Author Topic: The Pandemic  (Read 18113 times)

Offline Laser Man

• Sly Bureau
The Pandemic
« on: March 18, 2020, 12:56:21 PM »
Life where I live is far from normal these days. Schools, libraries and stores are closed. Restaurants are take out only if they are open.

When taking the dog for a walk, it’s odd to see cars in all the driveways because everyone is working from home.

What’s it like where you are?  Please, no political commentary. Let’s just keep it to what life is like in this situation

Offline Razorhead

• Super Sly
  • Shave off that mess!
Re: The Pandemic
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2020, 02:27:26 PM »
It’s pretty much the same where I live. I’ve worked full time at home. So going out to a store in the middle of the day was a nice break — i got to see people! But right now there is a health risk associated with doing something as simple as that.  Groceries like dairy, pasta, cleaning products are hard to come by. You are lucky to get the last item on the shelf. A couple of weeks ago, I went out a concert thinking that this could be the last large scale event that I could go to for a while to come. I didn’t think we would be restricted so fast. But i guess that is good to push the curve down. Every spring i do a series of runs for charity. All those events are postponed (and will probably be eventually cancelled). They were a highlight of the spring for me for the last 5 yrs.

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2020, 02:40:40 PM »
Same in Minnesota. Small percentage of people in a panic. Because I'm 66, and retired, I've been staying home for about 10 days now. Been doing some painting in the house, taking the yard, and walks in the park.

So lately I've been thinking about shaving my beard. It's been over 30 years since I was clean shaven, and wondering how I would look without the grey beard. So today I finally decided to try it, and I don't like it at all! Yes, I look younger without hair on my head and face, but I've already started growing the beard back.
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline Razorhead

• Super Sly
  • Shave off that mess!
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2020, 02:58:05 PM »
Hey Reddog!

It’s funny how being cooped up all day makes you tempted on haircut and facial hair choices. Being cooped up and working at home full time, I did the same thing. One morning, I got the idea in my head about shaving off the beard and then mid-day I just did. If i were in an office each day, i probably would have mulled over that decision for weeks!

I actually like being clean shaven. Mostly because it’s just different for me. I’ve had facial hair for almost 20 yrs. So i have a bald noggin and a bald face. I think i watch that show “Live PD” even more now to validate my decision Lots of cops with shaved heads and clean shaven.

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2020, 04:25:25 PM »
Exactly, too much time to think of stupid things! Oh well, I got it out of my system, and I think I will stop shaving everything for awhile. So in 2 weeks I'll have a buzzcut and full short beard. Once my beard comes back, I'll go back to a smooth shaved head!

Offline Semi-Sly

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2020, 09:45:04 PM »
hey red dog, two thoughts for you?

1.  why don’t you share some pics with us of you clean-shaven so that we could all comment on it?

2.  you know how important the 30 day rule is when you make a drastic style change why not try employing the 30 day rule of this relation as well so that instead of making a reactive decision you could make a responsive decision?

Offline Barbero Pelón

• Super Sly
  • If doesn't shine,you're not really BALD.
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2020, 10:02:28 PM »
Hey Reddog!

It’s funny how being cooped up all day makes you tempted on haircut and facial hair choices. Being cooped up and working at home full time, I did the same thing. One morning, I got the idea in my head about shaving off the beard and then mid-day I just did. If i were in an office each day, i probably would have mulled over that decision for weeks!

I actually like being clean shaven. Mostly because it’s just different for me. I’ve had facial hair for almost 20 yrs. So i have a bald noggin and a bald face. I think i watch that show “Live PD” even more now to validate my decision Lots of cops with shaved heads and clean shaven.

Hahaha,so true

First time that a razor touch my face in 7 years

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2020, 07:19:32 AM »
Ok, here's a not so good photo, which answers #2, don't need 30 days to know I want my beard back!

Offline slybeard

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2020, 08:30:19 AM »
Everything is closed here, and everyone that can work from home is working from home. Sadly, many are just out of work with no income.

Looks like we are all changing.  I am home, so I haven't shaved my head in since Saturday, 3/14.  @reddog shaved his beard off, and @Tony Dadá carved out a circle beard from his full beard.

Reddog, your face needs a beard, but I suggest you give the full beard a try and see how you like that.  Tony, I am not sure about the circle beard on you, my first impression is that I like the full beard better on you.  At least let your mustache get a little larger to go with your loner goatee.

Growing my fringe back is a combination of just being lazy, and some curiosity as to how much hair I have remaining.  The last time I tried it for a couple of weeks I had little hair left on top.  Since I started head shaving with  full head of hair, I would like to see what I look like with the fringe fully grown.  I am not sure I want to see it enough to go out with it though.  So I will likely shave when I go back to the office.
SlyBeard

Offline Barbero Pelón

• Super Sly
  • If doesn't shine,you're not really BALD.
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2020, 04:50:25 PM »
Everything is closed here, and everyone that can work from home is working from home. Sadly, many are just out of work with no income.

Looks like we are all changing.  I am home, so I haven't shaved my head in since Saturday, 3/14.  @reddog shaved his beard off, and @Tony Dadá carved out a circle beard from his full beard.

Reddog, your face needs a beard, but I suggest you give the full beard a try and see how you like that.  Tony, I am not sure about the circle beard on you, my first impression is that I like the full beard better on you.  At least let your mustache get a little larger to go with your loner goatee.

Growing my fringe back is a combination of just being lazy, and some curiosity as to how much hair I have remaining.  The last time I tried it for a couple of weeks I had little hair left on top.  Since I started head shaving with  full head of hair, I would like to see what I look like with the fringe fully grown.  I am not sure I want to see it enough to go out with it though.  So I will likely shave when I go back to the office.

I'm thinking on go Mr.Clean

Good luck with the hair experiment

Offline slybeard

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2020, 07:09:09 PM »
If you want to try it out, now is the time.  Keep us posted.
SlyBeard

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2020, 06:56:36 AM »
If you want to try it out, now is the time.  Keep us posted.

Alternatively, now could be a good time to experiment with a longer beard, although I hope this situation doesn’t go on long enough to really be able to do that.

Offline Laser Man

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2020, 08:07:56 AM »
The governor announced yesterday that all beauty salon, barbershops and nail salons are to be closed, so I think a lot of people will be experimenting with hairstyles!

In my own personal circumstance, I got a call late Wednesday afternoon and was told I had been exposed to a person who tested positive for COVID-19.  Here's the irony: the exposure was in a training course where we were going over the software to use for meetings while we are working from home!  I was exposed on March 10th, so my wife and I have to self-quarantine until March 25th and I have to take my temperature twice a day.  Given that it's been a week and I have no symptoms, I'm considered low risk.  The quarantine is to prevent me from spreading it to others. 

We notified our neighbors and they have been terrific, offering to go to the store (including the liquor store!), take the dog for a walk, move the trash cans to the street for pick-up, etc. 

One indication of how seriously this is being taken: I dropped my car off Tuesday morning for service and picked up a loaner car.  The garage had to order a part (my car is a stickshift), so they kept the car until yesterday.  When they called to say it was ready, I told them about my wife and I being quarantined.  They said they would deliver my car and send a flatbed to retrieve the loaner so it could be sanitized.  Sure enough, within an hour a flatbed arrived and took the loaner out of my driveway.  They returned my car and left the keys in the mailbox!

Offline artudo123

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2020, 07:25:31 PM »
I live just outside of Toronto and not everybody is listening to our government about social-distancing. However, the streets are dead. People are hoarding groceries, every store has been sold out of toilet paper everyday. I was at 1 major grocery store and they said people are lining up outside for toilet paper every morning like it's Black Friday.

I went out earlier this week and got 1 month worth of groceries and supplies. I had to go to 3 different grocery stores to get what was on my list. I had to go to the bank while I was out and in the same plaza there was a line snaking around outside the building where the cannabis store is (cannabis is legal in Canada). More and more things are gradually shutting down such as clothing stores. I imagine malls will soon close down too.

I could go on and on. Suffice to say, it's not business as usual and the measures being taken to limit the spread of the pandemic are unlike anything I've ever experienced.

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2020, 05:23:21 AM »
Currently, (I don't live too far from Slybeard) places are open but with limited hours...Surprisingly, for splits and giggles I did find one barbershop open yesterday, but the barbers were wearing masks and gloves. I have not seen my relatives since Friday the 13th, but my aunts and uncles (and mother, but she lives away) are all north of 60 years old. I saw two women get into an argument at WalMart because one had grabbed the last four cans of Lysol (4 was the max, now they're cutting it down to two). FWIW, the guy gave me a good shave and I tipped him nicely (I trimmed the beard about 1/2 inch down). My place of employment it still open, but now the non-shift workers now have to join us "on shift" instead of the customary 8-4 or 9-5 Monday through Friday. Group safety meetings are canceled until further notice, and it's possible that my bowling league(s) may end up truncating the season (if we even get back together in the foreseeable future). I did by six packs of safety razors and another safety razor handle, I have a feeling I'm going to be my own barber for a little while at least.

@reddog ...Hey, you tried it and it didn't work out....Here's one of me clean shaven circa 2014

Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.