Author Topic: Perception of hair loss in young guys  (Read 2585 times)

Offline Miller1989

• Sly
Perception of hair loss in young guys
« on: March 06, 2020, 09:22:20 AM »
It used to be that younger guys were devastated when they started to lose their hair. Since a shaved head has become so popular today, do you think that's changed how they perceive baldness? Are they more of less worried about hair loss than they used to be? Just curious what everyone else thinks. And they say 1 in 10 men today shaves his head.

Offline Thathawkguy001

• Sly Jr.
Re: Perception of hair loss in young guys
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2020, 09:27:51 AM »
My buddy is devastated hes losing his and keeps putting off shaving. My other guys who are experiencing mpb just bic theirs and embrace the Sly life. I don't care if mine falls out as long as my beard game is strong  it will make shaving it smooth easier.

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2020, 12:39:21 PM »
We still see a lot of posts from young guys who are upset over hair loss.

Offline slybeard

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2020, 01:14:46 PM »
I would say most young guys are sill devastated when they start noticeably loosing hair.  Probably few actually welcome it.  There are a number of guys who are just indifferent.  I do think once accepted, it is easier now to just shave since it is so common.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2020, 09:56:34 AM by slybeard »
SlyBeard

Offline slybeard

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2020, 07:57:36 AM »
Duplicate
« Last Edit: March 09, 2020, 09:56:59 AM by slybeard »
SlyBeard

Offline bennett11

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2020, 08:44:27 AM »
When i was younger really wanted very short hair and frankly was pleased when some hair loss occurred.  in part desire to be somewhat different.  Started shaving head in late 1970's before being somewhat common.

Offline Laser Man

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2020, 11:15:52 AM »
I think it is still tough for young guys to realize they are going bald despite how common the shaved head has become. It’s a recognition that time is moving on and your body is changing.

Offline Semi-Sly

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2020, 10:47:48 PM »
Yes, I have several young customers who are REALLY struggling with it!  I try to tell them; "Buddy, everything is going to be alright!"  But they just cannot hear it!

You know, somehow, weirdly, it was easier for me when the medication/stress made my hair fall out - - - because I had no choice; it happened rather quickly (months not years); and I couldn't/didn't have the opportunity to dread a slow and steady onslaught!  It just "happened"; it was just one more kick to the groin on a long list of very bad news.

Even now, when after three years, enough of it has come back that I can wear a rather "limp-wristed" version of my formerly glorious flattop now and again; I still know that it can fall out again at any time; but now I know that "everything will be alright".

Indeed, this coming Saturday I will be getting my head shaved as part of a "fund-razor" that some guys are throwing for me and for my service dog!!  And I am not stressing about it all that much and I will keep it sly for the foreseeable future.

Offline Laser Man

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2020, 12:48:43 PM »
I remember how merciless those of us with lots of hair were toward the guys with thinning hair when I was in college. That was in the 70’s when long hair was the style for guys, so anyone with thin hair or a bald spot took a lot of grief. While bald/shaved heads are common now, I can’t believe that guys in their late teens, early 20’s are all that much more mature than back then. That would mean that a young guy with thinning hair is still going to take a lot from his friends.

Offline Miller1989

• Sly
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2020, 08:43:14 PM »
I remember how merciless those of us with lots of hair were toward the guys with thinning hair when I was in college. That was in the 70’s when long hair was the style for guys, so anyone with thin hair or a bald spot took a lot of grief. While bald/shaved heads are common now, I can’t believe that guys in their late teens, early 20’s are all that much more mature than back then. That would mean that a young guy with thinning hair is still going to take a lot from his friends.

I agree with that. My buddies were a little hard on me when I started losing my hair. I heard "You're gonna be BALD!!!" or "You're gonna have to shave your head!!!" or "You're gonna to look like Mr. Clean!!!" And once I shaved it, it was "Your head is blinding me!!!",  "I can see my refection in your head!!!" and "Do you wax it?" But other than that, it was fine. In the long run, young guys today have it easier than previous generations did.

Offline Laser Man

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2020, 07:42:07 AM »
One guy I was friends with started showing a bald spot when we were juniors in high school.  We teased him about it all the way through college as his hair loss continued.  He would simply say that he was saving up for a good toupee.  We lost touch after college, but met up again at a reunion a couple years ago.  He's bald on top, but his hair loss didn't progress much since his early 20's.  Ironically, I'm the bald guy.  While he didn't say anything, I'm sure he got a feeling of satisfaction at how the tables were turned!

Enter your email address: