Author Topic: Your Shave Routine  (Read 365404 times)

baldy46

Re: Your Shave Routine
« Reply #255 on: July 03, 2008, 09:54:30 AM »
Here's my routine:

1.  Hot shower.  Use bar soap on my head first, then I use the St. Ives Apricot Scrub to keep zits from developing.
2.  Then I shave at the sink using HeadSlick from HeadBlade and the Quattro razor.  I start with my face to let the HeadSlick really soften that stubble on my head.  After that, it's on to the noggin.  Like a lot of guys here, I make two passes...starting back to front, then front to back.  So, it's one time with the grain and one time against, using short strokes with little pressure.
3.  I feel around for any missed spots, apply a little more HeadSlick, and get rid of those patches!
4.  Rinse my head with cold water.
5.  Apply some aloe.  It helps sooth any razor burn, which isn't a big problem for me.  The aloe gives my dome a nice shine.  I like that shiny head look.

I hardly ever nick my noggin.  The Quattro blades work really well for me.

I was thinking about trying shaving oil?  What do you guys think about that?

Offline Sly Red

• GSG Southerner in Exile
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
    • Facebook
« Reply #256 on: July 03, 2008, 11:37:17 AM »
Hi baldy46,

Here are my shaving oil choices in order of my preference:

1.  Anthony Pre-Shave Oil - This one is quite heavy and provides me with great protection for my electric razor head shave.
http://www.anthony.com/index.cfm/a/catalog.catshow/catid/206

2. Pacific Shaving Oil - I tried this one on recommendation from Tyler.  A great oil for the face.  Has a very light citrus scent.  http://pacificshaving.com/

3.  Total Shaving Solution - This one is great, but I hate the clove scent.
http://www.allaboutshaving.com/

I wash off all the oil after shaving regardless of which oil I use.  It's also a good practice to wash your razor thoroughly.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2008, 11:40:40 AM by SimplyRed »
In matters of grave importance, style, not sincerity, is the vital thing.” Oscar Wilde

baldy46

« Reply #257 on: July 03, 2008, 12:26:27 PM »
Thanks SimplyRed.  I think I'm going to try one of these shaving oils when my HeadSlick runs out.  Do you think that's a good idea?  I really like the HeadSlick, but the stuff is expensive.  Plus, I've never tried shave oil and enjoy trying new things to see how they work.  If you don't think the razor gunking issue is a big deal, then maybe the shave oil would be great.

Offline Sly Red

• GSG Southerner in Exile
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
    • Facebook
« Reply #258 on: July 03, 2008, 12:30:38 PM »
When I shave with a blade I use the shave oil and the shave creme/gel.  Oil on first, of course.  O0
In matters of grave importance, style, not sincerity, is the vital thing.” Oscar Wilde

Offline J Digory

• My head's like my bass playin': Smooth
  • Super Sly
« Reply #259 on: July 03, 2008, 01:22:05 PM »
I shave twice a day. Morning and evening. I love laying down on my pillow with a smooth head, and I love it when a lady grabs that head and feels no stubble. They seem to like it, as well.

I use shaving cream, not sure of the brand, but it has some effect that cools my head. I wet my head up with hot water, use an exfoliating wash on my face and head, and then rinse it well. Coat my head in shaving cream and just go against the grain with my headblade. I just do strips real quick...takes me about 2 minutes. Then I go again while feeling around for any hair at all. When I get out of the shower I put on some anti-bump cream, smooth it in and walla.
And if it's in the morning I put some lotion on my head.
Seriously though, I don't think the brands are all that important personally, which is why I don't list any. The only thing that has made any effect on my headshaving is the headblade. Period. And I use the generic Atra blades, too.

The odd thing is I have a harder time shaving my face than I do my head. That's why I always have had whiskers or a beard for the last couple years.

Offline FR8TRAIN

• Sly Bureau
  • Go ahead, rub it!
    • Facebook
« Reply #260 on: July 03, 2008, 05:25:42 PM »
UPDATE!!!!

I finally got a mirror for the shower. Now I'm one of the big boys now. I can shave in the shower! O0
Tis better to have a bald head than no head at all.

Offline skinhead002

• Super Sly
« Reply #261 on: July 04, 2008, 03:28:26 AM »
You might finf that after awhile, you wont need the mirror as much.  Thats been my experience over the years

Offline xnewyawka

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #262 on: July 04, 2008, 08:30:45 AM »
I agree, once you get used to it you will be able to shave solely from feel.

Offline Lord of the Rings Junkie

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #263 on: July 05, 2008, 09:17:55 PM »
Quote from headshaver.org
If you have skin that is not too sensitive, and you can handle a number of repeats, to get really smooth, you need to run your fingers over your scalp in all directions, and to shave in all directions, because the hair on your scalp will grow in many different directions, so you may feel smooth one way, but rough another.
<grammar nazi>What a run-on sentence... :x! :popo</grammar nazi> Anyway, I go over my head for MANY passes. It takes me forever until my head feels smooth in all directions, especially on the back of my neck with all of its little nooks and crannies. In fact, the back of my neck often still ends up feeling a little bit fuzzy. A lot of the time I end up feeling some spots I've missed once my head has started to dry off a bit and I have to go back over them again.

I shave in the shower with a Gillete Fusion manual razor and I've been trying Barbasol shaving cream the last couple of times. I'm interested in trying HeadSlick, but I usually just use plenty of hot running water. Overall, I'd say it takes me about 15-20 minutes to shave.

PS Sometimes I rub a couple drops of olive oil into my scalp after-the-fact in liu of aftershave.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2008, 09:25:31 PM by Lord of the Rings Junkie »
"Et Earello Endorenna utulien.
Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar
tenn' Ambar-metta!"

Offline sarah

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #264 on: July 10, 2008, 04:44:27 PM »
So... I must admit, i took some of your techniques and used them on my legs today.. wow cold water rinse, and apricot scrub, I feel like my eyes have been opened to a whole new world!  Women should collaborate with men more often.  Props!

Offline J Digory

• My head's like my bass playin': Smooth
  • Super Sly
« Reply #265 on: July 11, 2008, 02:00:47 AM »
Hey, Sarah. Glad to hear you tried some techniques out. I wonder if icecubes would be good on your legs after you shave? I know it is easier than a cold rinse on my head, and it also seems more effective.

Offline IG_bald

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #266 on: July 11, 2008, 02:17:41 AM »
I usually shave in shower with M3 power (that vibrating thing) and I use
Venus razorblade head with that. I know that venus is made for women but it surely feels nice to shave with it and I haven't make any wounds with it.

Sometimes i use shaving gel or just shampoo with shaving, but usually just warm water is enough.  :)

Offline HeadbladerBob

• Sly
« Reply #267 on: July 12, 2008, 09:34:20 PM »
Here is what works for me

1.  I fill the sink with scolding hot water because it will cool off a little by time I finish my shower
2.  upon finishing my shower, I immediately put my shave gel on my head which is not been dried and wait about one minute to let the gel soak in
3.  I use the headblade with the double cartridge razor and shave with the grain
4.  After this, I shave my face as well using a the same gel but a double-edged razor
5.  After I am finished with shaving entirely, I rinse all the gel and shaved hair off my body with cold water to close the pours and then dry off my head and body entirely
6. I then use isoprophyl alcohol on my head and face.  Yes it may be scary but I have been doing it for awhile now so the sting does not faze my anymore and it does help sanitize the skin being shaved and prevent those ingrown hairs
7.  Lastly, I moisturize my head and face with Nivea shave gel and it adds a nice shine to my noggin that allows for a nice shiny glare without having an oily head
8.  I get compliments on it a lot and that makes this all worth the effort.
9.  My total time invested in shaving is about 15 to 20 minutes as I try not to rush so I do not cut myself
« Last Edit: July 12, 2008, 09:42:11 PM by HeadbladerBob »
God created only so many beautiful heads, the rest are covered by hair

Offline babzog

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #268 on: July 12, 2008, 11:32:25 PM »
InfernalGrape: When the Sensor was all the rage, I used to use the ladies blades as they had aloe strips.  Now the M3 Turbo has the aloe strips.  Prophetic?   :px

Anyway... I'm a shower shaver since university days.  Still have a hard time with my face (sensitive skin - I can only shave every 2-3 days lest I end up with horrible razor burn).

Wash the face/pumpkin with Dove soap, then scrub with St Ives (thanks for that tip fellers!)  Apply my shave cream of the month (this month, it's Neutrogena for Men - seems to work very nicely!) to the noggin and face and start with the face using the M3.  Shaving with the grain, though I might make a few light passes against the grain to get rid of the stubble.  Shave up a bit from the sideburns and up a bit from the tops of the ears.

Now, switch to the HB, triple blade.  Long passes from the front to the neck cleaning every second pass, at least.  Switch hands and do the other side.   Flip the HB and go against the grain.  Around the ears (both directions) and up the sides (just lightly holding the HB) to the top of my head.  All the while I'll feeling for rough patches and touching them up.  Damn, that HB works well!!

I can hand hold the shower head so I'll rinse off, then flip the temp to cold and rinse the noggin in cold water, then towel off.  Apply a bit of whatever after shave conditioner I have on hand... I'm liking the Aqua Velva Ice Blue Gel right now, though I also have a Neutrogena for Men after shave gel/cream conditioner that works nicely too.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2008, 11:27:32 AM by babzog »

Offline Hook'Em

• Super Sly
« Reply #269 on: July 22, 2008, 12:36:37 PM »
I've only been shaving my dome for a week now. I had been using a panasonic wet/dry electric but this morning used a schick extreme 3 disposable and edge gel in the shower. Then rinsed and washed it with some Nutrogena antibacterial soap the wife has. WOW, what a difference a blade makes. I thought it was smooth with the electric but there really is no comparison. I finished with an ice rub and some sunscreen/self tanning lotion.
<a href="http://www.imagechef.com/" target="_blank"> [img width= height= alt=ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more]http://cdn-img1.imagechef.com/w/080722/samp3621da6c52487d03.jpg[/img]