Author Topic: Help needed - increased number of bumps on scalp  (Read 6314 times)

Offline domen

• Learning the way of Sly
Help needed - increased number of bumps on scalp
« on: November 08, 2017, 02:56:13 PM »
Hey Sly community! I have been a longtime lurker of the forum but only now I have stumbled across a problem i cannot seem able to resolve. Therefore I would appreciate the expert advice from you guys.

I have been bald for the better part of last 5 years (went bald at about 19), and I have been using razors to shave my head. Last year mid October, I have started noticing small bumps all over my temple (top part of my scalp), that are skin color, non-itchy, and have no fluid in them. Besides the visual annoyance they insofar have caused no distress. I have seen a dermatologist who could not diagnose the condition, but has recommended some sensitive after shaves/shampoos that have had no improving effect on my scalp.

Believing that the razor shaving might have been the issue for all this, I have switched to electric shaving 2 months ago, to see if the bumps would perhaps disappear. No luck here either, the bumps remain a strong part of my scalp - I am attaching the picture, hopefully you can see the issue well.

Thank you all in advance for your help and suggestions on this.

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
Re: Help needed - increased number of bumps on scalp
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2017, 03:19:16 PM »
Welcome to Sbg!

What is your current shave routine?
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline domen

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2017, 03:45:38 PM »
Thank you Tyler!

My routine has changed over the years but in a nutshell for razor shaving it is something like this:

• Wash my head with hot water (shampoo/soap optional)
  • Apply shaving gel for sensitive skin
  • wait couple minutes and prepare the razor
  • shave
  • wash head with hot water and shampoo/soap
  • pat down the head with a towel and dry up
  • wash again with cold water
  • apply aloe vera after shave

as far as electric shaving goes its roughly the same, and as for products I don't use anything special, never have.

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2017, 04:08:58 PM »
Did you happen to make any changes to your routine or products around Oct of last year?
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline domen

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2017, 04:11:41 PM »
No, I have used the same routine for the last 4 years (started with shaving in the shower, then had a more step by step approach), and only started changing adding products and routine variations once the bumps started occurring.

Offline Magoo

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2017, 06:41:09 PM »
Try not using the aloe Vera for a while. You may be drying out you scalp , washing 3 times may be excessive. Try using witch hazel as an after shave splash. Sometimes less is better you may be over working the shave routine.on a personal note I rarely use shampoo , l just rinse off the shave soap or cream and have no problem. In the winter if my scalp feels dry I use 2 drops of Shave Secret oil on wet hands and apply to head. Not greasy and adds a shine.
If only all men lived by the "Golden Rule ."

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2017, 06:54:01 PM »
I agree with @Magoo that you should try cutting out the aloe.

Offline sebrun

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2017, 12:04:50 AM »
After you wash your head, splash it with 91% isopropyl alcohol. Do it 3 or 4 times let it dry between each application.  Each time, the skin will tighten a little more and the pores will be more flattened. It works for me. The just wiping it down with water and letting it air dry a couple of times during the day keeps it looking smooth shiny.

Offline domen

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2017, 03:41:04 AM »
Thank you all for your suggestions and replies.

After you wash your head, splash it with 91% isopropyl alcohol. Do it 3 or 4 times let it dry between each application.  Each time, the skin will tighten a little more and the pores will be more flattened. It works for me. The just wiping it down with water and letting it air dry a couple of times during the day keeps it looking smooth shiny.

Try using witch hazel as an after shave splash.
I will definitely try these, thanks, will post results in the future if there is any improvements.

Try not using the aloe Vera for a while. You may be drying out you scalp , washing 3 times may be excessive. Try using witch hazel as an after shave splash. Sometimes less is better you may be over working the shave routine.on a personal note I rarely use shampoo , l just rinse off the shave soap or cream and have no problem. In the winter if my scalp feels dry I use 2 drops of Shave Secret oil on wet hands and apply to head. Not greasy and adds a shine.
I agree with @Magoo that you should try cutting out the aloe.

Perhaps though, I was not clear enough in my explanation of the shaving routine, with regards to Aloe: I only started using Aloe in the last couple months, not before the occurrence of the bumps - the main reason was to try to use Aloe as a remedy for the bumps, therefore I doubt it being the cause.

Before the bumps started occurring, i was maybe using products, both shampoo or soap for my head on weekly basis only, mostly just using water to wash after shaving.

I started using/experimenting with shampoo/soap/aftershave for sensitive skin (Eucerin) only after seeing the dermatologist in January this year, but have since had no improvements on the issue.

The biggest problem with this for me is being unable to diagnose what the issue actually is. Have you guys seen something similar to my issue or can suggest what the bumps might actually be?

Again, thank you all, much appreciated

Offline Magoo

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2017, 07:33:26 AM »
You said you have seen a dermatologist. Folliculitis was never mentioned, just wondering ?

Offline domen

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2017, 10:01:15 AM »
No, the dermatologist was not the best (except for taking the money that is) and did not really spend too much time on investigation of the issue.

To answer your question - no Folliculitis was not mentioned. Moreover, I have done quite a bit of research on the topic of Folliculitis and it seems that Folliculitis is more aggressive compared to my issue (redness, pain, itchiness, fluid, etc.) none of which are also my symptoms.

I am planning to go see another dermatologist soon, but the waiting queue is very long in my country.

Offline Magoo

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2017, 05:48:46 PM »
No, the dermatologist was not the best (except for taking the money that is) and did not really spend too much time on investigation of the issue.

To answer your question - no Folliculitis was not mentioned. Moreover, I have done quite a bit of research on the topic of Folliculitis and it seems that Folliculitis is more aggressive compared to my issue (redness, pain, itchiness, fluid, etc.) none of which are also my symptoms.

I am planning to go see another dermatologist soon, but the waiting queue is very long in my country.

I think seeing another doctor is a good idea . Question, do you shave daily? Maybe saving every other day might be helpful.

Offline Goatee

• Bald and Proud to be!
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2017, 08:45:50 AM »
Change razor? Be less aggressive? Only shave with the grain for a while?

Offline Semi-Sly

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2017, 11:05:14 PM »
i am a big fan of dermatologists myself. 

It might be folliculitis - but it might just be clogged pores!   the aloe vera gel you are using may be clogging the pores and you are getting a build-up of sebum in them. 

I agree with:
- lay off the aloe or any kind of "gel" for a while
- clean your skin with a high quality cleaner like Sea Breeze which contains a very small percentage (1 - 3 % ) of Salicylic acid.
- If you can't find Sea Breeze use the Witch Hazel.  it is a natural plant extract.  It is a natural cleaner and a natural antiseptic

Offline Goatee

• Bald and Proud to be!
  • Ultimate Sly Guy