose shave Soap and Hot six oil. Ideally in a make shift scuttle I've got to get warm lather

Exfoliate with Headshed before re lathering to go against

Cold rinse and splash Musgol real aftershave or a homemade spray mix that'll I try of alcohol/witch hazel and water soluble aspirin

Dry and use bald guys moisture gel for shine or Loreal Men Expert Pure and Matte for ooh guess.

Finish with a brush of bronzer if I need it.  O0

Enter your email address: