Author Topic: Oster 76 Classic or Oster Fast Feed  (Read 1998 times)

Offline Gmoney7

• Learning the way of Sly
Oster 76 Classic or Oster Fast Feed
« on: November 27, 2017, 04:56:58 PM »
Hey all,

So I'm looking to buy some new clippers. Right now I have the Wahl Cordless Clippers but they don't seem to cut as well or get as close as I would like. I'm looking for some new clippers that I will be using on myself and won't cut my head easily.

I was originally thinking about the Oster 76 because I heard they were the best. I like how you can start at 000 and go to 00000. However, I'm concerned that I may cut myself easily because they are heavy duty.

Is the Oster Fast Feed able to get to a 00000 if needed?
Feel free to post any input, or suggestions you may have.

Thanks!

Offline Semi-Sly

• Sly Bureau
Re: Oster 76 Classic or Oster Fast Feed
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2017, 06:40:31 PM »
Oster Fast Feed (OFF) does not have interchangeable blades.  It has a single blade with wide openings and fewer "teeth" than regular blades so that it can cut coarse hair more quickly.  Having said that, it will not make as fine a cut if your hair shows "lines" when it is cut,

(I am referring to the lines you can sometime see in a homemade or Super Cuts buzz cut.  Some guys' hair will show these lines when they is is cut with a "guard.  The wide opening teeth of the guards push the hair to one side or another before it is cut and that can leave a faint "line" in its "wake" after the hair is cut and then pops back into its normal resting position after the guard has passed through it).

The OFF says that it is adjustable between 000 and 1 but I don't know how true that is.  I know that my Wahl professional clippers say the same thing - but they don't.  When fully closed my magic clips do not cut as short as my Osters do when I pop the 000 blade onto them.

I don't know why you would want to spend the money on a set of Osters and the blades unless you are going to be cutting hair for other people in your family.  My Oster Octane's were $300 and each of my 10 blades cost around $30.   But, I am a barber and I use them for all of my bulk cutting.  (I actually use the Wahl magic clip for the rest of the haircut because Andis has not yet come out with a cordless Andis Master)

If you are just using the clippers for shaving your head why not try a set of Wahl balding clippers.  They cut almost to 00000.  Just be careful - they are sharp! Go slow and use a shallow angle.

Offline Nuttinut

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2017, 10:31:54 PM »
I think it's ok both. What is your favorite type?

Offline Semi-Sly

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2017, 10:32:05 PM »
I think it's ok both. What is your favorite type?

The three  clippers a barber cannot do without are:

1.  A heavy duty bulk clipper like the Oster 76 (if you don't mind a cord) or the Oster Octane which is cordless.  both require that you buy interchangeable blades for about $30 each blade).

2.  A good adjustable clipper.  The Andis Master is "hands down" the very best but it has a cord.  The Wahl magic Clip is cordless and is a close second to the Andis Master.

3.  A good trimmer/outliner like the Andis T-outliner (has a cord) or the Andis Pro lithium (cordless)

Enter your email address: