Author Topic: Nervous about shaving again  (Read 8323 times)

Offline slickjack

• Sly Jr.
  • Day 1
Nervous about shaving again
« on: January 30, 2018, 06:05:30 AM »
Hi guys,

I’ve just booked myself an appointment for a straight razor head shave on Thursday at a great barber near DC. I don’t have thinning hair but have shaved a few times over the years. I’ve been looking forward to shaving again for a while. But now I’ve booked the appointment I’m really nervous/apprehensive. I’m not sure why. I’ve had a skin fade for a while with some length on top. So the shave will be quite a big change. Am I crazy to shave again? Frank/honest advice welcome.

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
Re: Nervous about shaving again
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2018, 06:21:57 AM »
Even though you know what to expect, it's reasonable to be a little apprehensive. It's a big change. Once the barber runs the clippers down the top of your head, you will feel relief.

You looked great with a shaved head, are you going to keep the beard? Enjoy your day on Thursday!
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline slybeard

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2018, 06:45:54 AM »
You must want the headshave since you scheduled the appointment.  You have done it before and know what to expect.  Just do it.  And BTW, I suggest you keep the beard.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2018, 06:47:56 AM by slybeard »
SlyBeard

Offline slickjack

• Sly Jr.
  • Day 1
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2018, 08:35:57 PM »
Im definitely keeping the beard, and will grow it a bit too I think

Offline DoberDaddy

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2018, 11:15:30 PM »
Im definitely keeping the beard, and will grow it a bit too I think

I shaved an almost full head of hair, back when I was about 30. The response was very positive, although I had a buzzcut at the time. You will look great, especially with the beard.

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2018, 07:17:41 AM »
As mentioned before, nowadays a shaved head is just another acceptable hairstyle choice. I've been bald by choice for nearly 5 years. Of course some people can't figure out why, but most just accept it or don't really care. Funny how many people I've met in the last 5 years assume I'm bald and shave what's left.

Offline slickjack

• Sly Jr.
  • Day 1
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2018, 09:05:01 AM »
Thanks for the support and encouragement. I’ll let you know how it goes tomorrow. Does anyone use an Andis Profoil shaver to keep smooth. I was thinking of getting one if it’s easier than a razor

Offline slybeard

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2018, 11:22:11 AM »
Thanks for the support and encouragement. I’ll let you know how it goes tomorrow. Does anyone use an Andis Profoil shaver to keep smooth. I was thinking of getting one if it’s easier than a razor

I had a barber use one on my head once (I was expecting a straight razor, but forgot to specify).  I was impressed at how close it actually got.  But based on the number of passes it took, I am not sure it is any easier that using a good razor.
SlyBeard

Offline Laser Man

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2018, 03:26:38 PM »
It'll be a change, so you'll probably have to go through a period of answering questions again, but since you've done it before, that will be a piece of cake.

Good luck tomorrow!

Offline nuts

• sly and bearded
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2018, 07:47:50 PM »
All the best for tomorrow.
Roger

Offline DoberDaddy

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2018, 01:08:03 AM »
Anecdotally, I have NEVER had a barber shave my head, as good as I could, at home, in the shower with a MachIII.

Just my own experience. And I have tried... Tel Aviv, San Francisco, Paris, London...

S.

Offline slickjack

• Sly Jr.
  • Day 1
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2018, 04:23:50 PM »
So I went to the barber today and I’m very happily shaved smooth again. Given the length of my hair and the winter he was initially hesitant when I said I wanted to be shaved (he was concerned about the cold most of all). But he soon obliged and quickly buzzed me down to zero with clippers before putting a hot towel on my head and then scraping away the remaining hair with a straight razor. He tidied up my beard and so I look and feel like a new man. Totally liberating. I’m not sure why I waited this long to be shaved again.

My head was nicely shaved but not entirely smooth after the razor. So I used my new Andis foil shavers to take away any remaining fuzz against the grain. It took a while. But my head is now so smooth I can’t stop rubbing it!

I’ve attached pics. Let me know what you think.

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2018, 04:42:10 PM »
Looks awesome! Welcome back to the bald brotherhood.

Offline slickjack

• Sly Jr.
  • Day 1
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2018, 04:47:50 PM »
Thanks!

Offline nuts

• sly and bearded
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2018, 09:54:07 PM »