Author Topic: Whether to go bald by choice again  (Read 4278 times)

Offline slickjack

• Sly Jr.
  • Day 1
Whether to go bald by choice again
« on: February 08, 2020, 10:16:08 AM »
It’s now over a year since I last shaved my head. When I did, many guys on here gave really helpful support as I gained confidence with the look. But I let me hair grow to a very short buzz after a few weeks and then eventually longer still. I guess I wobbled in the end. I received a few negative comments from friends and family which didn't help.

I’m now thinking of shaving again with the aim of then staying bald at least for a few months so I can really get used to it. I'm quite quite a bit more grey. So shaving might make me look younger (although my beard is greying too!). I’m between jobs so it might be a good time to redefine how I look. But I don’t want to frighten off potential new employers either...! So what do you guys think? Should I shave again. Do I genuinely look OK with a bald head, or should I stick with hair given I have the choice? Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
Re: Whether to go bald by choice again
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2020, 11:46:20 AM »
Ok, here's my honest opinion. You look great with your head shaved! Yes, younger and stylish. You have a perfect head shape for a baldie haircut. I think you should shave again, and keep it for a couple months. The negative comments will stop, and you can enjoy returning to the bald brotherhood!
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline Magoo

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2020, 08:23:37 PM »
You definitely can go with the shaved look. Shave it again and give it more time , for you and others to adjust too . You must have liked it or you would not be thinking of trying it again.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2020, 08:26:30 PM by Magoo »
If only all men lived by the "Golden Rule ."

Offline Dragon

• Super Sly
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2020, 12:29:42 AM »
You have choices.YOu look great with hair and shaved.  Shaving is a haircut for you and any chnage takes time to adjust to.  do what makes you happy and then give everyone some time for THEM to catch up withn you.

Offline mane2dome

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2020, 12:16:23 AM »
Dude,

Shave your head. Own it. Be un-apologetic for having a sexy dome. Take control. A very short buzz works well on you, too. Ditch the grey locks & live free!

Offline slybeard

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2020, 11:43:40 AM »
Just do what you want with it.  You have nice looking hair, and you look great shaved.  I do not think it will have any affect on landing a job, with or without hair.  Many guys do come across more confident when they shave their heads, so maybe being shave will give you a slight edge.  Either way, I suggest a little more length on your beard.
SlyBeard

Offline Semi-Sly

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2020, 10:26:04 PM »
My two cent’s worth:

1.  You look really good both ways, but you owe it to yourself to shave it and keep it shaved long enough to get comfortable with the look in all the luck as the others said the negative comments. And you really can’t make a decision unless you’ve given the 30 day rule good try
2. I am like you I still have a fairly full hairline but my hair is turned the  color of a dead mouse. you definitely look younger without the gray hair so your choices are to either start coloring it darker or bleach it out platinum all over. there are some good coloring options out there now such as control GX shampoo.

why don’t you do what I do - go half of the year with hair and half of it with a beautiful gleaming dome?

Offline chgobuzzbald

• Super Sly
  • No more HT scars
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2020, 12:25:53 AM »
Shaved is a masculine confident look on you. A great time to do it as the new employer will know you only as a bald guy.

I went on a job interview today with a freshly shaved head. There were 3 guys interviewing me and one of them had a shaved head, two others didnt. The other bald guy and I really bonded without ever mentioning being bald. The guys with hair never even looked at my shaved head or thought it unusual. So yes stay shaved and enjoy the look and feel, I know I do. Shaved my head again tonight I love the smoothness so much. Dont let  friends and family control your haircut, ever. 

Offline Laser Man

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2020, 02:39:45 PM »
Depending on where you live, a shaved head shouldn't scare off potential employers.  In most metropolitan areas, shaved heads are pretty common these days. 

Offline slickjack

• Sly Jr.
  • Day 1
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2020, 04:57:25 PM »
Thanks guys for all the encouragement. With the virus lockdown and barbershops closed here I no longer have any excuses not to shave my head. So I’ll be shaving again on Saturday.

I’ve decided to do it to raise money for a couple of charities working to support people affected by the coronavirus in the UK and around the world. I’ve got a fair amount of hair to lose as it’s been a while since I last shaved.

You can see my fundraising pages for the charities here.

UK NATIONAL EMERGENCY TRUST

http://tiny.cc/w5j1mz

CONCERN WORLDWIDE

http://tiny.cc/60j1mz

Here’s a picture of me now too - with a much longer beard than I’ve had before. I hope it’s going to go well with my newly shaved head.

Looking forward to rejoining Slybaldguys

Offline Semi-Sly

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2020, 11:08:00 PM »
brilliant! that’s a home run!  you’re shaving your head, you’re doing something to make you feel better in a tough time, and you are raising money for the crisis all at the same time - just brilliant! can’t wait to see the photos or better yet take a video so that we can see it happen. we will watch the butterfly emerge from the chrysalis!

Offline slybeard

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2020, 09:31:39 AM »
Keep the beard for sure.  A beard looks really good with a shaved head.
SlyBeard

Offline slickjack

• Sly Jr.
  • Day 1
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2020, 10:45:55 AM »
I've not been compared to a butterfly before.  But I love the image it paints!