Author Topic: Have you noticed people being wary / cautious of you as a sly guy?  (Read 49101 times)

Offline MR.Bane

• Learning the way of Sly
Re: Have you noticed people being wary / cautious of you as a sly guy?
« Reply #60 on: February 28, 2013, 02:11:52 PM »
Since i shaved my head i have gotten a few comments about looking scary. I'm a pretty big guy (193 cm and 102 kg) and i started using contacts instead of glasses about the same time that i went bald. The hair and glasses made me look kinda dorky, and when i changed my style i started looking like more of a stereotypical tough guy i guess.

Offline Frontier Guy

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • SBC: Sly By Choice ... "Since May 18, 2012"
« Reply #61 on: February 28, 2013, 02:59:30 PM »
Size (mass) can be intimidating all on its own. You can soften that perception with your smile, gestures and general behavior. Sometimes it does take a little effort to break through the preconceived barriers people put up.
"Sly can adapt to all surroundings!" - Wisdom from KG 8/19/2012

Offline NoPony

• Sly
    • James Barley Woodturner
« Reply #62 on: March 03, 2013, 05:49:49 PM »
The other day there were these two young fellas, I'd guess in their early twenties who pulled up behind me and the wife at a stop sign.
I had wanted to speak to them about some tree pruning's that the electric utility company had left on the curb in front of their house, (I burn wood for heat), and this was an opportunity to ask them about it.
Well I got out of my truck and started walking back towards them indicating with my hand for the driver to roll down the window, and much to my surprise they started to back up.
Long story-short, we did reach an agreement, and they were glad to get rid of the wood.
But it took the wife who told me it was my new look that had them thinking "what did we do to piss this guy off".  :x!

Offline Slyfive

• Human Torpedo!
  • Sly Bureau
  • Better to be bald than balding
    • My Band The DeLoreans
« Reply #63 on: March 04, 2013, 12:20:52 AM »
I wish we lived in a world where this kind of fear had not been needlessly perpetuated by a select few bad people

Offline Hingatao

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #64 on: March 04, 2013, 10:35:35 AM »
I've been noticing recently that some of the new people on my ship act like. Oddly enough, it's always the guys who look intimidated and they're (mostly) younger than me. The ladies, though, always seem like they don't give a rat's ass!
Hair is over rated.

Offline Todo Duro

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #65 on: March 04, 2013, 02:15:44 PM »
I've been noticing recently that some of the new people on my ship act like. Oddly enough, it's always the guys who look intimidated and they're (mostly) younger than me. The ladies, though, always seem like they don't give a rat's ass!

I've noticed that too! Probably says something about the way women and men perceive things differently (eg body language)?
.: you must laugh and sing if you want to conquer the world :.

Offline Hingatao

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #66 on: March 04, 2013, 03:07:43 PM »

I've noticed that too! Probably says something about the way women and men perceive things differently (eg body language)?

Good point.
Hair is over rated.

Offline Adamski1972

• Super Sly
  • Bald and bold!
« Reply #67 on: March 25, 2013, 04:22:54 PM »
I've noticed that as well. Woman dont seem to find bald heads intimidating at all, if anything they like them. All the women I work with love it but I noticed one of my male colleagues seamed to think I was trying to be a hardman! Have educated him in his error in judgement and had him laughing by the end of the shift

Offline smoothsailing

• Sly
  • hairfree = carefree
« Reply #68 on: April 12, 2013, 06:08:22 PM »
The other day there were these two young fellas, I'd guess in their early twenties who pulled up behind me and the wife at a stop sign.
I had wanted to speak to them about some tree pruning's that the electric utility company had left on the curb in front of their house, (I burn wood for heat), and this was an opportunity to ask them about it.
Well I got out of my truck and started walking back towards them indicating with my hand for the driver to roll down the window, and much to my surprise they started to back up.
Long story-short, we did reach an agreement, and they were glad to get rid of the wood.
But it took the wife who told me it was my new look that had them thinking "what did we do to piss this guy off".  :x!

hahahaha that's funny

Offline Shane.G

• Mr Graves
  • Sly Jr.
« Reply #69 on: February 04, 2014, 09:34:25 PM »
I am 6'1 220lb and work as a nightclub doorman being the only bald one there I always get mistaken for the one in charge or the one who 'takes care of business' they don't realise I'm 19 and one of the youngest doormen in my city!

Offline DOC_OSMC

• Bald and Bearded
  • Super Sly
  • Pleasure's a sin, and sometimes sin's a pleasure.
« Reply #70 on: February 05, 2014, 12:58:58 PM »
I haven't noticed anything too different, although when I am in my biker gear and club colors, I do see more cautious respect from people when they approach me.  However, I don't think that's from the bald head, but rather from the colors that I wear.  To most people in general, a biker is a biker and when you wear colors, we're all outlaws!

I did have one girl who I met at a club tell me I have a mean look, but that didn't stop her from approaching me.
My granddaddy once told me, "If you can't hack it, gecho' jacket!"

Offline djones

• Guero Pelon
  • Sly Jr.
« Reply #71 on: February 05, 2014, 09:00:09 PM »
 Being 5'6 and 150 lbs I don't have the size thing going on  but I am heavily tattooed so if I'm some place that calls for being shirtless (water park, beach etc.) I notice some moms hide their kids and clinch their purse but usually ladies are more relaxed than guys which seem to kind of avoid me...I did have a white lady that exclusively dates men of color ask if I was a skinhead...I laughed and pointed out my hispanic wife and kid .I worked in a prison 3 years and have met real aryan skinheads ...and  was cited for excessive use of force after one called my partner  a certain word that starts with n and ends with his face busted...that's the only thing that has bothered me is being confused /grouped in with skins
Semper Paratus!

Offline yohnazo

• Game Designer
  • Sly Guy in Training
  • A happy young guy who decided to try being bald
« Reply #72 on: February 26, 2014, 04:01:32 PM »
I was wondering if a similar thing would happen before I shaved my head. for me nothing really has yet, people look at me strangely as I walk past like usual, but my default face (or any face I can make) is not really scary at all.

I work with kids in a youth group and they don't seem bothered by it, just asked me if I was thinking of growing a beard like an emperor.

On first sight people may be a little intimidated, but as soon as I start talking they seem fine.
I'm just a university student who one day decided to shave his head, and decided to keep on doing it because he liked it.

Offline dwingrider

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #73 on: May 07, 2014, 10:11:27 AM »
I have noticed a few people are a bit cautious around me, and some even treat me as an authority figure. I have noticed that whenever I am around with a group of friends and someone new approaches (a waiter, a shopkeeper) his attention is mostly towards me, if someone is shaking hands -I am the first one to be approached.

Its still true (atleast where I live) - nobody forgets the "bald guy" at the party.  :P

Offline AgentBald

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #74 on: May 07, 2014, 11:35:59 AM »
I haven't experienced anyone being any more cautious around me than before I went sly. 
"What we do in life, echoes in eternity"