Author Topic: Thinking of going DE  (Read 8470 times)

Offline Jloewe

• Sly Guy in Training
Thinking of going DE
« on: July 01, 2017, 02:12:35 PM »
Hi everyone.  Been shaving for about a year on and off and want to give DE a try.  Anyone have recommendations?  How long do blades generally last (as in how long for you I know everyone is different)?  The Dorco Safety Razor looks like a pretty sweet deal as you can get handle, traveling case and 30 blades for just $20 is this a good razor for a beginner?

Offline BigJinTX

• Sly Guy in Training
Re: Thinking of going DE
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2017, 06:13:45 AM »
I've been using a DE safety razor on my face for the past few years. On my head for the past six months. I got most of my information, when first starting, online at Badger and blade. And on YouTube. One surprising thing to me at first was that different blades have a different sharpness. My blades can last me as long as a week, but I prefer to change them out every 3 days. I strongly suggest a quality shave soap or shave cream and brush. Success with a de razor is all about blade angle, and it does take a bit of trial and error before one finds the best technique. I encourage you to give it a try but be patient. It's worth the learning curve. Good luck.

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2017, 04:21:18 PM »
I enjoy shaving with my DE razor, but it does take quite some time as I have to shave my entire head and face, except goatee area. Blades are only 10ยข each, so I only use for one shave.

My razor of choice is a 1954 Gillette Super Speed. And yes, it's all about learning the angle. What I really l like about the DE is I can make multiple passes for a super smooth shave and never get any irritation.
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline gwsmallwood

• Sly
  • AZ Sly Guy
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2017, 08:55:45 PM »
Do it. It's a much better shave. I recommend one of the starter kits from www.stirlingsoap.com or www.maggardrazors.com

Offline Jloewe

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2017, 05:56:56 AM »
Do it. It's a much better shave. I recommend one of the starter kits from www.stirlingsoap.com or www.maggardrazors.com

Do you know if bee bald shaving cream (which has been pretty good so far) will work with DE?  Thing is my girlfriend just bought me a kit and I want to use up all the cream before I get any soap which I've actually been dying to try.  She bought it like last week and you know how it goes with women.

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2017, 06:41:43 AM »
I'm sure the BeeBald will be a good quality product and work great. Nice girlfriend, how does she like your shaved head?
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline gwsmallwood

• Sly
  • AZ Sly Guy
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2017, 08:18:30 AM »
I agree with Reddog. If it works with carts, it will probably be fine with a DE. I've always had problems with the brushless creams gunking up my razors, but it might just be my hard water.

Offline Jloewe

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2017, 08:29:47 AM »
Girlfriend loves the shaved head and says it's damn sexy.

Offline Jloewe

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2017, 08:57:03 AM »
Went for it!  Got the Dorco Prime starter if anyone is wondering.  From the reviews everything about it seems to be in the "medium" range so I'll go from there.  I almost got that starter kit but I have a bunch of new products I'd like to use up first.  Should be here in a couple days I'll let you know how it goes.

Offline clint902

• Super Sly
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2020, 11:44:26 AM »
I've used bee bald shaving cream with my de and didn't have any problems.  In fact, I have at least three shaving creams and gels here.  I can't see any difference between them.  I'm just thinking back to the days when my father filled the bathroom sink with water and soaped up his face then shaved with his de.  Nowadays they have a lot more things out there to shave with but just a note, he was the guy who was gonna crucify me when I shaved my head so there's that.

Offline JohnRa

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2020, 06:07:35 AM »
I'd like to try blade shaving. I've always used a wet/dry electric razor on the dome, although I like the way it shaves dry better than wet.

Any suggestions for trying blade shaving? Those starter kits look interesting, but honestly it's a bit intimidating all the way around.

Offline clint902

• Super Sly
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2020, 08:56:34 AM »
I'd like to try blade shaving. I've always used a wet/dry electric razor on the dome, although I like the way it shaves dry better than wet.

Any suggestions for trying blade shaving? Those starter kits look interesting, but honestly it's a bit intimidating all the way around.
1st:   When using a blade, take your time.  Nobody's passing out trophies for who finishes first.
2nd:  Wash your scalp prior to shaving to get rid of salt, oils and dead skin(very important).
3rd:   I add a good lubricant(I use olive oil) to soften things up before applying a shaving cream.  You'll soon discover how important it is to keep things slippery.
4th:  The first pass with the grain to rough it out then if you want it closer and you're comfortable doing so, you can lather up again then shave against the grain.
I guess that's about it however, I'd suggest starting out using a disposable razor then over time, you can try using a de if you want.  Some find a de a bit intimidating but I was brought up using a de so it's not a big deal for me but it's a different thing.  The thing you want to avoid is irritation. 

Offline Laser Man

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2020, 01:26:26 PM »
I tried shaving with a DE several times, but could never get the hang of it, especially in the back, plus I always nicked myself.

Good luck trying the DE. Hope it works for you.

Offline Goatee

• Bald and Proud to be!
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2020, 05:07:07 PM »
I have got and used a DE on my head many times. I do prefer the Mach 3 though.

Offline gwsmallwood

• Sly
  • AZ Sly Guy
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2020, 09:38:41 AM »

Lots of great YouTube tutorials out there.  I just started a channel myself, but I haven't done any tutorials yet.  Pick up a starter kit from Maggard, West Coast Shaving, or Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements and watch some Mantic59 tutorials.  You'll be fine.  My biggest recommendation is don't bother trying to use a mirror for the back of the head.  Go by feel.

Enter your email address: