Author Topic: SAFETY Razor Shave of the Day (SOTD)  (Read 742141 times)

Offline 120inna55

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • 120inna55
Re: SAFETY Razor Shave of the Day (SOTD)
« Reply #1275 on: March 28, 2015, 07:26:09 PM »
Head & face shave.     

Technique:  WTG / XTG / ATG/clean-up.

Prep: Hot shower. Lucky Tiger Face Wash

Soap: Soap Commander - Courage

Brush: Semogue 1250

Razor: The Phoenix Double Open Comb (shimmed x2)

Blade: Astra SP(1)

Post: Fine - Fresh Vetiver, Soap Commander Aftershave Balm - Integrity, 1740 Beard Balm

Pay-off:  Beautiful East Texas early Spring evening.

This was the maiden voyage for the Soap Commander soap.  I really like the deep tub container allowing room for the proto lather.  I then transferred over to a bowl lather in the thrift shop stoneware bowl.  There was no trouble getting a good shiny, dense lather.  I did have to reload after 3 face passes as the lather in the bowl was breaking down.  It was no trouble, though.  Then came 3 easy passes on the dome.  I can't say much for the scent, because it was practically nonexistent.  That's not necessarily a bad thing.  I wasn't quite sure what the combination of Courage's "peppercorn, citrus, and cedar" would be like in the first place.  I'm ambivalent about scents in shaving soaps anyway.  Sure, they add to the experience, but in my experience, it's almost gone after the final rinse.  Then, any lingering scent is often wiped out by the after shave product.

Given my prior experiences with the The Phoenix Double Open Comb, I knew 2 days growth would be laborious, so I tried shimming for the first time.  All I can say is, "wow."  If any of you are as in love with the PDOC as I am, but feel it's too mild to handle 2 or more days of stubble, shim it!  This totally transforms this razor into one that is extremely efficient without losing its signature smoothness.  Some will say if you have to modify the tool, perhaps it's the wrong tool. My retort is that it's perfect for daily shavers---no shimming necessary, but for intermittent shavers with thick, coarse stubble, shimming will keep it in your rotation.  I don't feel like the angle changed at all after the shimming. With this unique design, a lot of the cap comes in contact with the skin.

I'm loving Mr. Fine's Fresh Vetiver.  Excellent performance and a wonderful, steady, lingering scent. There was only a faint sting from the alcohol, but that's attributable to the PDOC's flawless performance.

This was my second use of the Soap Commander Aftershave Balm.  About 30 seconds after application, I'm reminded that it contains the perfect amount of soothing, cooling menthol. I have yet to encounter a balm (or even moisturizing lotion) that even approaches the performance of Soap Commander.  It takes a small--I mean tiny--amount to moisturize my entire scalp and face.  It then proceeds to last for most of the day without even a hint of greasiness. I chose the unscented "Integrity" variety so I could continue to enjoy the Fresh Vetiver.

I finished off with 1740 Beard Balm - Peppermint for my van dyke.  1740 not only softens the coarse beard, but it also provides extra protection around my mouth and nose.

This was a very enjoyable, relaxing shave courtesy of some very talented artisans.

« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 07:27:45 PM by 120inna55 »

Offline 120inna55

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • 120inna55
« Reply #1276 on: March 29, 2015, 06:09:58 PM »
Head & face shave. 1 day growth.

Technique:  WTG / ATG/clean-up.

Prep: Shower. Lucky Tiger Face Wash

Soap: The Los Angeles Shaving Soap Company - "Bespoke #1"

Razor: 1951 Gillette Super Speed "Black Tip" (steel version)

Post: Quick cold shower, Fine's Snake Bite, 1740 Beard Balm Blackout - Deathwish Coffee Infused

Pay-off:  Deathwish Coffee Company - Valhalla Java - Odinforce Blend

I don't usually shave every day, but I was stoked to try out LASSC's Bespoke #1.  The only other soap by LASSC I've used is Myrkvior which is heavenly!  Bespoke performed just like Myrkvior providing a super easy slick, shiny, dense, and durable lather.  I loaded for about 45 seconds, then bowl-lathered.  This provided more than enough lather for a 2 1/2 pass head and face shave. I can't describe the scent very well due to it's complexity.  It evolved throughout the shave.  It was somewhat earthy with a hint of vetiver and a ton of stuff in between.  It was quite enjoyable.  You should check out the ingredients list for Bespoke #1 as it's pretty impressive.

Back in the day, before I developed an appreciation for wetshaving, I used Super Speed's all the time and abused the hell out of them (left them in the shower, Williams and Colgate mug soap probably packed around the TTO mechanism).  I had no technique back then.  And certainly no decent products to speak of.  Yet, they endured, and so did I.  I was always able to get a quick and dirty face shave in the shower courtesy of a hand-me-down Super Speeds.  I have developed a genuine appreciation for the vintage Gillettes.  My 1951 Black Tip is the steel handle variety.  This thing was built to last, and it's flawless function after 64 years is a testament to that.  This is not just a nostalgia shave, mind you.  Coupled with my old standby Astra SP, this is a real performer.

I started shvitzing, in the steamy shower, so I hopped back in for a quick cold shower followed by Mr. Fine's Snake Bite.  I treated the van dyke to 1740 Beard Balm Blackout (the lanolin base) infused with Deathwish Coffee.

Now my wife and I are enjoying a fresh pot of Valhalla Java Odinforce Blend courtesy of Death Wish Coffee Company.  This is probably the best dark roast coffee you can buy.

Enjoy your Palm Sunday, friends. And to my fellow Christians, don't forget to reflect on the significance of this day and the coming week.

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #1277 on: March 31, 2015, 07:40:55 PM »
Tuesday, March 31, 2015 SOTD

Razor:  iKON ShaveCraft #102 w/ Weber Bulldog Handle

Blade:  Feather

Soap:  Mike's Natural Soap:  Barber Shop

Brush:  Semogue 620

Dessert:  Ice cube rub, refrigerated WH, refrigerated FINE Fresh Vetiver

I am really loving the iKON SC #102 Slant razor for my head shaves.  It is just smooth paired up with a Feather blade.  As always . . . Mike's Natural Soap performed great.  The scent of the Barber Shop is manly, clean, fresh, and classic. 

WARHAWK O0
Tough times don't last but tough people do!!!

Offline 120inna55

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • 120inna55
« Reply #1278 on: March 31, 2015, 10:13:51 PM »
Head & face shave. 2 days growth.

Soap: Dapper Dragon Soaps - Black Dragon

Brush: Plisson Synthetic (1st gen)

Razor: Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements' Sidewinder

Post: Fine Aftershave  - American Blend, Soap Commander Aftershave Balm - Integrity, 1740 Beard Balm - Peppermint

This was my first time trying out Dapper Dragon Soap.  Using a slightly damp, insanely soft Plisson, Dapper Dragon loaded very easily. After a moderate amount of water was dribbled in, an incredible amount of lather exploded in the bowl, and it felt like the Plisson doubled in weight.  Since I was trying out a new razor, I took my time with 3 passes on my face before moving on to my head.  There was plenty of lather volume to have done my head without reloading, but it didn't hold up to the amount of time I was taking.  I therefore had to do a quick reload/lather before moving on to my head shave.  This is not really a critique of Dapper Dragon as I think it would have been fine had I moved at my usual pace.

The scent of Black Dragon was pretty interesting.  It was so complex, I had trouble picking out the individual parts.  There was familiar vetiver with a crisp, clean green overtone.  In the middle there was an effervescent, almost medicinal scent that briefly crept in.  After looking at Dapper Dragon's scent profile, I see that anise is mentioned, so that's most likely what I was interpreting.  Towards the end of the shave, the scents settled down to a more earthy, leathery side of musk. It was a very pleasant scent, and I wouldn't mind having a cologne with this exact profile.

As far as performance, I would rate Black Dragon high on the durability scale despite the fact that I needed to recharge.  I was asking a bit much for the lather in the bowl to last as long as I was taking.  It provided excellent protection and glide without feeling like artificial slickness.  I was using an outstanding razor, so there was very little clean-up needed after 3 passes, but the residual lubrication from Black Dragon allowed me to make the clean-up swipes using only a wet hand (no visible lather).  That's a testament to its durable lubrication, and it carried over to a very pleasant, moisturized post-shave feel.  I'm ready to try Dapper Dragon's other offerings, and Black Dragon will certainly stay in my rotation.

Now to that outstanding razor I mentioned.  Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements' latest offering is a beauty.  The Phoenix Sidewinder is a classic 2-piece shaver.  The cap is zinc alloy, and the handle is chrome-plated brass.  By design, the baseplate is not removable, and I can't confirm whether it's zinc alloy or brass.  The cap's stem is relatively short, and the threads catch by just resting the cap on top and then twisting the bottom knob.  Of course, if you are loading a blade, you would most likely invert the razor and install the blade on the cap, and then begin threading.  It's a pretty quick process since the threads catch so easily.  It's not near as awkward as say a Merkur Progress.  Speaking of---because someone's going to try it---other caps may work, so you frankenrazor enthusiasts will have fun experimenting.  My RazoRock Baby Smooth's cap fit, but the Merkur Progress's stem was too long, and it bottomed-out preventing the cap from even approaching the baseplate.  Assembled with the stock cap, my Astra blade had no alignment issues and there was no play even when the bottom was not fully tightened.  So, yes, it would be possible to safely tweak your blade gap by loosening the knob.  However, I found the efficiency to be spot on with it tightened down as it's designed, but more on that later.

There's some obvious tooling marks inside the shaft and what appears to be a transected tension collar just inside the top orifice of the shaft.  It's only visible when the razor is disassembled, and I'm told that is normal for this razor.  I don't believe the bottom knob is removable by design unlike some other 2-piece razors.  There is an obvious spring allowing you to pull down the knob a maximum of about 2mm when the knob is disengaged.  When it's tightened down, it doesn't budge.

Top to bottom, the finish is flawless.  The knurling is finer than PAA's Double Open Comb, but looks like it's still part of the family.  It's an elegant spiral knurling with perfect grippiness that is certainly appreciated by shower shavers.  The planar surface maintains the signature laser-etched Phoenix logo.  The surface is flat so you can balance the razor in a vertical position, but a gentle breeze would be enough to knock it over.

I confirmed the Sidewinder's plump handle diameter to be 14 mm and a hefty weight of 104 grams.  The length is 4 1/4".  While I usually prefer handles on the shorter side, I discovered this is more of an issue of balance.  The Sidewinder was quite intuitive to handle.  I tend to choke up on the razor in tight spaces like that annoying little patch right above my ears, but while shaving the back of my head, it just felt more natural to hold the distal end of the handle.  This is where the length really facilitates head shavers. 

The angle is also quite intuitive with a surprising amount of audible feedback given the inherent density of the material and relative lack of resonance.  It is possible to have the wrong angle, however.  Held correctly, there is no drag from the closed bar.  It glides effortlessly across the skin.

The Sidewinder is very efficient.  It rivals my iKon #102 slant which has been my most efficient razor thus far.  After only one shave, I can't say it beats my iKon #102, but it's certainly in the running.  Due to the excellent efficiency, there was very little clean-up to be done.  My usual problem areas (the crown of my head and occipital region) were about 90% BBS prior to any clean-up.  No doubt the Dapper Dragon soap played a role, but I was able to safely and comfortably take long sweeping passes from the nape of my neck to my frontal hairline.  PAA markets the Sidewinder as an "above medium/aggressive" razor.  I agree with leisureguy that the descriptor, "aggressive," can often have a negative connotation.  While the Sidewinder is very efficient, it accomplishes this without sacrificing comfort.

The Phoenix Sidewinder is a beautiful representation of a classic style that could easily become my workhorse daily driver.

« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 10:17:47 PM by 120inna55 »

Offline 120inna55

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • 120inna55
« Reply #1279 on: April 01, 2015, 05:18:16 AM »
Tuesday, March 31, 2015 SOTD

Razor:  iKON ShaveCraft #102 w/ Weber Bulldog Handle

Blade:  Feather

Soap:  Mike's Natural Soap:  Barber Shop

Brush:  Semogue 620

I am really loving the iKON SC #102 Slant razor for my head shaves.  It is just smooth paired up with a Feather blade.  As always . . . Mike's Natural Soap performed great.  The scent of the Barber Shop is manly, clean, fresh, and classic. 

WARHAWK O0
Great pic as usual, Mel.  I'm loving the Fine Fresh Vetiver, but I miss the old style bottles.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 05:22:31 AM by 120inna55 »

Offline 120inna55

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • 120inna55
« Reply #1280 on: April 02, 2015, 10:41:46 PM »

Soap: Saponificio Varesino - Manna di Sicilia

Razor: RazoRock Baby Smooth

Have you ever had one of those shaves after which you debated actually using an after shave?  I just did.  At this point, the only reason I splashed the Fine is because I wanted to feel the menthol rush.  Even now, about an hour post shave, I keep rubbing my scalp because I can't believe how soft it feels.  This is my first experience with any Saponificio Varesino product, and I'm impressed.  I tend to lean more towards croaps, and I'm not sure why.  At the moment, the only other hard soap in my den is Pre de Provence, and while it performs fine, the scent is too soapy for me.  The SV Manna di Sicilia, however, is a luxurious product.  I'm glad I got the wooden bowl to accompany it, because it just seems to deserve a little classier receptacle.  The scent is very complex, and it's actually still lingering in my restroom.  It started out slightly floral, and then spice wafted in and finally some wood notes were detected.  The bowl-latered product painted on with a silky sheen.  It was not a Hollywood lather by any means, but it was dense and protective.  I did have to reload the Semogue after 3 face passes and before moving on to the 3 head passes, but I'll chalk that up to my relative inexperience with hard soaps.  I will be purchasing more of this.  I store my over-stock of soaps and shaving gear in the top of my closet.  It will take me quite a while to finish off this particular puck, but the extra one will provide a pleasant aroma in the storage area in the meanwhile.

This was also the first time I've used the RazoRock Baby Smooth.  This just might be the quintessential "sleeper" of DE razors in that the almost non-existent weight coupled with the anodized coating makes it feel like a plastic toy razor.  This belies its true nature, which is a no-nonsense, meticulously precisioned tool.  Loaded with my trusty Astra SP, I quickly discovered that I could make some otherwise risky moves and long sweeps on pass number 2 with no repercussions.  It's virtually impossible to hurt yourself with this mild, yet efficient shaver.  After the third pass, very little clean-up was needed to have BBS throughout.  I'm not one who has to have very heavy razor, but the Baby Smooth is probably too light to be my go-to razor, but that's purely personal preference and takes nothing away from its performance.  I will keep it in my arsenal for those days I'm pressed for time.

Tonight's shave was a truly luxurious one.

« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 10:43:19 PM by 120inna55 »

Offline 120inna55

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • 120inna55
« Reply #1281 on: April 04, 2015, 08:53:19 PM »

Prep: Shower. Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements' Preshave Soap & Lather Booster - "Scentsless"

Soap: Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements - "Cavendish"

Razor: Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements' - "The Phoenix Sidewinder"

Blade: Astra SP(2)

Post: Cold shower. Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements' Alcohol-Free Tonic - "Cavendish"

This SOTD looks like an ad for PAA.  It wasn't really intentional, but I just love the Cavendish scent.  I won't bother trying to describe it because it smells exactly like a Cavendish aromatic pipe tobacco possibly of the vanilla variety---heavenly!  If you're not a fan of vanilla, don't let that run you off.  I'm not particularly a fan of artificial vanilla scents, myself, but the vanilla cavendish is different.  I just get lost in the sweetness of it, so I may be wrong about the vanilla.  The soap performs just as prior PAA offerings.  Natively, it's not quite as slick as some of my other artisan soaps, but prepping with their glycerine-based Preshave Soap & Lather Booster takes care of that.

This is the second time I've used the Sidewinder.  I can tell it's going to be my daily driver for a while.  It's one of the most intuitive shavers I've used, and it's an excellent choice for shower shaving.

This is the first time I've used PAA's Alcohol-Free Tonic as an aftershave.  In recent weeks, I've been using it as a cologne because the scent is intoxicating.  While I usually prefer an alcohol-based aftershave, this tonic is an excellent performer.  There was, of course, no immediate sensation, but the pampering ingredients made a huge difference to my scalp.  In my early days of head shaving, I used a home mixture of aloe, witch hazel, and tea tree oil with a touch of lavender essential oil to counter the medicinal tea tree oil scent.  This concoction works great, but the scent was just not to my liking.  PAA's Cavendish tonic accomplishes what I was trying to do, but with a stellar scent.

I'm more of a cigar man, myself, but this Cavendish is giving me the itch to take up pipe smoking aromatics.  Well done Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements!

I couldn't decide which pic I liked best, so here's a bonus pic:

Offline 120inna55

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • 120inna55
« Reply #1282 on: April 07, 2015, 09:16:03 PM »
Head & face shave. 3 days growth.

Prep: Shower. Lucky Tiger Face Wash.

Soap: Stirling Soap Co. - "San Antonio"

Razor: PAA - Phoenix Sidewinder

Post: Quick cold shower rinse. Chiseled Face - "Sherlock" Aftershave Splash. 1740 Beard Balm (Peppermint)

I've been smelling Stirling's "San Antonio" from the puck for over a week trying to figure out what it smells like.  Through the plastic, all I could come up with was "sweet berries."  Today was the first time I used this particular scent from Stirling.  I let it bloom while I showered.  While loading the Semogue, a very powerful sense of "Dr. Pepper" smacked me right in the olfactories.  It was a very sweet, dark cherry, plum, and berry scent.  As I bowl lathered, it transformed to a more complex, mature, and elegant aroma. I was trying to figure out how this translates to San Antonio (a city with which I am quite familiar).  I looked up the scent profile from Stirling's website and found that "San Antonio" is a "nostalgic nod to the candies we would eat while visiting family in South Texas."  This was a very nice touch.  It performed as one would expect from Stirling - spectacularly.  When I first started using Stirling, I thought it was finicky, but I liked it.  I have grown to love it.  The clay adds a consistency I don't find in other soaps.  I've learned to start out with more water right off the bat.  It's actually a very forgiving soap whose lather doesn't fall apart when you make it a little wet like some other tallow-based soaps often do.  The post-shave feel stands up against anything I've tried.

I've reviewed the Sidewinder before, so I won't go into it.  The fact that it's been my daily driver since I bought it should say enough.

I finished off with Chiseled Face's "Sherlock" Aftershave Splash because I love it's performance with just the right amount of menthol and alcohol as well as the benefits of the witch hazel and aloe.  The very unique wet earthy Sherlock scent is quite a contrast to the bright sweetness of San Antonio. The van dyke was tamed by the usual 1740 Beard Balm treatment. 

I finished up just in time to catch a pretty good shot of what is as close to a sunset as we get from our home given we live in the middle of the woods.  I wouldn't have it any other way.

Offline mrzed

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Addicted to head shaving.
« Reply #1283 on: April 09, 2015, 08:20:14 PM »
Mel/Warhawk.

The Mike's Natural Soaps (Hungarian Lavender), arrived today.  Will give it a try in the morning! With a DE razor, new blade.  Report to follow.

Offline Mike E. P.

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #1284 on: April 11, 2015, 10:07:29 AM »
So I feel like I've been cheating on my DE razors. I got a new job with lots more hours so I've been shaving with a Harry's cartridge razor to save time. Today, I treated myself to a nice,long shave with my trusty EJ DE89.  I used a Supermax titanium blade, The Real Shaving Company shave cream, my Semogue Excelsior 1470 and finished off with AquaVelva. I am now super smooth. Oh, and I took off my 6 month beard in honor of spring. I left myself a  goatee. Feeling very clean right now! I have the week off so this will not be my last luxury shave!
Bronx bald and bred!

Offline 120inna55

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • 120inna55
« Reply #1285 on: April 11, 2015, 05:09:29 PM »
I hope I never have to go back to carts in the interest of time!

Offline 120inna55

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • 120inna55
« Reply #1286 on: April 11, 2015, 05:10:47 PM »
Saponificio Varesino - Manna di Sicilia | Ever-Ready 100T w/TGN Finest | Merkur Progress | Astra SP | Fine's Fresh Vetiver | 1740 Beard Balm

First use of my grandfather's restored Ever-Ready courtesy of Thomas Burgess​ (superb work from a classy gentleman)

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #1287 on: April 11, 2015, 07:50:55 PM »
Saturday, April 11, 2015 SOTD

Razor:  Gillette NEW

Blade:  Treet Platinum

Soap:  Jabonman Lavanda

Brush:  Semogue Barbear Classico Texugo

I decided to go vintage and shave with the Gillette NEW.  It has been awhile since I shaved with this legend.  Glad that I did.  As always . . . for me . . . there is nothing better, more relaxing, more challenging, and more fun than shaving the traditional way.

WARHAWK O0

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #1288 on: April 11, 2015, 08:15:04 PM »
@120:  Hi Matt . . .  keep up the great pics, my friend.  Love them!  WOW... you are a lucky man that you have your grandfather's shaving brush.  Now your shaves will have more meaning.  The TGN knots are awesome with the ER handle.

WARHAWK O0

Offline 120inna55

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • 120inna55
« Reply #1289 on: April 11, 2015, 08:43:49 PM »
Thanks, Mel.  I'm glad to see someone chiming in on this thread.  I was beginning to think I was all alone. Heh.

I'm interested in the Treets.  I've heard good things about them.  What's your opinion of them?  What would you compare them to?