Author Topic: SAFETY Razor Shave of the Day (SOTD)  (Read 742162 times)

Offline 120inna55

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • 120inna55
Re: SAFETY Razor Shave of the Day (SOTD)
« Reply #1260 on: March 09, 2015, 05:09:43 AM »
Thanks, Mel.

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #1261 on: March 09, 2015, 10:07:37 PM »
Thanks, Mel.
You welcome, Matt.

WARHAWK O0
Tough times don't last but tough people do!!!

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #1262 on: March 09, 2015, 10:16:03 PM »
Monday, March 9, 2015 SOTD

iKON ShaveCraft #102

Super Iridium

Jabonman:  Brisa de Oriente

Simpson P8

Ice cube rub, refrigerated WH, refrigerated Aqua Velva

Wow!!!  Just had a very relaxing night shave.  It was so good that I am going to sleep
like a newborn baby.  The Jabonman Brisa de Oriente is an intoxicating scent.  It has a
nice, clean, musky, woody, manly scent.  The after effects leave your skin very hydrated.
Gave myself a "slap" of refrigerated Aqua Velva. O0

WARHAWK O0

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #1263 on: March 14, 2015, 03:41:14 PM »
Saturday, March 14, 2015 SOTD

Razor:  iKON ShaveCraft #102

Blade:  Feather

Soap:  Jabonman Citricos

Brush:  Simpson Duke 3

Dessert:  Ice cube rub, refrigerated WH, refrigerated FINE Fresh Vetiver

Wow!!!  I had another super, smooth face and dome shave today.  Loving the Jabonman soaps.  The scents are amazing.  The Citricos has a very fresh, clean, and citrusy scent.  Like all of the Jabonman Shave Soaps the performance is incredible.  Easy lather, super slicky glide, and protection.  Love it!!!

WARHAWK O0

« Last Edit: March 14, 2015, 03:42:57 PM by warhawk »

Offline gwsmallwood

• Sly
  • AZ Sly Guy
« Reply #1264 on: March 17, 2015, 09:34:17 AM »
Tuesday 3/17/15 - St. Patrick's Day Head SOTD

I decided to use some luck of the Irish for a little experimentation today.  I shimmed my 37c.  The results are promising.  The shave wasn't noticeably closer, but it did feel smoother

Hot shower with Oxy Maximum Action wash followed by softening conditioner
Corn Husker's Lotion prep
Mama Bear's Turkish Mocha Soap with Omega 48 boar
Merkur 37c slant with 1 shim + Fresh Astra SP
Cold Rinse followed by Pinaud Clubman Original

2 Pass WTG, XTG DFS.  The area around my crown may have been closer to CCS, but all around a good shave.

Offline 120inna55

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • 120inna55
« Reply #1265 on: March 17, 2015, 07:50:47 PM »
I'm usually a shower shaver, but recently, I've been sink shaving right after a shower. I'm getting a little better at controlling the mess.

Technique:  WTG-->XTG-->ATG/clean-up.

Soap: Stirling Soap Co. "Texas on Fire"

Brush: Semogue 1250 Boar

Razor: iKon Shavecraft #102 Slant

Blade: PolSilver Super Iridium (1)

Pay-off:  Hunter Bay Coffee's Kaffeé Moose Drool

I'd never used a Polsilver before, so I figured 3 days growth was a pretty good test of its abilities.  I can't say if it's better than Astra, but it's at least as good.  It was a gentle, smooth shave.

I highly recommend Stirling Soap.  The post-shave is one of the best.  I love the "Texas on Fire" scent.  The reason I finished with Snake Bite is because of it's relative lack of scent thereby allowing me to enjoy the unique Stirling scent a little longer.

As I type this, I'm working on my second cup of the wonderfully smokey, dark Hunter Bay Coffee's Kaffeé Moose Drool.

I couldn't decide on which pic to post, so here's both!

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #1266 on: March 20, 2015, 07:16:38 PM »
Here is my Wednesday, March 18, 2015 SOTD

Razor:  1969 Gillette Super Adjustable aka "The Black Beauty"

Soap:  RazoRock XXX

Brush:  Semogue 620

It has been awhile since I used the Black Beauty.  Glad that I did because I had a great shave with it.  For those looking for a great bang for your buck shaving soap... I recommend the RazoRock XXX.  The performance is outstanding.  The scent is amazing.  It is a very clean, fresh, manly scent.  Love the RazoRock XXX.

WAHAWK O0

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #1267 on: March 20, 2015, 07:39:42 PM »
Friday, March 20, 2015 SOTD

Razor:  Mongoose B1 w/ BRW Bull Mastiff Deluxe Handle

Blade:  Feather Professional

Soap:  Jabonman Citricos

Brush:  Edwin Jagger STF XL

Had a great shave with the Mongoose.  Love this razor.  The Jabonman Citricos scent is the perfect scent to start the first day of Spring.  The scent is intoxicating.

WARHAWK
« Last Edit: March 20, 2015, 07:41:15 PM by warhawk »

Offline mrzed

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Addicted to head shaving.
« Reply #1268 on: March 20, 2015, 07:48:34 PM »
Mel, you are hard to beat on DE shaving and all your accessories.

I'm still plugging away with the Edwin Jagger razor.  It's getting smoother and smoother each shave.  I still finish up with the HB Sport, but the blades on the sport are lasting a month rather than one week! 

T'was a nice head shave this morning in prep for a conference at work. 

Offline 120inna55

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • 120inna55
« Reply #1269 on: March 21, 2015, 06:09:13 PM »
Head & face shave.     

Technique:  WTG-->XTG-->ATG/clean-up.

Prep: Shower. Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements "Scentsless" Preshave Soap & Lather Booster.

Soap: Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements "Speakeasy"

Brush: Semogue 1250

Razor: Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements Double Open Comb

Blade: Feather Hi-Stainless Platinum Coated (1)

Post: Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements "Speakeasy" Aftershave & Cologne

Can you tell what came in the mail today?  I ordered several things from Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements that I'll be trying out over the next few weeks.

Last week, I received the PAA Double Open Comb.  It's such a beautiful razor, I was certain, it would perform well.  To my dismay, it did not.  It was barely touching my stubble.  I did things I've never had to do before.  I changed blades between passes --- nothing.  I did an insane amount of buffing --- again, nothing.  Finally, in the irrational pursuit of BBS, I did a 4th pass with a different razor (my reliable iKon #102). I was so disappointed in the DOC, but it was so beautiful, I wanted to love it.  I've never had a razor I couldn't figure out.  Sure, some perform better than others, but this one was useless.  I gave it another try two days later, but I had the same poor results.  I even used a considerable amount of pressure.  Any other razor would have destroyed my skin with that much pressure, but I only had a small amount of irritation, and I believe that was from the comb contact and not the blade.  I could see nothing visually wrong with the DOC.

Ultimately, I contacted Frances with Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements.  I received a new razor.  It turns out, my first razor was apparently a dud.  I can't see any difference between the two razors, but for what it's worth, the "faulty" razor is 1.3 grams lighter than the replacement.  At either rate the replacement performs beautifully.  Naked with the stock handle, it weighs in at a light 55.2 grams.  It's a very well-balanced shaver, so I don't see myself upgrading the handle.  The knurling is crisp, but it doesn't snag your skin.  The beautiful mirror finish resembles a rhodium plating.  As others have noted, it's a very mild razor, although not quite as mild as my EJ.  I don't normally do much buffing, but since the DOC is essentially made for such a technique, I did it quite a bit.  It's impossible to knick yourself with this razor.  I've gotten spoiled with slants, so I can't say it's the most efficient razor I've ever used.  However, I'm considering this my actual maiden voyage with the Phoenix Double Open Comb since the first one really shouldn't count.  I must say, Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements made the whole situation right.

Now on to the other gear…I'd never used a pre-shave bar before, so the "Scentsless" from PAA was new to me.  I can't tell if it made any difference in my shave because there were too many variables.  This was also my first use of PAA's soap, so the smooth and slick shave very well may have all been due to the quality soap.  As a croap, it was easy to load with my yet-to-be-completely-broken-in Semogue 1250.  I bowl-lathered and immediately noticed I was going to need a lot more water.  It didn't take long to dial in the soap's requirements, and I quickly got soft peaks and a shiny, dense protective layer on my face and then my scalp.  Initially, the scent was a powdery rose, but by the third pass, I began to detect some woodsy and maybe even merlot overtones.  This was a very subtle scent, by the way, but I liked it.  I'm glad I got the paired aftershave/cologne so I could keep enjoying it.  The aftershave immediately gave me a pretty angry redness.  It contains alum, and I've been known to respond to alum like that.  It passed within about 5 minutes.  My skin is now BBS and quite soft and moisturized. 

Overall, this was quite an enjoyable first run with Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements, and I look forward to trying the other products in the coming weeks.

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #1270 on: March 21, 2015, 09:11:00 PM »
Hi Matt:  Great post and pic.  Enjoyed the review.  Yes... that PAA DOC razor is one sexy looking razor.  Congrats and that was great that they sent you another one to replace the faulty razor.  PAA makes some great soaps.  I have some of their shave soaps when they were Petal Pusher Fancies.  Petal Pusher Fancies and How to Grow a Moustache joined forces within the past 6 months and formed PAA.  Anyways if it is anything like Petal Pusher Fancies than I already know that the PAA soaps are great.

I have heard some great reviews of the CaD and Club Guy.  Club Guy has the scent that is similar to Pinaud Clubman.  If I were to choose one scent it would be the CaD.  I heard the scent is great.  Looking forward to reading your reviews on your upcoming PAA products.
I heard that their after shave splashes are good too and scent last long, too.

WARHAWK O0

Offline 120inna55

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • 120inna55
« Reply #1271 on: March 22, 2015, 06:01:44 AM »
...Petal Pusher Fancies and How to Grow a Moustache joined forces within the past 6 months and formed PAA...
Yeah, they've been one in the same for some time.  But that's a long story, and I'm sure you know that history.  It's irrelevant to me as they have great products, and now, I understand, great customer service.
...I have heard some great reviews of the CaD and Club Guy.  Club Guy has the scent that is similar to Pinaud Clubman.  If I were to choose one scent it would be the CaD.  I heard the scent is great...
I bought CaD as well.  Also Cavendish.  I've only tried the Speakeasy so far.  I keep heaing things about CaD, but I don't know the background.  It must be based on something and there must be some reason for always making it a capital "C", lower case "a", and then capital "C".  Do you know what this is referring to?  (I get a sense it's paying homage to something that's higher dollar.  Sort of how you see Martin de Candre shortened to MdC.)

Anyways, I want to know the story behind the Roman (?) soldier in your pic.

Offline 120inna55

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • 120inna55
« Reply #1272 on: March 26, 2015, 12:10:32 PM »
Head & face shave.     

Technique:  WTG/XTG/ATG/clean-up.

Prep: Shower. Lucky Tiger Face Wash

Soap: Chiseled Face - Sherlock

Brush: Semogue 1250

Razor: Edwin Jagger DE89 with iKon Bamboo handle

Blade: Astra SPP(2)

This is my second time out with Chiseled Face.  Ron Weibe has an incredible product, here.  It's a very easy soap to dial in, but it's also quite forgiving. I tend to like my last pass to be a little thinner if not watery.  The slickness holds up, no matter what. 

The Semogue seems to be over the hump with regard to breaking in.  It sure took it a while, but I understand it's going to last me a good while, now. 

I'd been neglecting my Edwin Jagger DE89 for a while.  It's been nice revisiting it.  It's such a mild, smooth razor, and coupled with an Astra, it's the perfect razor for my head-shaving.  I highly recommend the iKon Bamboo handle.  It has the scallops in just the right place---like it was custom-made for my hand. 

I finished off with Chiseled Face Sherlock Aftershave Splash.  This has only a light amount of sting, which I think is more of a testament to the quality of the overall shave, but I love the menthol.  The scent transforms over a long period.  It initially has an almost uric overtone, but that quickly evolves to earthy, musty, almost mushroom scent.  Then finally a light amount of wet oak leaves with smoke and leather.  Now, about an hour later, there's a faint sweetness, but heavy with leather.  This is an awesome scent!

Here's a pic that I think accurately depicts the pleasant aroma of Sherlock---earthy, wet, but clean.

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #1273 on: March 28, 2015, 12:26:14 PM »

Anyways, I want to know the story behind the Roman (?) soldier in your pic.
Hi Matt:  I got this piece from a local antique shop.  The vendor who was selling it was not present at the time I purchased it.  I just thought it was a cool looking piece to display in my SOTD pic.  I am hoping to one day have my own display case of all my shaving gear in the near future.  I have not yet found a curio that I like.  I might have to hire a person to design my personalize curio.  BTW... love your outdoor pics.  Keep it up. I hope we have more participants here on the Safety Razor Section of the Forum.

WARHAWK O0

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #1274 on: March 28, 2015, 12:32:34 PM »
Saturday, March 28, 2015 SOTD

Razor:  Weber DLC w/ Graphite Black Bulldog Handle

Soap:  Jabonman Lavanda

Brush:  TSN Semogue 2012 LE

Another great face and dome shave.  Ahhhhhh life is great.  I am still loving the Jabonman soaps.  The "Lavanda" is a great lavender scent.  Of course.... the performance is amazing and the post shave effects are super.

WARHAWK O0