Author Topic: Facing your younger self  (Read 14689 times)

Offline wonderer

• Super Sly
Re: Facing your younger self
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2012, 11:22:49 PM »
Looking god man you should not worry  O0 !....I just can't face my younger self 'couse then i would have to travel back to 2011 when i was 26 and as you know (and lets face it we all learned something from Marty and Doc Marty's girlfriend (what's her name ?)and doc's dog Einstein )if you go back in past you may start singing 'Johnnie Be Good" (and as we all know that's just lame  :/O even in 1950..even now and forever shall be  ) and if i go further in past i might be in situation where my De Lorean is lame because of the fact that all "The real Cowboys" have a "real"horse and they think that even a sight of my De Lorean is unsightly to look at -so you see traveling in past is Lame and that's why the law of physic don't allow us to get embarrassed(that is one of few cool laws of physic and not stupid one like gravity  :/O )

Offline Beardman

• Sly Bureau
  • Sly and loving it since 2 June 2012
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2012, 12:12:56 AM »
Your broken english makes your jokes all the funnier! But you speak the truth haha

Offline wonderer

• Super Sly
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2012, 12:24:58 AM »
Beardman-I was a sickly child so i missed out from a lot of my English classes so really you can't blame me   :D

Offline Beardman

• Sly Bureau
  • Sly and loving it since 2 June 2012
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2012, 12:30:35 AM »
You still manage to communicate clearer then a lot of people these days who speak english as their primary/only language

Offline wonderer

• Super Sly
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2012, 12:47:05 AM »
Beardman-thank you !Now i must confess  :-[ ,I wasn't "a sickly child " that was a down right lie  :-[ ,back then in my School days i was more with a Lewen (beer) then with my English grammar book ...don't judge me   :-\ (Children -learn on my mistakes/mistake  :*)) I am a liar ,bad one too)  it is a proven fact that lewen is highly addictive (and the color/colour of the can is beautiful  :o , o man I had one in my desk all the time only for a decoration.

Offline balddaniel

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2012, 08:27:14 AM »
Peteman,  I myself am BBC my hair is a little thin in the front, but I would rather shave then let it grow out.  I have nothing to worry about.  You are a very good looking young man and should have problem finding the right person for you.  People who give negative remarks are just down right RUDE!

Offline alaskandave

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2012, 05:26:51 AM »
I recently decided to not wear my hat at work anymore. The whole reason to wear a hat is to not get hair in things, and I don't have hair. I got so many reactions. I have had my head shaved for years but you would have thought I just did it by the reactions I got. It was the topic of conversation in the break for weeks. I would say the reactions were 50 percent positive and 50 percent negative. I'm at a point in my life were the negative doesn't matter. The only thing that matter is what I think, and the people that are close to me think.
AlaskanDave

Offline Frontier Guy

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • SBC: Sly By Choice ... "Since May 18, 2012"
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2012, 05:35:48 AM »
The only thing that matter is what I think, and the people that are close to me think.

Precisely. It's your life to live.
"Sly can adapt to all surroundings!" - Wisdom from KG 8/19/2012

Offline Slyfive

• Human Torpedo!
  • Sly Bureau
  • Better to be bald than balding
    • My Band The DeLoreans
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2012, 10:39:45 PM »
Hi Pete, although I am very happy with who I am now, and the way I look as a bald man, I still find it difficult to reconcile the two images, and have had similar issues with friends, but one thing I have found is that the friends who really care about me, made jokes, then realised it was a good change for me and left it at that. This doesn't mean that I find it easy, or wasn't affected by the jokes, but the people who matter, accept me for who I am. I still get nervous whenever I'm going to see someone who I havent seen since I went sly, not because I need their validation, but because I don't want to have to explain myself, or be compared to my old self by them.

To be frank, I used to be kind of a 'pretty boy' longish hair and no beard, and now I am bald, bearded, and wear glasses 100% of the time. I am actually almost unrecognisable, but the person who matters the most to me, my partner, still loves me and finds me attractive all the same. She didn't fall in love with a bald beardy guy, but she loves it, and this fits really well with FG's comment that it's a "different cover for the same album", what difference does the cover make when its the music that you love

So I guess to summarise, yes I find it difficult sometimes, and the comparisons to my prior self get to me a little, but not because I don't like current me, because I want people to see me not analyse me retrospectively.

I'll post a picture so you can see the extent of the change compared to my avatar.

Offline BBC56

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2012, 04:44:17 AM »
I think that there is another point to be made here.  The reaction to your choice of the sly look is just a symptom.  The young ladies in question were completely insensitive to behave the way they did - they forgot that we are all entitled to our opinions, but we all should be expected to consider others when expressing opinions.  Their feelings about your baldness were more important to them than your own feelings.  It may be how they felt at the time but it is YOUR head and YOUR baldness.  Take ownership of what is yours - be sly if you wish because it is yours. 
And there are lots of women who will care for you despite or because you are sly.  I think too many people are too egocentric these days and have forgotten how to consider others.  Go find a woman who cares about YOU, not your hair.  They are out there!  Make one of them your life partner and someday you will look back at these events as irrelevant.
I cheated in my transition to sly, because I shaved my head for short periods over many years before I made the commitment to be and stay sly.  So, my transition from my "younger self" to my curent self wasn't so abrupt.  All I can tell you is I wish I had committed to the sly look when I was your age.
 I don't have superficial friends - I really care about the friends that I have and they for me.  Only one or two of my close friends were bothered by my shaved head, and they have adapted because they actually care about me, not my hair.  True friends are people who like, trust and respect each other.  They didn't respect you, therefore you shouldn't trust them, and there is no basis for true friendship.  Stick with your true friends!  These ladies just taught you one way to spot who isn't a true friend.  And stick with being sly if you want to, because it is your life, your body and your look.
And the best comeback is to laugh it off - no reason to meet their insensitiity with more insensitivity.  If they really want to be with you they will come back and apologize.  Otherwise you have lost nothing by losing the chance to have a relationship with them.  The loss is theirs.

theman

« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2012, 06:16:09 PM »
I have enjoyed reading this.  It is a older thread, but interesting.  I am going to leave it as this .  We all change as time goes on.  We become older , wiser, and age like fine wine if we take care of ourselves.  We in alot of ways get better with age so enjoy it and the pain in joints that comes with it.   ;D

Offline nola44

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2012, 07:00:06 PM »
I can say that younger ladies, 30 and under, are still immature and can be harsh with their comments and looks. I can remember when I was in my 20's how I would react towards someone who was bald. I was immature back then and didn't know any better. Now, I'm in my 40's and I don't even flench when I see someone who is bald. I guess with age, I became wiser. It still doesn't make it any easier for the younger guys who are sly.
I am definitely not confident with my appearance now (not sly yet) and I know once I do it, I will struggle with the confidence thing for a while. Hopefully it will not drag out and I will accept the look, as well as my friends and family.

My biggest fear are the looks I will get from ladies I do not know. Being married, that should not matter but for some reason it does. I guess my take is your wife should love you and be attracted to you no matter what but getting positive responses from strangers would help in building confidence.

theman

« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2012, 07:36:48 PM »
Not knowing alot about you.  I would guess that you have a slight self confidence problem which I feel that one time or another in our lives we all  have had questions.  But if you want to you can over come this.  The members on this board are very understanding trust me have been through some of there own questions in life.  We are with ya. 

Offline Slyfive

• Human Torpedo!
  • Sly Bureau
  • Better to be bald than balding
    • My Band The DeLoreans
« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2012, 01:42:23 AM »
Theman it's awesome to see you contributing so actively so soon, you are already giving valuable advice and I've really been enjoying your posts, good stuff!

@Nola Theman is right, with a bit of help you have the power to overcome, you seem realistic in that it may not be the easiest thing in the world, but trust me when I say, when you've done it, it will be a non-problem... it will be you, and it will be awesome

theman

« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2012, 11:07:01 AM »
Theman it's awesome to see you contributing so actively so soon, you are already giving valuable advice and I've really been enjoying your posts, good stuff!

@Nola Theman is right, with a bit of help you have the power to overcome, you seem realistic in that it may not be the easiest thing in the world, but trust me when I say, when you've done it, it will be a non-problem... it will be you, and it will be awesome
You are so very kind Slyfive, Thank You.  I have been Sly for several years now, and went through some of the same problem when I first became sly.  And  in some respects I found I was my own worst enemy.  My insecuritys were felt by others, and when I became a I AM COOL person , and walked with confidance and acted with confidance  problems were gone.  I watched Telly S. lol. 

Thanks again.  Have a Great Day.