Author Topic: It doesn't seem like a solution. It seems like a trade.  (Read 24947 times)

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: It doesn't seem like a solution. It seems like a trade.
« Reply #30 on: June 08, 2017, 06:20:12 AM »
Save your energy and your anger, fellas. The troll from post #28 has been banned.
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline njbill

• Sly
« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2017, 10:35:09 AM »
Meh it is what it is....Dr Evil look is .marginally better than Dr Phil.   I still hate it but thats all I have to work with I hit the gym and lost weight but the whole hair thing still annoys me

Offline Michael1986

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #32 on: September 17, 2018, 08:34:46 PM »
I started losing my hair five years ago at the age of 26. While I respect the choice that many men make of accepting their hair loss and going sly, that was not the path that I chose to follow. I made the decision that I would do all I could to fight my hair loss. And so, after a lot of research, I got on a regimen consisting of Dutasteride, Minoxidil, and topical Ketoconazole. For those who don't know, Dutasteride does the same thing as Finasteride/Propecia, but it is stronger. At the point when I began treatment, I was a Norwood 2.5 with aggressive thinning over the top and crown of my head. The treatment regimen stopped my hair loss dead in its tracks, and after about three months of starting treatment I noticed the beginnings of regrowth. Now aged 31, I have stuck religiously to this regimen ever since, and my hair is looking great. While I don't have quite the same hairline I did at age 12, I am very satisfied with the results of the treatment. I am a Norwood 2 with a thick head of hair. Had I never treated my hair loss, I would almost certainly be a Norwood 4 or greater by now, as was the case for my dad, his father, his brothers, my mother's dad, and her brothers. I always knew that I was genetically destined to lose my hair young due to my family history. Thanks to these treatments, and the helpfulness of the users of the hairlosstalk forums who made me aware of how to treat my hair loss in the first place, I basically have a full head of hair. Also to mention, I have no side-effects from the treatments I use.
As I said, I have respect for you if you choose to accept your hair loss and go sly. It is important to make the decision that you feel is right for you. However, I don't feel it is right for a guy who's chosen to go sly to actually try to dissuade hair loss sufferers from trying to treat their hair loss with Propecia (or dutasteride). I think that hair loss sufferers should be made aware of all the options. Going sly is one option, and choosing to treat your hair loss with proven treatments is another. For me, treating my hair loss is what I chose, and it has been a success for me and has improved my quality of life. I am happy with the decision I made.
So, that's my bit of advice. Carefully consider all the options, and do what you genuinely feel is right for you.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2018, 08:50:13 PM by Michael1986 »

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #33 on: September 18, 2018, 07:41:57 AM »
I don't think very many guys that want to hold on to every scrap of hair come to a website with thousands of guys that like to sport a shaved , for advice. By the time that come here, they have already considered shaving or buzzing their head. What they get here is honest answers and support.
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline Laser Man

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #34 on: September 18, 2018, 10:08:00 AM »
Well said, reddog! 

The general response from guys on this site to people wondering about alternate treatments is to advise them to understand the possible side effects of medication.  Michael1986, you may not have had any side effects, but other people have. 

Also, if you read enough posts on this site, you will see what reddog means.  The vast majority of inquiries are from guys who have reached point where they are considering shaving because, 1) they have lost a lot of hair, 2) they are tired of wearing hairpieces, 3) they have tried medications already.  At that point, our advice is consistent: try shaving and if you don't like it, your hair will grow back fairly quickly.  Our advice is always to go with what you are comfortable with.  The only proviso is that a radical change like shaving your head takes some time for you and others to adjust, so it may take time before you are fully comfortable.

Offline Michael1986

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #35 on: September 18, 2018, 11:53:42 AM »
This subforum is called "advantages and disadvantages to being bald", and so I think that on here people should take a balanced view and make hair loss sufferers aware of the advantages and disadvantages of the various options that are available. I'd have to say that I personally find it hard to understand the mentality on this website. Sure, shaving your head bald due to hair loss is better than sporting a grown out horseshoe, but better still is if you'd never lost your hair to begin with. In my opinion, virtually everyone looks better with a head of hair than without. I think that if a guy has half a chance of holding on to his head of hair by using a proven treatment that's available, it would be a pity for him not to if I'm going to be honest.

Offline Magoo

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #36 on: September 18, 2018, 01:30:35 PM »
This subforum is called "advantages and disadvantages to being bald", and so I think that on here people should take a balanced view and make hair loss sufferers aware of the advantages and disadvantages of the various options that are available. I'd have to say that I personally find it hard to understand the mentality on this website. Sure, shaving your head bald due to hair loss is better than sporting a grown out horseshoe, but better still is if you'd never lost your hair to begin with. In my opinion, virtually everyone looks better with a head of hair than without. I think that if a guy has half a chance of holding on to his head of hair by using a proven treatment that's available, it would be a pity for him not to if I'm going to be honest.
Apparently shaving your head is not for you that’s understandable. But as was mentioned by one of the members many have tried other methods and meds and were not happy with the results. So all where saying is maybe shaving may work for them. Is that so hard to understand ? Fortunately most members find it a good option , certainly not everyone. If a person wants to try other methods first they should , where not saying our way is the only way.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2018, 01:44:03 PM by Magoo »
If only all men lived by the "Golden Rule ."

Offline Laser Man

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #37 on: September 18, 2018, 05:51:44 PM »

You are entitled to your opinion.  I'm not sure what is so hard to understand about "the mentality" of this site.  There are people out there who like being bald. We like the look and feel of being bald. Perhaps we don't want to take medications for the rest of our lives or perhaps the medications have either been ineffective or have caused side effects.  Some of us have decided that there are more important aspects to our lives than worrying about our hairlines.  I'm sure there are other reasons, but it is our opinion and our choice.  None of that should be hard to understand.

If you don't feel this is the right forum for you, you are not being forced to participate. 

Offline Feenix

• Sly Jr.
  • Like Mr Boombastic, I'm semi fantastic!
« Reply #38 on: November 29, 2018, 07:26:56 AM »
In my experience, all solutions are a trade of some kind.  All of them.

Offline Ty1963

• Sly Jr.
  • Hi I'm Ty
« Reply #39 on: February 02, 2019, 03:46:59 PM »
Hi, I'm no longer 26 but at 26 years old my crown was totally bald I had a 4 inch circle in the back of my head I refer to it as my Bullseye when I would go and have a haircut I have them blend my hair up at the 0 guard into the crown and the sides and keep one length on top my basic theory was out of sight out of mind well then some Ten Years Later I started thinning on top I thought I dodged the bullet but I had not I never tried Rogaine or Propecia I was waiting for an actual cure; since hair loss is a 3 billion dollar a year industry currently I don't suspect that there will ever actually be a cure because it's not financially sound so about three and a half months ago I shaved my head not because I wanted to I did in response to reading things on the internet it was hard not shaving it I've been in the military shave my head many times but I always knew my hair would grow back the way it was when I shaved it well if it did that now I would not be happy because obviously that's why I shaved it off but for me the benefits are my grandson gets a ride on my shoulders and I don't have to worry about him knocking off my hair system somehow I don't have to put any protective layer on my hair system when I go to bed so I don't damage it because it's cost so much money and today my grandson got sidewalk chalk and Drew on my head you're a  young man you will probably have children if you don't at least maybe don't miss out on photographs and swimming and your children drawing on your head with sidewalk chalk because being bald is hard to deal with you're not really bald you're like me you have more hair than you don't have this is a hairstyle choice I wear it because I think it looks good and actually everyone that I know tells me without being solicited that I look younger and at peace which is something I hadn't looked in years and years, so I understand embracing is hard to do no matter your age really my father was 87 when he died with a full head of hair and I do mean full with a hairline of a 20 year old so life isn't fair but I wouldn't trade this experience for really in a sum of money because I've learned so much about myself so all I can tell you is love yourself be positive and everyone else will love you and for those that don't they really don't matter because there's many more that will it took me awhile to get this point actually it took me about 3 months you will start forget that you ever had hair and wonder why you ever cared so good luck and I really do wish you the best
Hi I'm Ty I'm 55 years old my hair started thinning in my late 20s and really started thinning quickly in my late 40s I've worn a hair system for the last year and I've just decided to shave my head for 30 days and give it a try so far I like it I feel confident with my bald head. Feels great!

Offline Quiet_Dan

• Super Sly
« Reply #40 on: February 03, 2019, 01:27:09 AM »
It's a solution if you view it as a solution, it's merely a trade-off if that's how you view it.

Sure if I wasn't balding I very much doubt I would have shaved my head, but I am significantly balding and to me shaving my head is the perfect solution.
God created only a few perfect heads, the rest he covered with hair!