Author Topic: SAFETY Razor Shave of the Day (SOTD)  (Read 741698 times)

Offline theebaldguy

• Sly Penguin
  • Super Sly
Re: SAFETY Razor Shave of the Day (SOTD)
« Reply #375 on: November 10, 2012, 07:44:28 PM »
Did you soak the soap and brush in hot water before you lathered up?  I find it hard to believe any shave soap is worse than head slick!

The brush? Yes. The soap? No. I didn't realize you were supposed to soak the soap in hot water. I guess that would explain why the soap was hard as a rock!  :-[

I'll have to give the soap another chance.
Just say no to rugs!

Offline Bluebriz

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #376 on: November 11, 2012, 03:47:29 AM »
For a hard soap I would drip some hot water on it to soften it up next time you try.  Especially with new soaps they can have a hard surface for a while, and you might have to do 100 plus swirls on the soap with the wet brush before face or bowl lathering. 
Let us know how it goes next time.

theman

« Reply #377 on: November 11, 2012, 10:32:56 AM »
Would someone be so kind as to enlighten me about soaking , washing bore brush's to get the smell out of them.   I read this the other day and wondered if in fact it was true.  I have had a few brushs over the years but never have had a problem with this.  Has anyone else?
Thanks

Offline Bluebriz

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #378 on: November 11, 2012, 07:06:29 PM »
@thebaldguy some good info about lathering here http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/Interactive_Guide_to_Lathering

theman

« Reply #379 on: November 12, 2012, 12:30:37 PM »
Did you soak the soap and brush in hot water before you lathered up?  I find it hard to believe any shave soap is worse than head slick!

The brush? Yes. The soap? No. I didn't realize you were supposed to soak the soap in hot water. I guess that would explain why the soap was hard as a rock!  :-[

I'll have to give the soap another chance.
It's all good bro. ,  I hate to read instructions and ideas.  LMAO , I got that there common sense , if I can't do nobody can .  My X after 31 had a few comments about that ! :*)) :*)) :*)) :*)) :*))

theman

« Reply #380 on: November 12, 2012, 12:53:53 PM »
A Great Shave for the head, and face !  Wow I for got how much that DE Razor felt.  In hot water !  I got used to Fusion's, and others like the wack and through !  Whack and throw are just that, maybe to shaves if your lucky.  Fusions, nice but who now days can afford a the blades ?

Took a hot shower , shaved the dome with HB slick, and HB sport, got out and shaved the ole face with Van Derhagen Brush, Soap !  And Gillette vintage Regus DE in front of the Gem box !  Slapped some Aqua Velva on and there is no better feeling than a nice clean shave of the head, face !  Washing the rest of the body ! ;)

You all have a great day !   :) 

Offline Bluebriz

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #381 on: November 12, 2012, 04:58:00 PM »

This morning's face shave:
Feather artist Club SS razor
Feather pro guard blade
Godrej cream
Omega boar brush
Witch hazel
444 balm with Razorock tea tree and eucalyptus aftershave!

Left me feeling smooth, clean, and fresh!  So glad I got back on the straights!

theman

« Reply #382 on: November 12, 2012, 05:06:16 PM »

This morning's face shave:
Feather artist Club SS razor
Feather pro guard blade
Godrej cream
Omega boar brush
Witch hazel
444 balm with Razorock tea tree and eucalyptus aftershave!

Left me feeling smooth, clean, and fresh!  So glad I got back on the straights!
Nice there BlueBriz, and thankyou for the pic's .  Sweet I wish , I had the skills ! O0

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: Re: SAFETY Razor Shave of the Day (SOTD)
« Reply #383 on: November 13, 2012, 10:56:30 AM »
@Bluebriz:  Brian....I love your pic of the SOTD.

WARHAWK
Tough times don't last but tough people do!!!

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #384 on: November 13, 2012, 11:03:45 AM »
I had an outstanding BBS face and dome shave using the Weber DLC w/ Bulldog Handle (on left) for face & Weber ARC w/ Wave Handle (on right) for dome.  I finished it off with an ice cube rub and refrigerated Osage Rub.

Razor:  Weber DLC w/ Bulldog Handle (face)
Razor:  Weber ARC w/ Wave Handle (dome)

Blade:  Gillette 7 o'clock Blacks (sharp, smooth, unforgiving)

Cream:  Taylor of Old Bond Street Sandalwood Shaving Cream

Brush:  Semogue 620

WARHAWK

Offline theebaldguy

• Sly Penguin
  • Super Sly
« Reply #385 on: November 13, 2012, 05:09:12 PM »
November 13th, 2012 SOTD:

Razor:  Edwin Jagger DE89L

Blade:  Astra SP (thanks to warhawk!)

Cream:  Edge gel from a can mixed with a bit of Head Slick

Brush: cheap Van Der Hagen

The Astra blade seemed pretty good. I shaved my face and head with it. No irritation, only nick is a small mole behind ear that bled for a few seconds. I have several small moles that are not usually bothered by the Fusion. The DE blade seems to get them every time.
Just say no to rugs!

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #386 on: November 13, 2012, 05:24:27 PM »
@Theebaldguy:  Sounds like you had a successful DE shave.  Glad that you are just taking the direct plunge and also DE shaving the dome.  That is what I did when I 1st discovered DE shaving.

Not to tell you what to do but if you try a quality shave soap like Mike's Natural Soap, RazoRock, and Mystic Water Soap; it will vastly improve your shaves.  If you go with shave creams... I recommend Taylor of Old Bond Street Shaving Creams.  They all provide creamy, thick lather and provide great cushion and glide.

Glad that you are participating in the Safety Razor SOTD.  Keep us posted on your DE journey and feel free to ask questions so that we can help you have a smooth DE journey.

WARHAWK O0

Offline theebaldguy

• Sly Penguin
  • Super Sly
« Reply #387 on: November 13, 2012, 07:04:57 PM »
@Warhawk,

Yeah, I just decided to go for it and use the DE on the face and dome. I'm still a bit nervous about using it on the dome. I guess that will pass with time. I know that I need a good cream or soap, but money is really an issue, so I'm trying to get by with what I have on hand until I use it up.
Just say no to rugs!

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #388 on: November 14, 2012, 11:09:29 AM »
I  skipped my dome shave today but had an incredible BBS face shave.  Finished it off with an ice cube rub & refrigerated Osage Rub,  Aaaaahhhh life is good.  Hope everyone has a great day and enjoy your shaves.

Razor:  Weber DLC w/ UFO Torpedo Handle

Blade:  Feather

Cream:  Taylor of Old Bond Street Sandalwood Shaving Cream

Brush:  Semogue 620

WARHAWK

Offline theebaldguy

• Sly Penguin
  • Super Sly
« Reply #389 on: November 14, 2012, 05:23:40 PM »
Another shave in the can. Only difference from last one is that I used the EJ DE89L and the Gillette Fusion.

A couple of observations: (ok, three)

1. The areas shaved with the Fusion feel slightly raw. I'm not sure if this is directly due to the Fusion, the fact that I'm less careful with Fusion since it's less likely to cut me, the impromptu mix of Edge gel and Head Slick, or all of the above.

2. The fragrance of canned goo is not appealing. I'm not sure why this is obvious to me now, when I've been using it all along.  :/O

3. It will take some time to get used to shaving with a DE razor. It's much heavier than the Fusion, and the handle is shorter.
Just say no to rugs!