Author Topic: Marshall's fitness goal  (Read 61844 times)

Offline marshd1000

• Sly Bureau
  • Love your bald noggin, wear a hat in the sun!
    • Christian Chromedomes
Marshall's fitness goal
« on: December 04, 2006, 12:07:23 AM »
For the past dozen years, I have really struggled with my weight.  In fact I am pre-diabetic.  So I HAVE to lose weight.  I am 5' 8" and 220 lbs.  Plus I get tired easily. 

I currently belong to 24 Hr. Fitness but am laxed about going there.  But it is at a mall less than 10 min from home.

My goal is to start going there and doing something cardio at least 3 times a week starting next week at the latest. 

The next goal is to start being disciplined in terms of my eating.  I plan on starting that in January.  I plan on using a balanced diet plan called, "The Swedish Heart Diet".  It is called, "The Swedish Heart Diet" because it was developed at Seattle's Swedish Medical Center.  About 12 years ago, I actually lost 40 pounds on this diet.  The food isn't bad on this diet either.  But unfortunately, I didn't make it a lifestyle change.  But because of my blood sugar, I need to do it.

Anyway, I am hoping to lose 5 pounds a month and be down to 165 lbs by my stepmom's 90th birthday in December of 2007.

A secondary goal would be to become more toned and have more definition.

Offline happyharry

• Team Sly
  • Super Sly
  • bald, bold and beautiful
Re: Marshall's fitness goal
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2006, 05:03:23 PM »
Hey marsh,

losing weight and leading a healthier life is always a worthwhile goal.
I'm aware of the fact that pretty much everybody has his own diet they discovered
for themselves, and they go around telling everybody about it, promoting it. It's ridiculous.

But I've discovered a great diet for myself and I totally swear by it: it's the
blood type diet by Peter D'Adamo - there's also the bestselling book Eat Right 4 Your Type.
Check out the website http://www.dadamo.com/

Basically, the theory is that there's a certain diet for each individual blood type. As man evolved,
and based on the geographical region the various blood types evolved, people of a certain blood type
ate certain things. Then, in our present time, people live all over the world and eat all kinds of sh*t that has nothing to do with what our ancestors (of the same blood type) ate.

But anyway, I'm type 0, and that means I'm some sort of Neanderthal (ugh ugh, meat...yummy!) and
my diet is heavily based on fish and meat and...liver...AAAH!!!
But it works: I lost a lot of weight (while still eating the same amount of food), and I feel much much better and more alive and vivid than ever before. The blood type diet for my type dictates that I refrain from
eating wheat products (and I REALLY love pizza and pasta). So that's the only downside to this...

Anyway, good luck with your diet plans.
Who loves ya, baby?

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2006, 09:38:09 PM »
Great goal Marshall!  Let us know what we can do to help you achieve it.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline happyharry

• Team Sly
  • Super Sly
  • bald, bold and beautiful
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2006, 09:30:28 AM »
Great goal Marshall!  Let us know what we can do to help you achieve it.

That's right, let us know if we can help you.

Hey, we can be your weightwatchers, carefully monitoring your progress.
And if we ever catch you on a midnight ice cream frenzy by the fridge, we'll kick your butt big time... ;)
Who loves ya, baby?

Offline Robmeister

• The Duke of SLY
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • I'm not this handsome in real life
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2006, 05:58:41 PM »
I am hoping to lose 5 pounds a month

That is actually the best way to lose, find a groove of lifestyle where you're G-R-A-D-U-A-L-L-Y but consistently losing just a little at a time.    Good Plan!!

Here is an inspirational picture I use.  Not that my body is capable of the one on the right, but it can be done.  It may be more of a transformation than you're interested in.  But, just the before and after difference is inspiring to me.  It's from Bill Phillips book, "Body For Life"

Offline marshd1000

• Sly Bureau
    • Christian Chromedomes
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2006, 06:14:31 PM »
Hey!

Thanks for the encouragement!  I just went to the doctor and found I am still NOT diabetic.....yet.  My blood sugar is 117.  Diabetic is 126.  So while I don't have to be on drugs yet, I know that it is close enought that I have to do something.  Also Christmas time is hard for me.  But I did something different this year.  I made a pumpkin pie using Splenda Granular.  It still isn't as sweet as sugar in this recipe, but it wasn't bad.  I also made cranberries with Splenda and it tasted really good.  I haven't been to the gym yet.  But I did say next week.  I will let you all know about my progress.  I will eventually try to get some pictures posted.  But it is nice to have some encouragement!  I used to think I was ugly as a fat guy.  I actually think I am a handsome fat guy.  But, I know I will feel better thinner and I will take the design that God gave me and get it back to where He wanted it.  And that is not to abuse my body with food.  Plus I WILL look better!

Offline PBurke

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2006, 06:22:01 PM »
Good luck marshall. I think since we are all gonna do this at the same time it will help us all out. looking forward to seeing your progress.

Treat people with respect, or just ignore them!

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2006, 11:37:49 PM »
Hey!

Thanks for the encouragement!  I just went to the doctor and found I am still NOT diabetic.....yet.  My blood sugar is 117.  Diabetic is 126. 

That's great news Marshall!  Now just make sure you stick with your plan so you don't ever have to take those drugs.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline ar3inc

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • Oh yes, I'm back and in black
    • Myspace
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2006, 02:05:29 PM »
Something to think about, especially with the diabetic potential: Diet is very critical for a healthier life, in fact some experts argue it is more important then exercise.  If you are not ready to jump in to both at the same time and look at the situation as using better gas for the car when it is getting ready for an upcoming race, that is understandable.  Gradually is good.  Slow is steady… steady is smooth… smooth is fast.  You might be better severed to change your diet first then start going to the gym after a few weeks of healthy dieting. 
Another key thing, that is often misunderstood, is that dieting does not always mean cut back on eating.  It means changing your eating habits, style and what you eat. 
"Every man dies, not every man really lives."  Braveheart, 1995

Offline marshd1000

• Sly Bureau
    • Christian Chromedomes
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2006, 06:15:32 PM »
Well guys, I can't say that I have made any effort yet on the fitness challenge.  I am shooting for starting the New Year by going to the gym.  Also the second week of January, my boss and I are going to do a weight loss challenge.  I have a real hard time with discipline.  That is my biggest downfall.  But one thing did happen in my favor.  I had to throw out a lot of food in the freezer since parts of Seattle had an extended power outage just before Christmas.  A lot of the food was not that good for me.   So now I am restocked with healthier stuff in the fridge.  One thing that I am afraid of is being too hard on my feet.  Currently I work all day on concrete floors and my left foot hurts.  So I am hoping that it won't be an issue in terms of doing cardio.  I don't know if I have gout or something.  I guess I need to talk to the doctor about that.

BaldRob

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2006, 06:39:47 PM »
One thing that I am afraid of is being too hard on my feet.  Currently I work all day on concrete floors and my left foot hurts.  So I am hoping that it won't be an issue in terms of doing cardio.  I don't know if I have gout or something.  I guess I need to talk to the doctor about that.

I have issues with my feet and knees also... so I walk on the treadmill and do the heavy cardio stuff on a bike or an elliptical.  Both are very low impact... and depending on the elliptical, some work the arms also!

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2006, 06:43:46 PM »
Marshall, try a circuit training workout.  This will allow you to get cardio while lifting weights.  It's also less impact on your feet than using the aerobic machines.

If you want me to post my workout just let me know.

Offline Johnny

• Sly Finance Guy
  • Sly
    • NCompass Financial, LLC
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2007, 12:54:20 PM »
Well guys, I can't say that I have made any effort yet on the fitness challenge.  I am shooting for starting the New Year by going to the gym.  Also the second week of January, my boss and I are going to do a weight loss challenge. 

We are into the new year, have you made it to the gym? Just a friendly little reminder. We have to support each other.

Offline marshd1000

• Sly Bureau
    • Christian Chromedomes
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2007, 06:26:08 PM »
Yes, I did make it into the gym on Wednesday.  I plan on making it to the gym on Wednesday, Saturday and Monday.  Hopefully more.  But I know I need to be ther at least 3 times a week.  Thanks for the reminder.  I will start keeping you all posted on my progress!

Offline marshd1000

• Sly Bureau
    • Christian Chromedomes
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2007, 08:06:25 PM »
I am disappointed in myself.  I haven't made it to the gym lately.  But on the good side, I am in a weight loss competition with my boss.  I am starting to eat properly.  But I know that the exercise has to start happening.  Too bad that there aren't any of you in Seattle to work out with!  But I am lousy at time management.  That is the biggest problem in terms of my not working out.  But I am not giving up!

Enter your email address: