Author Topic: Still on the fence?  (Read 131209 times)

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
Re: Still on the fence?
« Reply #45 on: May 06, 2010, 07:05:51 AM »
Well...I'm almost there....I'm going to post a pic if I can figure out how to do it!

Almost, come on--do the deed, take the "cigar"[figuratively speaking, only].  Close doesn't get it.  And, close enough, if after 30 days you're not on board, you can easily revert--come on scratch that itch. O:O

Offline Papa Don

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #46 on: May 06, 2010, 09:36:49 AM »
What an excellent post by RazorX.  Many  (if not all) of the statements are true.  In my case, MPB was not the issue.  I had a full head of hair that was horrible.  Course, curly and unmanageable.  I spent hours in front of the mirror each and every morning just trying to get two hairs to lay down beside one another.  I was always (!) self-conscience about how bad it looked. You talk of negative comments about being bald?  Try "explosion in a brillow pad": "Kind hair--the kind you find on a  monkey's arse" etc..  Really hurtful.  Thanks to my good sly neighbor, I lost a bet and had to shave the noggin.  I can't tell you how liberating it has been for the last two years.  If only I had known.  I have embraced slyness to the point of laser treatments.  I have now had three.  The results have been great.  So thanks to the neighbor and the good men of this site, I am free and my self-confidence has risen to an all time high.  So, thank all of you for your suport.
I am no better that anyone else, but by God, no one is better than I am

Offline dave523

• Still not really used to being a bald dude and nose looks huge since baldness :-(
  • Sly Jr.
  • Result 26 march 2009
« Reply #47 on: May 07, 2010, 06:40:12 PM »
i have been here before, trying to find a solution. Still not giving in.

Now my hair situation has developed into recess of my hairline as to where an island of hair might form in the middle of my (fornt) head. Also the crown is thinning fast since a couple of months. Question: what treatment can i still try (tried finasteride, and every hair growth shampoo out there). If i don't get something quick, the front and crown might meet. Normally i have very thick and full hair (used to).

Need something or am i destined to becoming a genuinely bald guy. Really still not for me imho!

Truly sorry that you have used drugs & hope that nothing adverse to your general health develops in the near or distant future.  Also, regret that you've been unable to accept the fact of mpb--but guys who can't fund a multi-billion dollar market for drugs, rugs and surgeries.  I hope that as you mature you'll realize your only choices are to accept the appearance of a balding man, horseshoe & all or can accept the fact, move beyond it and get control of your life.  You're wasting time, money and no small amount of your engery worrying about something that cannot change, that isn't a defect or disease.  But it can be tough, I think most of the guys here have been in front of that mirror where you are now, felt the pang of a change that was not in many cases welcome.  I also think that at some point you will embrace the life you have been provided, realize it's only hair, and that the hair time of your journey of life is over.  Good luck, God bless.

Wow powerfull post. Especially the second to last sentence came on strong! No one ever told me the hair time of my journey was over. You're a pretty harsh dude. Next month i am going to NYC, looking to find a career there. On the one hand it would be great to start over again there, on the other hand it would feel awkward to start over there as a baldy.

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #48 on: May 07, 2010, 07:33:34 PM »

Wow powerfull post. Especially the second to last sentence came on strong! No one ever told me the hair time of my journey was over. You're a pretty harsh dude.

There was nothing harsh whatsoever about saintc's remarks; he simply told you what you don't want to hear.  This discussion with you has been going on, intermittenly for what, two years now?  There's never going to be a "solution" to your "dilemma" until you're prepared to stop wallowing in self-pity and deal with reality.    How's that for harsh? 

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #49 on: May 10, 2010, 03:47:04 PM »

You're a pretty harsh dude. Next month i am going to NYC, looking to find a career there. On the one hand it would be great to start over again there, on the other hand it would feel awkward to start over there as a baldy.

You think I'm harsh, and you're coming to NYC to look for a job ;D ;D ;D  That's good, try stand up comedy--then put on your real battle gear for the job hunt!  You are totally out of touch as you will soon find out, and BTW--loads of Slys in the Big Apple, and all NY State for that matter, as well as every other major US City.
But, enjoy yourself.  It's one hell of a town.  Hope you can make it there, bc--[finish w/ phrase from popular song!]

Offline chaucer

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #50 on: May 11, 2010, 03:30:14 AM »
I've tried to post a pic but it says the jpg file is too large and I do not know how to make it smaller....

Offline Nonick

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #51 on: May 11, 2010, 06:00:09 AM »
If you go to the section "Various Non-Bald Discussions" and then click on "General Discussions" there is a topic called "How do I insert a picture in a post"

or try the link below (if it works it will take you there)

http://www.slybaldguys.com/smf/index.php?topic=901.0

;)

Offline xnewyawka

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #52 on: May 11, 2010, 11:25:45 AM »

You're a pretty harsh dude. Next month i am going to NYC, looking to find a career there. On the one hand it would be great to start over again there, on the other hand it would feel awkward to start over there as a baldy.

You think I'm harsh, and you're coming to NYC to look for a job ;D ;D ;D  That's good, try stand up comedy--then put on your real battle gear for the job hunt!  You are totally out of touch as you will soon find out.

With that attitude, you're in for a real eye-opener when you get to NY. Like saint said, shave the dome and grow some thicker skin.
By the way, I just realized you're the the guy who's been waffling for about two years now. Get over it, be a man and shave your head already. Quit the wallowing in self-pity.

Offline Morthen

• Super Sly
« Reply #53 on: July 03, 2010, 07:52:29 PM »
it took me a while to pull the trigger on going sly, but i'm glad I did. I hope that dave guy can as well so he can enjoy his life and stop letting his hair control him.
Bryce
Sly since May 16th, 2010

http://l33t.razerzone.com/index.php?user_dtl=a93edc2f9430bed4c6b2382425c327c0

Offline kenny57028

• Super Sly
« Reply #54 on: July 05, 2010, 02:05:50 PM »

I used to feel self-conscious about being the only bald guy in a group; now I feel like I'm privileged.   That feeling didn't happen overnight; it takes a lot of positive thinking and knowing that you've done everything you can to improve the aspects of your appearance that are within your control.  Once you've done all of that, hair doesn't seem that important anymore.

I still struggle with this sometimes but everyday it gets better. Sometimes I feel like people think I'm wierd or unatractive with a shaved head, but than other times theres girls that love it. I feel its still a lil rollercoaster that I've been on since my balding first started, but I finally feel like the finish line is in site.
The reason people find it so hard to be happy is that they always see the Past better than it was,
the Present worse than it is & the future less resolved than it will be.

Offline Nonick

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #55 on: July 05, 2010, 09:33:28 PM »
It may be a psychological roller coaster, but in the end, it all comes down to attitude.  The facts aren't going to change, so all that can change is between the ears.
So throw your your hands in the air, scream your bloody head off, and enjoy the ride!   8)

Timbo1941

« Reply #56 on: July 27, 2010, 11:02:46 PM »

Wow - this really made me think. I see plenty of guys are asking the same questions. I am changing jobs and the idea of shaving my head seems like a symbol of freedom and individuality and a new start. I do have plenty of hair and I'm going into middle age, but I probably won't as I get older and this could be beginning instead of waiting until I start going bald naturally. Most of the guys in my family had lost most of their hair in their early to mid 50s.

I admit I am concerned about how people will react. It will be a big change going from a full head of hair to a bald head in one day, but i am already looking at a major job change. And it looks like most of you guys have no regrets.

Great thread.

Offline wetherb67

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #57 on: July 30, 2010, 05:22:04 PM »
Today is day one for me.  I was on the fence....and now I know I shouldn't have stayed there.

Do it. 
Qualify to try new brands for free....
http://h5.sml360.com/-/2o9xe

Timbo1941

« Reply #58 on: July 30, 2010, 05:28:01 PM »
Today is day one for me.  I was on the fence....and now I know I shouldn't have stayed there.

Do it. 

Day One? That's great.

I made the decision. I will be bald a week from today. All of the hair is coming off.

Offline Nate

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #59 on: August 06, 2010, 06:01:55 PM »
i have been here before, trying to find a solution. Still not giving in.

Now my hair situation has developed into recess of my hairline as to where an island of hair might form in the middle of my (fornt) head. Also the crown is thinning fast since a couple of months. Question: what treatment can i still try (tried finasteride, and every hair growth shampoo out there). If i don't get something quick, the front and crown might meet. Normally i have very thick and full hair (used to).

Need something or am i destined to becoming a genuinely bald guy. Really still not for me imho!

We offered you advice the last time and that advice has not changed.  You need to accept the reality of your situation and do what needs to be done.

I share your pain dude. You have two routes. One go take the medications and join the hair restoration forums and do the surgery (its the only way to get hair on your head and results go from good to really really bad and you are out of pocket alot of money).

The other is shave it down and acceptance of the fact (something I still am coming to grips with). Its scarey as he11 based on the fact everything you saw yourself as seemingly will change and thats scarey. Buzz it down in stages to transition yourself (thats my plan starting from my holiday in a few months).

Whatever you decide and I know the guys on here wont agree with me on this point. If you get on the meds for example and then go sly you potentially can see how you feel about the whole look. Worse case you regrow what hair you have and go surgical and with the meds save whatever you can in the process (you are in no worse off position had you not shaved)

Currently with the state of technology there is no cure for mpb its genetics. You dont have to embrace baldness and go around beating your chest all this is is acceptance mixed in with a bit of confidence so you can get on with your life as its short

I currently am thinning and have enough hair on top that its not super shocking but I know I dont want to be one of those guys with a huge spot on their crown and thin in the front and on top with side hair and back. I say try shave or buzz your head first because I am now in the position of have a HT and regret it with the scar and there are another few guys on here. Buzz it and give it a chance to get used to it. If not then by all means get a rug or get the Surgery. Do what you gotta do to get through each day and live

Enter your email address: