Author Topic: SAFETY Razor Shave of the Day (SOTD)  (Read 741811 times)

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: SAFETY Razor Shave of the Day (SOTD)
« Reply #105 on: July 30, 2012, 08:45:35 PM »
Pic of my safety razor SOTD.
Tough times don't last but tough people do!!!

Offline Bluebriz

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #106 on: July 30, 2012, 11:04:28 PM »
Nice pic Mel!

Offline waine

• just waine
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Proudly Sly since 30 April 2012.
« Reply #107 on: July 31, 2012, 05:38:52 AM »
Head (at sink)

Razor : HeadBlade
Blade : Gillete Contour plus
Soap  : Supermax shaving cream
Brush : Tweezerman
A/S    : Old Spice

Face (at sink)

Razor : SABI DE
Blade : Supermax Titanium
Soap  : Supermax shaving cream
Brush : Tweezerman
A/S     : Old Spice

Comments;

Today I used a Supermax Titanium blade.  This is one of the better razors I have used which gives me three very decent, irritation free shaves.  One of the best "Value for money" blades I have found so far.

"Three things you cannot escape; tax, death and dirt..."

Offline wonderer

• Super Sly
« Reply #108 on: July 31, 2012, 07:06:29 AM »
What about that battery operated Gillette Fusion!?

Offline waine

• just waine
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Proudly Sly since 30 April 2012.
« Reply #109 on: July 31, 2012, 07:33:40 AM »
@Wonderer

I don't think that qualifies for a mention on "Safety Razor shave of the Day."  Perhaps under the "Cartridge Rip off of the day" section.

;D
"Three things you cannot escape; tax, death and dirt..."

Offline wonderer

• Super Sly
« Reply #110 on: July 31, 2012, 08:13:31 AM »
Waine -i know i just had to hear this  :*))

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: Re: SAFETY Razor Shave of the Day (SOTD)
« Reply #111 on: August 01, 2012, 03:18:37 PM »
It was a quiet afternoon so I took advantage of it and had a great, relaxing afternoon shave/

Face shave (sink)

Razor:  Weber ARC
Blade:  SuperMax Sunrise
Soap:  Mike's Natural Soap (lemongrass)
Brush:  Semogue 620

Dome shave (shower)

Same as above.

This was my first time using the Super Max Sunrise.   It is the newest blade by Super Max.  It is made in India.  It is a stainless steel blade that performed great on my face shave but not as good on the dome shave.   With that said.... this is still a good blade and look forward to experimenting with it.  Of course... I finished it off with a cold water rinse, ice cube rub, and Osage Rub.  Nice BBS shave.

WARHAWK

Offline BillOnBass

• Super Sly
« Reply #112 on: August 03, 2012, 05:58:32 PM »
Hey guys,

Well, had the best shave of my life today.  I finally found the perfect cutting angle for my blade and it's made all the difference.  I probably had 10-12 DE shaves before I found that sweet spot, and man, I understand what all the fuss is about now.  My head and face are the smoothest they ever have been with zero irritation and no nicks. 

On a side note, I received my shipment of 100 Astra SP blades for $12 ($10 + shipping)!  After Warhawk graciously sent me a sample of the Astra SPs and I used a few of them I decided that this would be a great value for me.  On top of being an excellent shave, think about the money you DE fencers would save!!  100 blades for $12 or 4 cartridges for close to $20.  No brainer.

Razor:  EJ de89
Blade:  Astra SP
Brush:  Vulfix 1016
Soap:  VDH soap and ToBS cream with added glycerin and Shave Secret
A/S:     Cold water and Osage Rub
"There he goes.  One of God's own prototypes.  A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production.  Too weird to live, and too rare to die."

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #113 on: August 03, 2012, 08:10:11 PM »
While I was at Wally World yesterday i boght a 10 pack of Wilkinson Sword DE blades for $1.76 (US). A FREAKIN' DOLLAR AND SEVENTY SIX CENTS!!! Are you kidding me? Anyway... great shave from these blades!!! WHy would guys not try this way of shaving?

Inexpensive, relaxing and the best shaves they'll ever have!!! Quit watching the commercials Guys.... listen to your SLY brothers and try wet shaving!!
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #114 on: August 03, 2012, 08:57:28 PM »
@BillonBass:  Congrats on finding your go to blade.  I am glad that you like the Atra SP blades & congrats  on pulling the trigger on a your 1st 100 pack purchase.

@MikeKoz13:  I am glad you are thoroughly enjoying safety world journey.

Both of you have really gotten into the traditional way of shaving and I hope you continue to enjoy your journey.  I know I am. O0

WARHAWK O0
« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 09:00:11 PM by warhawk »

Offline DCSlyOne

• Drives With The Top Down
  • Sly Jr.
  • At My Sunday Best
« Reply #115 on: August 04, 2012, 10:45:47 AM »
I have read through this entire thread, and you guys are making me seriously consider shaving off the face fuzz for good!  I obviously have been mistreating my face and scalp.  Also, going bare face would probably make me want to shave more, as I get tired of trying to keep a correct line and shape to my beard, and I lose the joy of what should be an awesome ritual.

Warhawk, expect a PM from me, so I can get more details on where to purchase the right equipment and supplies.

Excellent thread, gentlemen!
« Last Edit: August 04, 2012, 10:48:17 AM by DCSlyOne »
[img width= height= alt=ImageChef]http://cdn-users1.imagechef.com/ic/stored/2/090912/purf3b33834440fda29.jpg[/img]

Offline BillOnBass

• Super Sly
« Reply #116 on: August 04, 2012, 11:26:26 AM »
I have read through this entire thread, and you guys are making me seriously consider shaving off the face fuzz for good!  I obviously have been mistreating my face and scalp.  Also, going bare face would probably make me want to shave more, as I get tired of trying to keep a correct line and shape to my beard, and I lose the joy of what should be an awesome ritual.

Hi,

I'd say more guys than not in this thread have facial hair!  You don't have to get rid of the goat; I shave around mine and with a single razor edge it makes shaping it up even easier!   
"There he goes.  One of God's own prototypes.  A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production.  Too weird to live, and too rare to die."

Offline Laser Man

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #117 on: August 04, 2012, 12:04:54 PM »
I have read through this entire thread, and you guys are making me seriously consider shaving off the face fuzz for good!  I obviously have been mistreating my face and scalp.  Also, going bare face would probably make me want to shave more, as I get tired of trying to keep a correct line and shape to my beard, and I lose the joy of what should be an awesome ritual.

Hi,

I'd say more guys than not in this thread have facial hair!  You don't have to get rid of the goat; I shave around mine and with a single razor edge it makes shaping it up even easier!   

I agree. The DE makes trimming around the goatee pretty easy. 

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #118 on: August 04, 2012, 01:12:22 PM »
@DCSlyOne:  I keep a well maintained goatee with a super slick dome.  Glad that you have some interest in the traditional way of shaving.  Once you have taken that plunge and be patient... you are gonna experience the very best smoooothest shaves of your life.  O0

WARHAWK O0

Offline ProphetNoir

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #119 on: August 04, 2012, 01:44:08 PM »
What a great thread!  Thanks for getting this one started Warhawk.

My SOTD consists of the same components except for which soap or cream I choose.

For today:
Razor: Edwin Jagger Bulbous Lined
Blade: NOS Gillette Platinum (Swedes)
Brush: Edwin Jagger Medium Silvertip
Soap:  NOS Penhaligon's English Fern
A/S:    Razorock Alum Block; Generic Witch Hazel; Nancy Boy Replenishing After Shave Balm

« Last Edit: August 04, 2012, 04:13:51 PM by ProphetNoir »