Author Topic: SAFETY Razor Shave of the Day (SOTD)  (Read 742094 times)

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: SAFETY Razor Shave of the Day (SOTD)
« Reply #1020 on: July 20, 2014, 04:39:46 PM »
Yesterday's SOTD:  Saturday, July 19, 2014

Razor:  Cobra Classic

Blade:  Feather Professional

Cream:  Truefitt & Hill West Indian Lime

Brush:  Semogue 620

Dessert:  Ice cube rub, refrigerated WH, refrigerated Osage Rub

I had a great shave with the Cobra Classic.  Love the aggressiveness of this razor paired with a Feather blade.  For those looking for a quality boar brush, I highly recommend a Semogue 620.

WARHAWK O0
Tough times don't last but tough people do!!!

Offline 120inna55

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • 120inna55
« Reply #1021 on: July 20, 2014, 05:23:23 PM »
Razor:  Cobra Classic
I've always wanted to try a Cobra Classic.  It's beautiful.  The other razor in my want list is the Feather ASD2.  Those are apparently polar opposites in terms of aggression.  My scalp prefers a mild razor while my face seems to take anything I throw at it.  I guess that's why I like the Merkur Progress, allowing me to change on the fly.  My only complaint with the Merkur is the lack of knurling on the handle.  I shower-shave and I get soap all over my hands.  That Merkur gets difficult to hold on to with all that soap.  I do have a '59 Fat Boy on order, though.  If I can find a comparable range on the FB, I'll bet it's easier to hold.  The heft of the FB is also a selling factor.

That said, I want to try the Cobra just for the looks of it.  Plus I've never used an injector before.  How is the weight of the Cobra Classic?

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #1022 on: July 20, 2014, 05:34:28 PM »
The CC is a great razor. It shaves as it as it looks.  Love it.  It is heavy just like the Progress.

WARHAWK O0

Offline gwsmallwood

• Sly
  • AZ Sly Guy
« Reply #1023 on: July 22, 2014, 09:46:32 AM »
First shave with the 37c.  No nicks or irritation.  Good shave.  I've read a lot about the 37c prior to committing to it, and I have to say, there's nothing magical about it.  The shave wasn't significantly closer or anything, but I do think there was less irritation than usual, and I needed 1 less pass and no cleanup for the same shave I usually get with the Feather Popular.

Prep:
•   Hot shower
•   Head & Face Wash: Oxy Maximum Action
•   Pre-Shave:  Shave Secret (also used lightly between passes)
•   Brush:  Van Der Hagen Boar Brush
•   Soap: Uberlather with Van Der Hagen Shaving Soap, Liquid Glycerin Soap, and Gillette  Sensitive Shave Gel

Hardware:
•   Razor:  Merkur 37c
•   Blade:  Fresh Derby

Technique:
•   Bowl lather
•   3 passes - WTG, XTG first direction, XTG opposite direction

Finish:
•   Cold Water Rinse
•   Walgreen's Brand Witch Hazel

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #1024 on: July 23, 2014, 12:07:05 AM »
Monday Night, July 22, 2014 SOTD

Razor:  Merkur 37G

Blade:  Super Iridium

Soap:  Mystic Water Bay Rum

Brush:  Simpson P8

Dessert:  Ice cube rub, refrigerated WH,  refrigerated Osage Rub

I had a very relaxing, super, smooth shave with the 37G.  It is basically the same razor as the 37C except for the gold plating.  Every time, I use either the 37C or 37G, I get some incredible face and dome shaves. 

WARHAWK O0

Offline gwsmallwood

• Sly
  • AZ Sly Guy
« Reply #1025 on: July 23, 2014, 08:08:51 AM »
Second shave with the slant.  Same setup, 2nd use of the Derby.  Still a big improvement from the Popular, but I wouldn't say that I Love it...yet.  I think I still need to figure out which blade works best, and when it comes to shaving your head, I don't think you can use it just like a normal safety bar DE.  Because you are doing it by feel on your head most of the time, I think there's a tendency to adjust the head so that the blade is sliding across your skin at the same angle as any other DE.  I noticed when shaving the sides that if I paid more attention to that, the hair seemed to just fall away on each stroke.

Still a really good CCS on only three passes with no touch up and no irritation, which is very good for me on 1 day stubble.

First shave with the 37c.  No nicks or irritation.  Good shave.  I've read a lot about the 37c prior to committing to it, and I have to say, there's nothing magical about it.  The shave wasn't significantly closer or anything, but I do think there was less irritation than usual, and I needed 1 less pass and no cleanup for the same shave I usually get with the Feather Popular.

Prep:
•   Hot shower
•   Soap: Uberlather with Van Der Hagen Shaving Soap, Liquid Glycerin Soap, and Gillette  Sensitive Shave Gel

Hardware:
•   Blade:  Fresh Derby

Technique:
•   Bowl lather
•   3 passes - WTG, XTG first direction, XTG opposite direction

Finish:
•   Cold Water Rinse

Offline Goatee

• Bald and Proud to be!
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #1026 on: July 23, 2014, 10:53:01 AM »
Aren't you supposed to use it like an ordinary DE shaver?

Offline gwsmallwood

• Sly
  • AZ Sly Guy
« Reply #1027 on: July 23, 2014, 12:52:52 PM »
I've only used it twice now, but from what I can tell it's a very subtle difference.  Since the blade is twisted, it is meant to pass down your face with the long edge of the blade at an angle to the pass (not referring to blade angle w/ respect to the face.  That should stay the normal 30 degrees). 

When shaving your face, it's very easy to visually keep the head perpendicular to the pass (just like with any other razor) thus ensuring that the twisted blade stays at an angle to the pass.  When shaving your head, which is done more by feel, especially in the back, so far I have a tendency to want to adjust the angle of the head to make the blade feel the same as my standard safety bar razors.

My guess is that I just need more time with it so I can learn to feel when the slant is at the proper alignment.

Aren't you supposed to use it like an ordinary DE shaver?

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #1028 on: July 23, 2014, 09:05:13 PM »
@GWS:  One thing I learned about shaving the traditional way is that you must have patience.  Most especially when shaving your dome.  Be patient and your 37c will reward you with great shaves.  Hope you find the blade that works for you.  For me... the slant and Feather and Super Iridium work best for me.  Keep us posted and don't give up.

WARHAWK O0

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #1029 on: July 23, 2014, 09:12:47 PM »
Here's a lather shot from Monday's SOTD.

WARHAWK O0

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #1030 on: July 24, 2014, 06:16:15 AM »
Today will be my 5th day in a row shaving with my old DE. I am really enjoying it. Lucky I'm retired, as I have plenty of time to dedicate to shaving. No cuts or irritation! Might be time to upgrade the equipment. Thanks for all the tips, guys.
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline gwsmallwood

• Sly
  • AZ Sly Guy
« Reply #1031 on: July 24, 2014, 06:27:57 AM »
Great early morning shave today (Thursday I get up at 4 am for Man Church).  Tried the Personna Labs for the first time.  Definitely closer than the Derbys, but felt a little more irritation.  Not sure if I'm getting more comfortable with the slant and starting to use too much pressure, or if maybe the Personna Labs are one of those blades that give better 2nd use shaves.

On the positive side I was able to complete 3 full passes with one bowl of lather today.  I think my lather technique is getting better.  I'm also getting closer to the bottom of the soap, so I think the brush might be loading better.  Definitely time to upgrade from the Van Der Hagen soap.  Oh yeah, 3rd time using the slant and still no nicks.  Light touch and nothing to fear.

Prep:
•   Hot shower

Hardware:
•   Blade:  Fresh Personna Lab (Personna Blue)

Technique:
•   Bowl lather
•   3 passes - WTG, XTG, GTX

Finish:
•   Cold Water Rinse

Offline Fondlheine

• Sly Jr.
  • Lost in the wreckage...
« Reply #1032 on: July 24, 2014, 10:46:54 AM »
I use lab blue's and med prep's mostly, the blue tends to do a little better on a second shave if I don't work a new blade first (run it on a strop or stone).  The med prep's are good from the start.

Offline Goatee

• Bald and Proud to be!
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #1033 on: July 24, 2014, 12:33:06 PM »
Touched up with a Fusion today. Boy, was that a bad idea!! DE every time!!

Offline Mike E. P.

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #1034 on: July 24, 2014, 03:37:19 PM »
I don't usually shave this time of the day, but I picked up this "new" razor at an antique shop today and I couldn't resist. I got home, cleaned it up, and couldn't wait to give it a go.

Razor:  1951 Gillette Black Tip Super Speed

Blade: Gillette Silver Blue Stainless

Brush: GBS Pure Badger

Pre:  Shave Secret/ Proraso Sapone Da Barba

After:  Nivea Men Sensitive Post Shave Balm/ Brut Classic

All in all, a very nice shave. The Black Tip felt very comfortable in my hand and gave me a sweet, gentle shave - thoroughly enjoyable.

There was also a 1967 Gillette Super Speed Black Handle in the shop, but wasn't sure if that would be worth picking up. It wasn't in as good condition as the Black Tip.
Bronx bald and bred!