Author Topic: a different point of view  (Read 4986 times)

Offline outsidemike

• Learning the way of Sly
a different point of view
« on: February 23, 2011, 11:28:02 PM »
I've noticed a lot of people on here are rather self conscious of there balding. Well, imagine that one day you woke up and your hair had grown back as perfect as  when you where 16... your thinking woohoo.....but....

As soon as you  open your mouth you block, stammer , make weird noises, and contort your face.    You go talk to your wife, but cant even say her name and she looks at you like your a retard.   You stop for a coffee on the way to work, but cant say "cream no sugar", and wind up with sugar in your coffee, which you hate but drink anyways.   At work you find out your co-workers no longer have the  time to listen to you and start ignoring you, some are so busy as to tell you to say it quick or screw off.  You wind up loosing your job and get stuck working in the back of some dingy warehouse  where you don't have to talk to people much.  This  BS  goes on for years, and you spend tens of thousands of dollars to go to a speech pathologist, but 25 years go by, and despite improvements you still cant talk right..... ah but look at that full head of hair, I bet you want that size 3XL forehead back now.

Welcome to my life except I'm balding too. But  balding is the least of my concerns, its a cosmetic hiccup compared to my stutter. so trust me on this, there are fates far worse than a shiny scalp, and even worse yet than a stutter.

Offline Magoo

• Sly Bureau
Re: a different point of view
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2011, 03:48:40 PM »
Your so right Mike.
If only all men lived by the "Golden Rule ."

Offline Nonick

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2011, 08:28:05 PM »
Roger that mike, many people don't realize how minor hair loss is in the big picture  :o

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2011, 07:10:02 AM »
The bald part is easy.  I have a friend, brilliant and I do mean brilliant lawyer, graduated with honors from Yale an all around great guy.  Full head of hair, but he shares with you the problem of stammer.  He's never let it stop him, participates fully in a trial practice, lobbies with the legislature--seemingly going all out to be in situations where he needs to speak in public.  It can be done, even though the stops and stammer continue unabated he's effective and successful.  I hope you gain the ability to live with the issue--and if there is any comfort to this issue, remember it isn't life threatening any more than being bald is.  People appreciate you for what you say, not the difficulty that you have saying it. 

Offline The Scottish Ambassador

• Scottish Ambassador to SBG!
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2011, 07:18:05 AM »
Excellent thread. Well said Mike  O0
If you always do what you've always done, then you'll always get what you've always got!

Offline wpruitt

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
  • Sly!!
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2011, 06:23:04 AM »
Great post
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2011, 10:01:29 AM »
Very nice Mike!
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline LatinCoffee

• Como estas?
  • Sly
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2011, 10:02:28 AM »
Great way to realize and count our blessings!!  O0 Thanks Mike!

Offline buddha

• Sly Bureau
  • Cut myself shaving!
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2011, 11:33:32 AM »
Have you checked into speech therapy? I have heard that there is a technique that they have found that will either reduce or eliminate stuttering.
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it never really care for anything else thereafter."
Ernest Hemingway, On The Blue Water.

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2011, 02:35:06 AM »
Awesome post!
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline Papa Don

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2011, 11:10:10 AM »
What a great anallogy Mike.  I too have a speech problem. Or is it that my brain is dead?  When talking, I have a thought in my mind, but when I open my mouth, a different wordis substituted from my original thought.  This can really cause me to sound ignorant.  So usually in a conversation with several people, I tend to keep my thoughts to myself.  Just goes to show, that we all have our little problems in life.  I hope that one day you will overcome your stammer.
I am no better that anyone else, but by God, no one is better than I am