Author Topic: How Much Hair to Let Grow?  (Read 2555 times)

Offline GoingBald601

• Learning the way of Sly
How Much Hair to Let Grow?
« on: October 24, 2021, 09:56:51 PM »
How many of you don't shave your head every day?  And if you don't, how much stubble thickness is good to leave?  After I shaved mine I let it go to the two day mark and I'm trying to decide how much would look ok.  At this point, actually the hair on my formerly thick areas seems to match the hair length on the balding thin parts so when I run my hand all over my head it actually all feels even.  I can barely see where the top part is thinner.  At first I thought that the stubble is kind of a good look but at what point does it become not good?  Also, how do you keep stubble at the same level?  My clipper is not that great, it only has a #1 guard and then no guard.  But I think not using a guard at all would irritate the skin.  My electric razor is the 3 floating head type and there was zero irritation.

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
Re: How Much Hair to Let Grow?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2021, 05:58:53 AM »
It sounds like you're just in the experimental stage. Everyone develops their own shaving routine, and that's part of the fun of wearing a baldie style.

I'm a daily headshaver, but over the last 8 years, I've tried many different routines. I have grey hair too, and I don't like any visible stubble. It sounds like you're using an electric shaver, so it won't work well after about 2 days growth.

Once you get used to wearing a bald head, I would suggest trying a razor wet shave. There is nothing like the feel of a freshly shaved smooth head. The guys here suggest keeping your head shaved for 30 days to get used to it. Again, welcome to the bald Brotherhood.
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline slybeard

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2021, 07:25:07 AM »
I started as a daily shaver, and did so for about 5 years.  I loved it, and loved the smooth feel of a fresh shave.  Now I have relaxed a bit and typically shave ever other day.  Since the hair I have remaining is mostly white, I have no shadow and the one day stubble does not really show.  So it is only the feel that is difference.  Some guys just buzz weekly and do not mind the stubble growing back a bit.  So it is really what you are comfortable with and how often you want to shave or buzz it.
SlyBeard

Offline MoonageDaydream

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2021, 01:31:59 PM »
I shave my head daily. I have had laser hair removal and I have a couple stubborn spots in the back that are so far refusing to die off. I’m hopeful additional treatments will get them, but since those are the only spots on my head where visible hair grows, I need to keep it shaved daily.

Offline Razorhead

• Super Sly
  • Shave off that mess!
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2021, 06:47:53 PM »
I shave daily. Though I might skip a day mid week because the morning got a little crazy and I was running behind. But I love a smooth dome. I hate the sandpaper feel so my preference is to shave every morning. And my hair is silver and I really don’t like a silvery stubble.

I think shaving everyday is a liitle less work. The razor glides more easily so not as many passes as skipping a few days.

Offline GoingBald601

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2021, 07:04:00 PM »
Well before I got rid of the hair it was starting to go gray especially on the sides but it wasn't completely gray/white all over.  I've found that when stubble grows it still looks dark but at least its not looking gray like before when it would get a little longer.

Here is a comparison:  4 days of growth vs just shaved (electric razor) 

Offline Dragon

• Super Sly
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2021, 01:00:50 AM »
its personal preference but the shaved looks better than the 4 day growth IMOA

Offline clint902

• Super Sly
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2021, 04:58:31 AM »
I agree that the freshly shaven picture is much, much better than the above picture with the stubble.  I personally can't let mine grow for more than three days because I get so much flaking.  I don't seem to have the sebum I had when I was younger so I exfoliate quite often before shaving just to keep the flaking under control.  Also, buffing and moisturizing is mandatory in my case or else everyone that sees me will see a bald head full of flakes.

Offline slybeard

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2021, 07:38:34 AM »
4 days of growth is just too much for me. Daily is best for me, 2 days are OK, it looks shaved, but I can feel that it is not. By the third day, the white sparkles through and it really gets to me, both the feel and the look.
SlyBeard

Offline GoingBald601

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2021, 12:27:38 AM »
 I kind of wanted to see what it would look like.  I had some days off work so I could be incognito.  I don't thoink I'd keep it at 4, I'm thinking 2 looks good. 

Enter your email address: