Author Topic: Shaving - without any shaving cream - Do you do it?  (Read 20304 times)

Offline TheSlyBear

• Opinionated Walrus
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • 忍者クマ
Re: Shaving - without any shaving cream - Do you do it?
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2012, 10:36:54 AM »
Wouldn't even think of doing it. Ever.

Offline tomgallagher

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2012, 01:01:22 PM »
Sounds like something out of truth or dare.

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2012, 01:37:47 PM »
To me, just doesn't make sense, a good lather made on a brush with Headslick over Shave Secret--fantastic feel, great smooth & long lasting too.  Shaving shouldn't be difficult, painful or bloody--but that's just me, maybe!

Offline Electric Rider

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2012, 08:51:07 PM »
I want to add that I'm not against using something like shaving cream - just not used to using it.. didn't think I needed to use anything.. I may have just proven myself wrong..

I did get a GREAT shave today. I don't use shaving cream as a rule but decided to give in and use "something". I looked up home alternatives to shaving cream since I did not have any on hand. Of the things I read about I decided to try both hair conditioner and glycerin. I happen to have a big bottle of glycerin bought from Essential Wholesale a soap making supply company. It's used in my other hobby electronic cigarettes.

I tested a 1/4 size area of my head with conditioner and another with glycerin. The conditioner side made a closer shave but the glycerin side was smoother as far as the razor gliding across my head. So, I mixed equal parts together and BAM. I got a really close smooth shave with no nicks cuts, burns or scratches. Best shave my head has had. I didn't save any time but the shave was awesome

Offline flawness01

• Learning the way of Sly
  • life is beautiful<3
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2017, 01:59:31 PM »
Never!I have very sensitive skin so I always use shaving cream,Mach3 razors from https://www.gillette.co.in/en-in/products/razor-blades/mach3-razors and aftershave splash! My skin is soft and I don’t have any redness on my face and neck after shave!My brother also uses Gillette cosmetics and he is satisfied just like me.

Offline Semi-Sly

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2017, 10:19:24 PM »
 I am a barber.  I graduated from barber school a little over a year ago.  This is my opinion:

Yes, it is possible to shave dry; but why do it?  You can shave without soap, you can shave using just oil, or you can shave dry - but why do it if you understand how your hair and skin are built?

Water and lubricant are the two aids to shaving.  Water softens the  hairs.  Water actually causes the "scales" of the hairs to open up and expose the softer tissues inside the hair to the razor. 

Hot water actually causes the pores to spread open and push the hairs upward so that they can be cut off at, (or in a sense below) the skin line.

The purpose of any shaving soap, cream or gel is to hold the water near the hairs.  Any type of soap will do.  In the old days the barber would make up a mug full of foam from some simple bar soap, (that contained animal and vegetable fats) and he would rub, rub, rub it into your beard to get the hairs moist and open.

The barber would use hot towels before and after applying the wet soap in order to get the pores to spread open and push those hairs upward so that he could whack them off with his razor.  Afterward he would use a cold towel or a cooling liquid like alcohol to cause the pores to contract and pull the cut ends back down into the skin so that your skin would feel velvety smooth.

The other effect of the oils in the soap was to give the razor its own "ice rink" to glide across.  That is why today many of us shave using a pre-shave oil like shave secret.

Sure, you can shave dry.  I have even been shaved using a fine powder for the razor to glide on.  But if you just shave dry:

-you cannot get as close of a shave;
-you cannot get as comfortable a shave; and
- you ruin your razor blade.  (how long do you thing a tile saw blade would last if you didn't lubricate it with water?)

You don't need anything expensive.  And yes, a lot of shaving products are a big rip off.  Anything that holds moisture to the hair and or lubricates your skin for the blade will do.  You can use any old kind of soap.  You can use even olive oil as a pre-shave oil.  My colonel is a lifelong BBC'er and he shaves using Noxema skin cream as his only shaving aid.

You can buy shave secret oil at Walmart for only $3.   You can buy good old fashioned shaving soap in a tube for only a buck or two (AND the non aerosol shaving soaps don't contain the alcohol or other chemicals that are bad for your skin that the aerosol propellants have!)  But what you spend on soap or oil you will save on razor blades because they will last you much longer than if you shave dry.

In the end, whatever works for you is good!

Offline Magoo

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2017, 09:37:18 AM »
@ Semi- Sly , excellent information on shaving and it’s history.  O0
If only all men lived by the "Golden Rule ."

Offline J_Scott

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2017, 09:03:00 PM »
I dont use shaving cream, i actually use olive oil on my head as lubrication. I find its actually much more pleasant for someone with senstive skin, plus its got the advantage of working as both a both a preshave oil and the main lubricant.

Offline Magoo

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2017, 12:24:59 PM »
I have tried Shave Secret shaving oil . Found it harder to clean the razor than when using cream or soap. But I use it after shaving for a moisturizer and I like the scent.
If only all men lived by the "Golden Rule ."

Offline Semi-Sly

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2017, 11:16:31 PM »
For after shaving my favorites from the "old school" of barber products are:

1.  Running a wet Alum block over the scalp
2.  Massage with a good old favorite product like Sandahl's "Lucky Tiger Disappearing Cream" or regular Noxema cream

My New favorite "new school" after shaving product is Woody's "Shave Relief Balm".  It feels great and has a great scent.  Woody also makes some great beard grooming products.

Enter your email address: