Author Topic: Why men should not fear balding...  (Read 147365 times)

Offline Itsonlyinmyhead

• When will it happen?
  • Sly
Re: Why men should not fear balding...
« Reply #45 on: April 23, 2007, 12:36:35 PM »
Well Ive just got to convince my mate, he has a quite bad receeding hairline(as in its pushing back to a horseshoe shape) but I dont wanna say anything because I dont want anything awkard. But I suspect he will be my likeliest option and to do it for charity would be a bonus.

I have got to buzz it down first, I want to but Im so scared, probably because I think it will look mega thin when its down to a 1 or a 2

Offline Stu

• Sly Bureau
    • Hope is just around the corner...
« Reply #46 on: April 23, 2007, 04:20:40 PM »
Well Ive just got to convince my mate, he has a quite bad receeding hairline(as in its pushing back to a horseshoe shape) but I dont wanna say anything because I dont want anything awkard. But I suspect he will be my likeliest option and to do it for charity would be a bonus.

I have got to buzz it down first, I want to but Im so scared, probably because I think it will look mega thin when its down to a 1 or a 2

If your hair loss is as bad as you say (no picture to judge), don't be scared about buzzing it down.  Everyone already knows that you're losing your hair.  Think of it like this, you are saying to the world, 'hey, I know I'm losing my hair, but I'm not going to look stupid by trying to cover it up.'  There's no way to cover up losing your hair unless you walk around with a ball cap on 24x7.  And I have yet to see a 'good' combover.  Good luck!
How is that Hopey / Changey thing working for you?

http://obamaclock.org/

Offline Professor Melon

• Professor Melon
  • Super Sly
  • Professor Melon
« Reply #47 on: April 23, 2007, 04:35:34 PM »
 >:( Dear Itsonly: Cut the crap! Get out your razor and shave it off. Stop equivocating.  You won't regret that you did. Get off the fence: either go on desperately denying your baldness, or shave off what remains and claim the high ground.  You'll be liberated as soon as you embrace your slick dome. It's you, man, only your backward view is blocking your progress. Professor Melon
Embrace the bald truth

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #48 on: April 23, 2007, 06:21:22 PM »
>  You'll be liberated as soon as you embrace your slick dome. It's you, man, only your backward view is blocking your progress. Professor Melon

The Professor speaks the truth.  I can remember going through the "fear stage" that you are in right now,  and the relief I felt once I'd actually gone through with the deed.  After that, the toughest part was going to work for the first time without any hair.   I was almost physically ill the closer I got to the office that morning, but the whole thing turned out to be a huge non-event.  Got a few compliments, most people didn't react at all.  I got a bigger reaction when I buzzed down to a #1 for the first time.

The whole thing made me realize, that while we can concoct all sorts of excuses not to go sly (work, you're too fat, too thin, too short, too pale, whatever), there is really nothing holding you back except yourself.  The rest of the world simply isn't that interested.

There are many of us here who have been through what you're going through now.  And not one of us ever regretted going through with the Big Shave.  Time and time again, new sly guys all ask the same question, "Why didn't I do this sooner?"

You can either be paralyzed with fear over this for the next several weeks, months, years, -- or you can end the misery at any time.  Get it over with.  I promise you'll feel much better.

Offline Itsonlyinmyhead

• When will it happen?
  • Sly
« Reply #49 on: April 24, 2007, 03:17:17 AM »
 :-[

It is true

JohnMont

« Reply #50 on: May 04, 2007, 12:14:35 PM »
hi.  I can't figure out how to send a new post.  want to ask shaving advice and post current pics;  strongly considering going 'sly' but neet a lot of encouragment and some frank evaluations. 
HELP ! !

John

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #51 on: May 04, 2007, 12:16:37 PM »
John, just go to one of the boards - I recommend the Introductions board - and click on "New Topic" at the top.  This will allow you to create a new topic to introduce yourself and ask your questions.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

jusbnme

« Reply #52 on: May 07, 2007, 08:36:31 PM »
>:( Dear Itsonly: Cut the crap! Get out your razor and shave it off. Stop equivocating.  You won't regret that you did. Get off the fence: either go on desperately denying your baldness, or shave off what remains and claim the high ground.  You'll be liberated as soon as you embrace your slick dome. It's you, man, only your backward view is blocking your progress. Professor Melon

AMEN Prof. Melon!!!  Preach on brother.   O0

Offline eclipse41904

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #53 on: May 18, 2007, 09:25:05 AM »
I'm just speaking from my own experience here, but, hopefully it well help some of you other guys who feel insecure. Honestly, now that I shave my head, I seriously love it and I wouldn't let my hair grow out again. I had the typical receding hairline thing, but no hair loss. I got sick of noticing that horrendous hair line, so I talked to my fiancee about how she would feel if I did shave my head. She actually said to me " i actually would like it on you and I think it would look great" (she likes that look I guess) and plus. I always have like gel in my hair I think she got sick of it haha. So I think it was back in January when I first shaved my head. Honestly, I thought I looked way better without hair for some reason. When my fiancee saw it the next day, oh my god, her jaw dropped. She was like " I love it!!!" She said I looked better and you wouldn't believe the comments from my family. My own MOTHER told me I looked better that way! Now that tells you something from the woman who brought you into this world! So, if you are receding or thinning, just shave it. Seriously. Youll love it. I now dont have to buy gel no more thank god, I used alot too. No more shampoo nothing!..No bad hair days or me saying "Babe is my hair all messed up" haha...I love it and you will too. Shine on SLY brothers.

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #54 on: May 18, 2007, 01:41:37 PM »
Eclipse, thanks for posting that bro!  Welcome to Sly Bald Guys!

I'm just speaking from my own experience here, but, hopefully it well help some of you other guys who feel insecure. Honestly, now that I shave my head, I seriously love it and I wouldn't let my hair grow out again. I had the typical receding hairline thing, but no hair loss. I got sick of noticing that horrendous hair line, so I talked to my fiancee about how she would feel if I did shave my head. She actually said to me " i actually would like it on you and I think it would look great" (she likes that look I guess) and plus. I always have like gel in my hair I think she got sick of it haha. So I think it was back in January when I first shaved my head. Honestly, I thought I looked way better without hair for some reason. When my fiancee saw it the next day, oh my god, her jaw dropped. She was like " I love it!!!" She said I looked better and you wouldn't believe the comments from my family. My own MOTHER told me I looked better that way! Now that tells you something from the woman who brought you into this world! So, if you are receding or thinning, just shave it. Seriously. Youll love it. I now dont have to buy gel no more thank god, I used alot too. No more shampoo nothing!..No bad hair days or me saying "Babe is my hair all messed up" haha...I love it and you will too. Shine on SLY brothers.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline wpruitt

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
  • Sly!!
« Reply #55 on: May 18, 2007, 06:54:58 PM »
When my fiancee saw it the next day, oh my god, her jaw dropped. She was like " I love it!!!" She said I looked better and you wouldn't believe the comments from my family. My own MOTHER told me I looked better that way! Now that tells you something from the woman who brought you into this world!

Eclipse - Got some good women in your life!
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline marshd1000

• Sly Bureau
  • Love your bald noggin, wear a hat in the sun!
    • Christian Chromedomes
« Reply #56 on: May 18, 2007, 07:12:07 PM »
These days, men should not fear balding.  But being a people pleaser, I have feared comments from friends and loved ones.  But I would say that if anyone wants to shave their head, it is a good way to learn to be your own person!

By the way, with this post, I am now officially sly!!!!!!!!  woo hoo!!!!!

Offline eclipse41904

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #57 on: May 19, 2007, 09:21:20 AM »
No problem Ty.....and yeah I got some good women in my life! everyone is out to make like having a shaved head is a rebellious look. Its not, its dignified. All my friends love it. Beides that, my best friend Bobby just shaved his head like last week! haha he wanted to see what he would look like...he loves it he said its so much easier than hair..my dad is somewhat bald too i tell him always to just let me shave it and be free...my mom wants him too so he has a nice clean look...I just dont get it sometimes with guys why their so afraid to shave their head if their going bald...im not even going bald really and i love the shaved head look...its completely natural..not trying to sound all rude, so dont take this the wrong way, but I think some guys who are afraid to shave their head are babies..I mean, were all men here, be a man and shave it! Be SLY..haha...Im learning fellows!

Offline Scott

• Sly Bureau
  • Celebrating 5+ Years of SLYNESS!
« Reply #58 on: June 08, 2007, 02:23:53 AM »
>  You'll be liberated as soon as you embrace your slick dome. It's you, man, only your backward view is blocking your progress. Professor Melon

The Professor speaks the truth.  I can remember going through the "fear stage" that you are in right now,  and the relief I felt once I'd actually gone through with the deed.  After that, the toughest part was going to work for the first time without any hair.   I was almost physically ill the closer I got to the office that morning, but the whole thing turned out to be a huge non-event.  Got a few compliments, most people didn't react at all.  I got a bigger reaction when I buzzed down to a #1 for the first time.

The whole thing made me realize, that while we can concoct all sorts of excuses not to go sly (work, you're too fat, too thin, too short, too pale, whatever), there is really nothing holding you back except yourself.  The rest of the world simply isn't that interested.

There are many of us here who have been through what you're going through now.  And not one of us ever regretted going through with the Big Shave.  Time and time again, new sly guys all ask the same question, "Why didn't I do this sooner?"

You can either be paralyzed with fear over this for the next several weeks, months, years, -- or you can end the misery at any time.  Get it over with.  I promise you'll feel much better.

I agree with the Professor and Razor X.  We all have gone through this.  I was in your shoes not 3 wks ago.  Two wks ago I just went for it, and I assure you, I've never felt better about my "hair" since I had a full head in my early teens.  And you, like me, will be asking yourself "why didn't I do this sooner?!!!!"

Offline Razorhead

• Super Sly
  • Shave off that mess!
« Reply #59 on: June 08, 2007, 08:10:42 PM »
I think we build up the anxiety in ourselves about shaving. My advice is to buzz it shorter and shorter to get use to being hairless. And then just take the razor to your head. I bought a headblade and agonized about using for three months. One night, I just popped a beer and decided to get to work on shaving my head. After I shaved I knew right away the look was for me. I had two weeks of relapse in the last year. I grew some hair for the holidays. When I look back at the picks, I realize how bad I looked with my hair. Receding hairline and graying. Ugh.

It's good to be sly.