Author Topic: just got sly  (Read 6224 times)

Offline slymaz

• Learning the way of Sly
just got sly
« on: January 30, 2009, 02:51:32 AM »
hey just saying whats up i just shaved my head still getting used to it just wanted to know yalls experiences with peoples reactions mine have been mixed just wanted some advice on getting through the first week or so

Offline Paul

• Bald Rider
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: just got sly
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2009, 04:21:07 AM »
Welcome slymaz.   You will find that like most of us the reactions from others was either generally positive or was pretty much a non-event.  It certainly was for me.  Hang in there, follow our 30 day rule (keep it shaved for 30 days) and check in here for support.  You might also want to check out the Reactions to Being Bald section.  Again, welcome.
"...and I--I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference."  Robert Frost

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2009, 04:27:38 AM »
Welcome to the Forum Maz!

You'll get the whole range of emotionss from people. It will take folks a little time to get used to your new look...... and it will probably take you a little time too.

Ride it out for 30 days and see what happens....... I'm betting you'll keep it.
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline joergHH

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2009, 04:45:19 AM »
hey just saying whats up i just shaved my head still getting used to it just wanted to know yalls experiences with peoples reactions mine have been mixed just wanted some advice on getting through the first week or so

Welcome here!

My experience: Just positive reactions. Keep it shaved for 30 days and you will find it's quite normal for you to shave your head.

Best wishes!  O0

J

baldy46

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2009, 06:42:42 AM »
The 30 day advice is dead on.  I forced myself to shave for 30 days after first going back and forth for a while.  It was the best thing I ever did.  30 days turned into 60.  60 turned into 90 and now it's been almost a year for me.  I never get negative comments anymore.  The negative comments came when I was going back and forth between slick bald and #1 growth.  Sly is the way for me.  I look forward to shaving every morning. 

Offline Papa Don

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2009, 07:51:45 AM »
Welome Maz!  30 days is the rule!!
I am no better that anyone else, but by God, no one is better than I am

Offline Rob

• Sly Bureau
  • British baldy since 2006
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2009, 07:53:22 AM »
The 30 day advice is dead on.  I forced myself to shave for 30 days after first going back and forth for a while.  It was the best thing I ever did.  30 days turned into 60.  60 turned into 90 and now it's been almost a year for me.  I never get negative comments anymore.  The negative comments came when I was going back and forth between slick bald and #1 growth.  Sly is the way for me.  I look forward to shaving every morning. 

That's really true: as soon as you keep it Sly people stop making negative comments, because they come to realise that it is 'you' and not just a fad, but how you want to be and how you are happiest. 8)

Welcome, and keep it Sly O0

Offline DCdome

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2009, 08:11:08 AM »
Welcome Maz.

I didn't get any negative comments that I can remember.  I felt self-conscious at first and kept thinking someone might make an insulting remark, but it didn't happen.

Just focus on enjoying the look and the feel and in no time you'll feel at home with the dome and others will accept you as you are.  Many women really like it (wait til a babe gives your noggin a good  rubbin) and lots of guys are jealous because they can't work up the confidence to go sly.

Bean

Offline time2shine

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2009, 09:20:40 AM »
welcome maz, and congrats on the deed!  navigate through this forum, you'll find some good stuff.

Offline MLNHD

• Super Sly
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2009, 10:49:28 AM »
Advice:  stick with it and don't be dissuaded by others' opinions.  Thirty days is the key. 

My experience was non-eventful...but I went from close buzz (for years) to Sly.  The first week or two noone commented.  Then a few would say something like, "I see you took it all off," or "why'd you do that?"  After a 1.5 years of Sly, the only comment I get any more is "How do you get it so shiny?"  I usually tell them, "Turtlewax" and leave it at that.   

Oh yeah, there was an 8 yr.old boy who grinned as called me "lightbulb head." 
Sly addict since July 22, 2007.

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2009, 11:03:50 AM »
hey maz:  welcome 2 the sly fraternity.  glad that ya joined us & "did the deed".  as the brothers have stated...the 30 day rule is an "unwritten" rule in the SBG forum.  so... it's very important 2 keep it smoooooth for 30 days.  after the 30 days... the new head shaver (you) will B able 2 determine 2 keep it or grow it out.  my prediction is that U will keep it.  O0

WARHAWK O0
Tough times don't last but tough people do!!!

Offline blackbaldman19

• Sly
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2011, 09:37:21 AM »
put it to you like this.

I'M THE ONLY BALD GUY AT MY SCHOOL!!!!!
you'll definitely stand out with the bald head appearance.
i truely mean it when i say. "i don't care what anybody thinks about me."
i say that not everybody can pull off being bald, but it all comes down to a personal choice.
it took me 10 days to get used to it. not saying i got an ego. everybody are their own person.

Offline Timmer

• Super Sly
  • And it harm none, do what you will.
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2011, 12:25:04 PM »
There are a lot of "balding" men where I work.  Everything from the toilet bowl of hair to the cotton poof on the crown going down into the toilet bowl of hair.  One guy, younger than me, was asking me right after I shaved it all off why I did it with a disgusted look and I told him flat out while pointing at his combover, "Because I NEVER want to look like that."  The break room cracked up.  He buzzed it the next weekend, but I'm still the only sly guy.
One definition of "surrender" is, "To join the winning side."

Offline Arnie

• 2011 Sly Bald Guys Fantasy Football Champion
  • Sly Bureau
  • Surrender to your cause, never your circumstances.
    • http://www.frankboucherchevrolet.com
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2011, 02:23:16 PM »
Welcome to SBGs!!! 8)

Offline theebaldguy

• Sly Penguin
  • Super Sly
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2011, 06:28:47 PM »
This thread is over two years old...  ;)
Just say no to rugs!

Enter your email address: