Author Topic: Shaved on a Whim  (Read 14258 times)

Offline **sticks**

• Sly
  • "This World is not This World"
Shaved on a Whim
« on: April 22, 2007, 01:44:46 AM »
Hey Guys,

im 20....I have been balding since high school....so the whole im going bald thing is not new to me nor is it getting to me....its defintly getting to the point where its now very noticeable on pictures...

I went to a russian restuarant last nite (im russian) and saw a group of 10 guys with all shaved heads...thought i loved the look they were sporting so today i decided on a whim to shave it all off....well actually i wanted to go in stages but that didnt work so now im completely bald...

i must say that it defintly feels weird...its the first night so i am having second thoughts....
I still have the part of my head is tan and the rest is completely white so i know that over time i will have a different look...

ok now for the questions...

so far ever one has said i look like a skin head/etc. anyone else have this problem?
anyone have any problems in a professional situation/getting a job because of the shaved head?
i heard numerous times that after you shave the hair off, it grows back thicker? any truth to that?
how many people have second thoughts? (kind of a stupid question i know but i want to know others have been there)
after how long does it take for my head color to become one color....

thanks guys!

-Leo

jusbnme

Re: Shaved on a Whim
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2007, 02:09:48 AM »
First of all, welcome Leo and congrats on becoming sly.  Yeah, you will get the occasional idiots who don't take time to get to know a person and judge them by what they see.  But don't let that bother you because they have the problem, not you.  As far as a professional setting...I have never had a problem but then again I had only worked in a steel shop before quitting about a year ago.  Some other guys on this forum may have different opinions since they have worked, or do work, in a more "professional" type setting.  As far as your hair growing back thicker...I'm pretty sure that's an old wives tale.  When I first started shaving my head completely bald I had some second thoughts but that's natural.  It's just like doing anything new for the first time.  But after a good month or so sporting the sly look I new it was for me and I haven't looked back since.  As far as the color of your head is concerned it just depends on your skin type and how much sun you expose yourself to.  If you want to get some color on your newly shaved area then you'll need to get out in the sun a little bit so that it can "catch up" to the rest of your body's color.  Make sure to wear some type of sunscreen though or you could get burnt very bad.  Especially since this is going to be the first time your dome has come in direct contact with the sun.  Welcome once again.  Take care.  O0

Offline Johannes

• Sly
  • Straight Razor Shaver
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2007, 02:15:40 AM »
Welcome Leo,
many years ago they named me skinhead butt i'm not a skinhead i'm proud with my shaved head.
It's no more a job problem here (i live in the Netherlands) many people with different jobs shave there heads)
It don't grow back thicker after shaves, so keep it shaved.
Be careful with the sun after some days you have one color.
Nothing better than one sharp blade

Offline Ian

• UK Baldie
  • Super Sly
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2007, 02:36:35 AM »
I dont think been labelled a 'SkinHead' is the problem as that is a music thing Ska & all that i think what its become today is the Neo Nazi racist thing,that people are worried about.
I didnt have second thoughts at all,it was a relief,i was 'thinning' on top of my head & people would look at it so i thought,i will give you something to look at & buzzed it down to a No1,this was at the age of about 20-22ish.
Jobs have never been an issue,i have worked in the retail area for years,serving the public face to face & as a Rep for my company

oh and by the way Welcome

Ian

I knew I was going bald when it was taking longer and longer to wash my face

Offline **sticks**

• Sly
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2007, 02:40:07 AM »
hey guys!

thanks so much for the fast replies...

i must say, after browsing the forum, that it really helped me to read everyone's confidence in shaving their head....its making this process that much easier...

I still have school on monday which will probably be the hardest part of the process and after about two weeks i will decide whether I want to keep it...

I will post the before and after in just a sec...

Also, i must clarify on the job question...the reason i ask is because im studying political science and for us in this field, looks is everything...i guess my question is if anyone in this field has had any issues....

thanks again!

-Leo

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2007, 02:50:03 AM »
Leo, first off, welcome to Sly Bald Guys!

I work in a professional setting and since I've shaved my head I've actually had better dealings with clients than when I had hair.  We also have a Professor of English that hangs here by the name of Professor Melon.  I'm sure he can ease your concerns about working in that type of work.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline **sticks**

• Sly
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2007, 02:53:02 AM »
Before...
After...

Offline Ian

• UK Baldie
  • Super Sly
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2007, 03:04:18 AM »
That looks REALLY cool.... 8)  best thing you could have ever done !!
I knew I was going bald when it was taking longer and longer to wash my face

Offline Johannes

• Sly
  • Straight Razor Shaver
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2007, 03:10:03 AM »
Thanks for the pics it looks great that shaved head, way to go

Johannes
Nothing better than one sharp blade

Offline mikesj

• Sly
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2007, 03:49:11 AM »
Welcome Leo. Looks great, a shaved head really suits you.  I work in a professional setting and shaved heads are becoming more common. Actually the neat look of a shaved seems more professional to me than a bad combover or obvious hairpiece.  As others on the board will suggest....give it time. I have only been shaving one week, but knew right away it was the right thing for me.

Offline Koaa2

• Super Sly
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2007, 04:58:37 AM »
Congratulations. You look good! I have only been doing it a short time, also, and like the look and feel. I can't wait until the next shave each day after I work out. Enjoy it. I have had all positive feedback from those I know.
"Wherever you go, there you are"

Offline Professor Melon

• Professor Melon
  • Super Sly
  • Professor Melon
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2007, 05:22:48 AM »
 O0 O0 O0  Welcome,  Sticks/Leo, and congrats on following your whim.  I think you were inspired, as the totally bald look becomes you; much neater and cleaner-looking than the straggly thinning  look, which actually made you look older. The other members have given you solid advice. I can add only that 1) you should give baldness a good long try--perhaps a couple of months; 2) get some sun, but remember the sun screen; and 3) I have been a professional (PhD and full professor of English and religion) for four decades. Since shaving completely bald in early November 2006, I have experienced NOTHING but positive responses, especially from my female colleagues. Factor in the reaction of your wife or significant other, as it matters. Like RazorX and Blondeguy, I favor a goatee. Figure out what clothes, shades, etc. complement your new image. And take delight in the wind, top-down convertibles, and freedom from anxiety and wasteful expenditures on "cures." The only downside is that in winter the dome gets cold; no problems for a guy raised in Russia. Let's hear from you. Are you graduating from college/university this June? At interviews, if you dress properly/conservatively, the shiny dome will enhance the impression you make: bold, adult, realistic, and HONEST. All best, Professor Melon
Embrace the bald truth

Offline Itsonlyinmyhead

• When will it happen?
  • Sly
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2007, 06:02:08 AM »
That really suits you  O:O

PhilDNY

« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2007, 06:17:29 AM »
Bonjour Leo,

Welcome to the club!
Judging from your pictures, you should not have any problem with your new look. It suits you perfectly.

Here are my answers to your questions.

so far ever one has said i look like a skin head/etc. anyone else have this problem?
I never had any remark of the sort (I shaved nearly two months ago.) although shaved heads are very uncommon in my close neighbourhood (A small town hidden in a wood, 3 miles away from Paris). In fact, it is all a question of attitude. Most people will form an opinion on your general appearance and behaviour, not just based on your hairstyle. And if they do, a simple gesture of courtesy will reassure them.

Anyone have any problems in a professional situation/getting a job because of the shaved head?
Not at all, (I work in a higher learning institution :statistics, economics, finance and actuarial science.) the first “day after” was rather uneventful from that perspective. Self-censorship is sometimes more burdensome than the supposed/untold dress code of a firm.
There again it mostly depends on your attitude.

i heard numerous times that after you shave the hair off, it grows back thicker? any truth to that?
This is a myth (ask a dermatologist) as is “cut your hair on a full moon / new moon night”.

how many people have second thoughts? (kind of a stupid question Ii know but i want to know others have been there)
No second thoughts for me. The novelty do subsides of course but as far as I am concerned, I do not plan to revert.

after how long does it take for my head color to become one color....
Well that depends on the type of your skin. If you tan rapidly, you head will do the same. For me, it is a slow process. I have a very pale skin and do not care for the sun so I expose myself with care. After almost two months it is still visible. (But not that much. A couple a weeks more will do the trick.) The contrast between your hair and your skin is also important in that respect.

Phil.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2007, 06:29:18 AM by PhilDNY »

Offline Robmeister

• The Duke of SLY
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • I'm not this handsome in real life
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2007, 07:00:16 AM »
Welcome Leo!!

Oh...man...yours is one of the better improvements I've seen when comparing "before" to "after"!!

Your look is MUCH better bald.

I wouldn't worry about a THING, man....Excellent move O0