Author Topic: SAFETY Razor Shave of the Day (SOTD)  (Read 742228 times)

Offline 120inna55

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • 120inna55
Re: SAFETY Razor Shave of the Day (SOTD)
« Reply #1230 on: February 16, 2015, 04:14:16 PM »
...I am a slant fan, too.
How do you like your iKON 102 Slant?  I have the 37c, iKON Slant (1st gen), and Lutz...

I used the 37c a LOT and I love that razor, but I believe the 102 has it beat.  The only way I know how to describe the 102 is that it has the smoothness of an EJ and the efficiency of the 37c.  There's clearly less blade exposure than that of the 37c, but that doesn't sacrifice efficiency.  It can easily mow through 3-4 day stubble just like the 37c, but it does it more smoothly.  I was hesitant about an aluminum head, but somehow the finish causes a resonant feedback which is very useful when you're shaving the back of your head blindly.  I was also concerned for the lightweight nature of the aluminum, but paired with the stock tuckaway handle, it is perfectly balanced.

Also, a huge difference between the 37c and the 102 is that the 37c twists the blade while angling it, the 102 only angles the head.  It looks a little weird at first, and I even figured it was just a gimmick.  I mean, couldn't I just hold a regular razor at that angle and accomplish the same thing? Maybe, but with the 102, I can treat it like every other DE razor in my arsenal.  My 102 shipped with what some are calling a tuckaway handle.  iKon will let you substitute an OSS handle when you order it, but I kept the tuckaway.  I already had an iKon Bamboo handle(LOVE that handle) to replace the slick handle on my EJ.  I figured if I didn't like the stock tuckaway, I could use the beefier, longer Bamboo.  I've now tried both handles on the 102, and I much prefer the tuckaway.  The balance is better for me and I can choke up on the handle which I prefer to do.

The Merkur 37c is nice razor, but the iKon Shavecraft #102 had taken its title in my book.

Here's some comparison pics:

Here's final pic of my modest collection.  I'm not really trying to be a collector, mind you.  I've just been experimenting.

The 1st one in the line-up is the iKon Shavecraft #102 slant that we're talking about.

The 2nd one is the Merkur 37c.  I noticed after using it about a month, that there's a small chip off the chrome.  This seems to confirm the reports of Merkur's quality control issues.  It obviously doesn't affect the shave, and it's only visible when you disassemble it.

The 3rd one in the line-up is the EJ DE89 with the iKon Bamboo handle. This is a dream to shave with! 

The 4th one is a Merkur progress.  It's another nice razor, but again, I don't need an adjustable.

The 5th one is a 1959 (E3) Fatboy rhodium replate. I used it a few times, but I've got other razors that work as well and don't have the innards of a Fatboy that require a little more care to ensure longevity.

The cased Fatboy is a 1959 (E4).  When I bought it a year ago, the seller claimed it had never been used.  I don't know how he can verify that unless he's the original owner, but it at least "looks" unused.  I haven't decided what to do with the Fatboys, yet.

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #1231 on: February 16, 2015, 07:31:56 PM »
@ Rob6:  Welcome back, my friend.  Don't be such a stranger. 

WARHAWK O0
Tough times don't last but tough people do!!!

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #1232 on: February 16, 2015, 07:37:17 PM »
@120:  Thanks for the slant comparisons.  Love the pics, also. O0  Now you got me intrigued on the iKON 102 slant. ::)  You got a great set-up.  Whatever you do. . . you should
always keep your minty cased 1959 Fatboy.  The prices of a cased Gillette Fatboy are going through the roof.  Keep it.  It is a legendary razor. O0

WARHAWK O0
« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 07:38:52 PM by warhawk »

Offline 120inna55

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • 120inna55
« Reply #1233 on: February 17, 2015, 05:49:16 PM »
Usual head/face shave in the shower with Lucky Tiger Face Wash prep & WTG-->XTG-->ATG/clean-up.

Croap:  Cella
Brush:  Plisson Synthetic (old style / first generation)
Razor:  iKon Shavecraft #102 Slant
Blade:  Astra Superior Platinum (fresh blade)
Post:  Fine Platinum After Shave & 1740 Blackout Beard Balm (Death Wish Coffee infused)

This was my first use of the Plisson synthetic.  It's a nice brush.  I can't say it blows my boars out of the water, but it's at least as good.  I've never used a badger (I'm not admitting to the brief use of the terrible Escali I briefly used), so I can't really compare to badger.  I face lather, so I noticed it was much softer, but the end result was the same.  I may notice a difference if I ever come across a soap that's notoriously difficult to lather.

This was also the first time I used the Fine "Platinum".  I'm happy to have the samplers from Maggard Razors.  I'm not crazy about the Platinum scent, but it performs just as remarkably as the other Fine after shaves.  (I've tried American Blend, Snake Bite, and now Platinum.  American Blend is by far my favorite.)

I can't speak more highly of the 1740 Beard Balm Blackout (infused with Death Wish Coffee).  I highly recommend it for anyone with facial hair or with problems areas of dry or chapped skin.  Their "Blackout" line is lanolin-based.  Their regular is beeswax-based.  Both are excellent options, but the Blackout seems to have longer protection.  They have "naked" that's unscented, and they have peppermint and other scents.  My favorite is the Death Wish Coffee infused one.

This was yet another great shave.  Here's a pic off my front porch:

Offline 120inna55

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • 120inna55
« Reply #1234 on: February 19, 2015, 06:20:58 PM »
Where you guys at?!?

Usual head/face shave in the shower with Lucky Tiger Face Wash prep & WTG-->XTG-->ATG/clean-up.

Croap:  RazoRock XXX
Brush:  Plisson Synthetic (old style / first generation)
Razor:  iKon Shavecraft #102 Slant
Blade:  Astra Superior Platinum (2)
Post:  Speick & 1740 Blackout Beard Balm (Death Wish Coffee infused)

This was kind of an awkward shave today.  My hands and arms were worn out from splitting wood.

XXX is one of the first artisan croaps I've ever used and I keep coming back to it.  I just love the scent.  It's is very slick, almost an artificial slickness, but no so much cushiony.  I've had better post-shave feels.  XXX doesn't dry my skin, per se, but it doesn't leave it moisturized.  As much as Italian Barber irritates me with their inability to keep their stuff in stock, I still love their products.

This is the second time I've used the Plisson synthetic. It's really a nice brush.  Coming around to the third pass, I feared I was out of lather, but there was excess within the brush.  It just exploded with a little water.  I don't know how that brush holds all that soap! For months, I've been using an Omega PRO 48 (a huge boar), so going to the small Plisson took some getting used to, but I've adapted well.  It feels great on my skin.

What more can I say about the iKon Shavecraft #102?  It's become my daily driver.  The amount of stubble is irrelevant to the 102.  I don't think it's even possible to nick myself with this razor equipped with the equally reliable Astra SPs.

I finished up with Speick because it seems to moisturize me a bit more that the Fine.  And of course 1740 Beard Balm Blackout to protect, tame, and condition the van dyke.

Here's a pic of the hardware atop one of my wood piles.

« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 06:27:03 PM by 120inna55 »

Offline 120inna55

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • 120inna55
« Reply #1235 on: February 20, 2015, 05:34:50 PM »

**Croap**:  Myrkviðr by The Los Angeles Shaving Soap Co.

**Brush**:  Semogue 1250 Boar

**Razor**:  Gillette Adjustable "Fatboy" E3

**Blade**:  Astra Superior Platinum (1)

**Post**:  Fine Snake Bite & 1740 Beard Balm (Death Wish Coffee infused)

I think this was my 4th round with Myrkviðr.  I'm becoming even more impressed with this  croap.  It seems impossible to foul up the lather.  Initially the scent didn't do anything for me, but I didn't care because it doesn't linger at all.  But now, I must say it's growing on me.  Today was the first time I noticed the whisky aroma.  I'm a huge single malt scotch fan, so catching a whiff of the whisky immediately flung a craving upon me.  Thus, after a very pleasant 3-pass shave, I currently write this enjoying my all-time favorite scotch, Lagavulin 16 (in a Glencairn glass, for those who care.)

I went back to the Semogue because it still needs some breaking in.  This is a quality brush with quite a bit of backbone but not such that it's uncomfortable in any way. I must admit, it was difficult passing on the Plisson, though.

I haven't used the Fatboy for quite some time.  It's just sitting there on my shelf looking beautiful, I decided to take it for a spin.  It really feels good in the hand.  I just leave it set at 7 for all 3 passes.  I'd gotten so accustomed to the iKon 102, that the first few strokes with the Fatboy took some getting used to.  The angle is quite different.  I got a BBS shave, regardless.  I'm spoiled by the slant, though.

I used the last of my Fine Snake Bite after shave.  It's quite invigorating, but comfortable and soothing.  I imagine this will be my go-to in the warmer months.  I will be purchasing a full-size bottle of this.

I wrapped up with a touch of 1740 Beard Balm (Death Wish Coffee Infused) on the van dyke.

Here's a close-up pic of the hard stuff.

Offline mrzed

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Addicted to head shaving.
Re: SAFETY Razor Shave of the Day (SOTD) Slow is better
« Reply #1236 on: February 20, 2015, 06:10:39 PM »
Ok, so took a second read on the instructions. SLOW, SHORT strokes. Went slower and shorter today with the Edwin Jagger DE razor.  Ah! much nicer. It's getting smoother.

Sorry, Mel. I did not use the COLD green after shave (forgot the name right now).  It was only 5 degrees here this morning. Too cold for a cold after shave.

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #1237 on: February 20, 2015, 07:07:04 PM »
@120:  I'm loving your pics, my friend.  If you want your Semogue to "break in" quicker you should perform test lathers on your face and dome every 2 or 3 days. 

WARHAWK O0

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #1238 on: February 20, 2015, 07:09:06 PM »
@MrZed...Hi Dan:  The green after shave splash you are referring to is the legendary Osage Rub.

WARHAWK O0

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #1239 on: February 20, 2015, 07:19:17 PM »
Friday, February 20, 2015 SOTD

Razor:  Cobra Classic

Blade:  Feather Professional

Soap:  Art of Shaving Sandalwood Soap (Tallow)

Brush:  Edwin Jagger STF XL

Dessert:  Ice cube rub, refrigerated WH, refrigerated FINE Fresh Vetiver

This is my very 1st time using the AOS Sandalwood Soap (tallow version).  AOS discontinued their tallow soap and their new formula is more inferior to the original
version.  This shave soap performed great.  Love the sandalwood scent and the performance
was superb.  Great slick, cushion, and glide.  My 1st time revisiting the CC since I got the Mongoose and this shaved confirmed that the Mongoose is a Cobra killer.  Miss my Mongoose but I have placed it on a temporary vacation so I can enjoy my other razors. 

WARHAWK O0

Offline 120inna55

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • 120inna55
« Reply #1240 on: February 20, 2015, 07:32:26 PM »
Mel, that CC is a thing of beauty, though! I'd love to have one, but they're too high for just beauty.

As far as breaking in the boar...yep, I've been daily palm lathering when I'm not using it.  I also accelerated the break-in with a long soak followed by a lather and left it overnight.  That usually moves it along.  It's pretty close.

It's not like I need another boar, but Italian Barber has these back in stock:

Offline Mike E. P.

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #1241 on: February 22, 2015, 10:10:36 AM »
Relaxing but arduous shave this morning.  My fault for letting my hair grow for a week.  I’ll not let that happen again.  But the end result is a nice, smooth and shiny bald head.

Razor:      1955 Gillette Black Tip Super Speed

Blade:     Tiger Super Max

Brush:     Body Shop Synthetic

Cream:     Cella Classica with a few drops of Shave Secret

Method:  WTG-XTG-ATG

After:     Brut Classic

Accompaniment:  Stevie Nicks on Spotify and Hazelnut Coffee (see Dan, no alcohol this time)

This shave was more work than usual.  Maybe because of all the stubble.  Usually, this Superspeed is a favorite, but using it was coming off my using my Slim Adjustable.  Maybe the Slim is just a better razor for me.  Also, I have not used this synthetic brush in forever.  It was my first brush and really pales compared to my badgers.  It made a nice lather in the mug, but didn’t transfer to my head so much.  I added a little more water and things got better.  I think I just have to learn how to use it.

I think all will go better in two days when I am not fighting so much hair!

Bronx bald and bred!

Offline 120inna55

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • 120inna55
« Reply #1242 on: February 22, 2015, 05:39:08 PM »
Relaxing but arduous shave this morning.  My fault for letting my hair grow for a week.  I’ll not let that happen again.  But the end result is a nice, smooth and shiny bald head.

Razor:      1955 Gillette Black Tip Super Speed

Blade:     Tiger Super Max

Brush:     Body Shop Synthetic

Cream:     Cella Classica with a few drops of Shave Secret

Method:  WTG-XTG-ATG

After:     Brut Classic

That's a nice black tip, Mike.  Seeing that mug, almost makes me want to go back to bowl lathering - sweet!

I've never heard of Tiger blades.  Where are they made?  Can you give me an idea as to what blades they are similar?

Offline 120inna55

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • 120inna55
« Reply #1243 on: February 22, 2015, 05:43:39 PM »
Also, Mike, you need to try a slant.  Even if only for those days with 4+ days of growth.  The slant can't tell the difference.

Offline 120inna55

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • 120inna55
« Reply #1244 on: February 22, 2015, 06:05:04 PM »

Croap:  Myrkviðr by The Los Angeles Shaving Soap Co.

Brush:  Semogue 1250 Boar

Razor:  iKon Shavecraft #102 Slant with iKon Bamboo Handle

Blade:  Astra Superior Platinum (3)

We're having another cold snap here in East Texas, so I'm putting my firewood to good use.  There's even some "threat" of wintry precipitation.  I'm hesitant to even mention that, because in most cases here, that doesn't even mean accumulation. I know many of you will laugh, but for East Texas, it's somewhat of a rarity.

I'm officially in love with Myrkviðr.  I'm ready to try some other offerings from Los Angeles Shaving Soap Company.  Today, instead of whisky, I picked up on an earthy, moist green scent.  The protection of this vegan soap is incredible.

I'm still breaking-in the Semogue but it's performing great as is.

As I've stated before, I love my iKon 102 slant with the stock tuckaway handle.  Previously, I'd tried coupling it with my iKon Bamboo handle and found the balance was off.  However, the Bamboo handle couples perfectly with my EJ, so I thought I'd give it another try.  This time went a little better, but I'm going back to the tuckaway handle on my 102.  The Bamboo won't go to waste, though.  I will pick up the EJ again.

Given the cold and the fact that the wood stove is drying the air in my home, Speick finished it off again due to it's moisturizing properties.  Plus, I just love the scent of Speick.

The van dyke got the 1740 Beard Balm treatment.  Tonight, just to mix it up a little, I decided to use the Peppermint version.

As far as the wood stove, it's an Englander.  It keeps it downright balmy in our small home.  This is 18" above the flu (this is a probe gauge, so the temp is of the internal gas, not the surface of the double-wall pipe.)

My mother made the afghan.  Growing up, there was a crocheted afghan courtesy of Mom on every bed and the back of every chair.

Enter your email address: