Author Topic: Are men going bald younger than they used to?  (Read 10719 times)

Offline Miller1989

• Sly
Are men going bald younger than they used to?
« on: June 04, 2018, 07:47:50 AM »
I'm 29 now an have been out of high school for 11 years. I'm from a small town and lots of my former classmates are still around, and the ones that aren't, I keep in touch with on social media. I've noticed how bald alot of us are becoming. Even some that were 2-3 years younger than me. Like myself, some have gone the way of shaving their heads. I've heard some people claim that guys didn't used to lose their hair when they were in their twenties, that it didn't happen until later. Thoughts?

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
Re: Are men going bald younger than they used to?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2018, 11:08:49 AM »
I read about that somewhere, not sure how accurate it is. Maybe younger guys just aren't trying to hide it anymore, and are embracing their balding by shaving it off.
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2018, 11:19:00 AM »
It's likely that men could be balding earlier due to the poorer diet of many people, but I haven't seen any data that supports that men are balding earlier.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline scooby

• Sly
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2018, 04:34:15 PM »
i agree with reddog,a lot of people are embracing the fact they are going bald and feel its no big deal.

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2018, 06:33:31 PM »
I think stress also has caused alot of thinning hair. Years ago, I was under alot of stress, and had noticeable thinning. I got rid of all the stress, and my hair thickened back up. Right about the time I shaved it all off!

Today's fast pace may be the cause of stress induced thinning. Bad thing is it can also cause other health problems.

Offline JohnRa

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2018, 06:14:39 AM »
I think it's more acceptable to be bald today. I had uncles that were completely bald on top in their 20s, but they did comb-overs and hair transplants to mask it. They did those things for years. By the time I was 30, there wasn't much left on top. My grandfather used to say that grass doesn't grow on a busy street. I just went to a #2 blade and didn't look back.

Looking between the generations, my uncles, etc. did a lot to try to hide hair loss. The guys in my generation seem more laid back about it, not hiding it, just letting it be what it is. Not everyone is that way, naturally, just a casual observation.

Offline David_H

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2018, 10:37:16 AM »
I've noticed a trend to this also - not got any evidence to support it, just anecdotal. I knew someone who was 19 who had lost most of his hair. Didn't appear to bother him too much though. :o)

Offline scooby

• Sly
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2018, 03:04:48 PM »
i remember when i graduated high school in 1977 a kid in my class was completly bald on top of his head but had a lot of hair on the sides and back.

Offline zzaapp

• Sly
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2018, 11:51:08 PM »
An anecdote more than data, but I graduated high school in 1969, and when I was in college a couple years later, I found that I was shedding a lot of hair on my books when I was studying.  If I ran my hands through my hair, it was just falling out.  I had a combover (the style of that time for balding men) by the time I was 26 or 27.  So, it did happen early to some guys 50 years ago.  I don't think it is anything new.

Offline Magoo

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2018, 07:06:36 AM »
Life can be so unfair. My friend who is 84 yrs old ,has a complete full head of hair. It’s like a teenager, only all white. Not to long ago he was dyeing it blond.   :x!
If only all men lived by the "Golden Rule ."

Offline Blagadan

• Super Sly
  • Feckin' little baldy eejit!
    • My blog: Raiméis
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2018, 08:20:18 AM »
Similar to zzaapp, I don't think it's necessarily anything new. I was balding in my late teens/early 20s, that was over 20 yrs ago.
That being said, I don't know anyone who isn't stressed where I work. Is it the same everywhere??

Offline Magoo

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2018, 01:47:43 PM »
Without a doubt there is more continuous stress than years ago. What with cell phones , 24 hr. news , families both parents working to make ends meet. Political strife, cost of medical insurance, the need for more and more education,  where does it end.
If only all men lived by the "Golden Rule ."

Offline slybeard

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2018, 02:03:34 PM »
Years ago I heard that as a rule of thumb, 10% of guys start loosing their hair in their tees, 20% in their 20's, 30% in their 30's, and so on.  My wife has also asked the same question, are guys going bald sooner?  I think there really has not been a change, but guys are much more likely to embrace their hair loss and buzz or shave (no data, just my opinion).  When I was a kid, I never saw a guys with a shaved head, just a few on TV.  But I do remember a lot of guys with fringes, thin hair, or comb overs.  Many also work caps or hats to conceal baldness.

It would be interesting to see some real statistics.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2018, 03:28:08 PM by slybeard »
SlyBeard

Offline scooby

• Sly
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2018, 03:07:44 PM »
i think alot more people these days dont care if they shave their heads,not like years ago when they didnt want to lose little they have.more people now are more gutsy then years ago.

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2018, 06:54:06 PM »
I agree Scooby, more younger guys are shaving their heads because a totally bald head has become widely accepted if not trendy. It's kind of cool that men of all ages are embracing the bald hairstyle.

Yesterday, I had a car towed, and the driver sported a shaved head, we had a nice conversation about headshaving. Today I attended a seminar, and the presenter was sly. So many sly guys I talk to say they tried to grow their hair back but couldn't stand it and shaved it again.

Enter your email address: