Author Topic: Going Bald  (Read 5660 times)

Offline mudds

• Learning the way of Sly
Going Bald
« on: November 30, 2011, 07:20:04 AM »
I'm going bald at a young age, I'm lacking confidence and my wife seems to be losing any interest in me!!!!!!!

Any advice, if you what to get intouch please do emails good for me.

Really need some sound advice.

Thanks

Marky

Offline Ravenangel

• Sly Jr.
Re: Going Bald
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2011, 07:28:18 AM »
Hello there!
In my not-so-humble opinion, the thing is very complex. Since I do not know you or your wife, I cannot tell what the matter can be - but I can say from experience that losing one's hair cannot be the only reason for a relationship to go wrong. Maybe there is something else in the background.
I understand that these two things decrease your self-confidence, but if I were you, I would try not to seek correlation between them. Have you asked your wife about this?

I hope this was not too offensive or preaching.

Offline schro

• WORK SUCKS, I'M GOING GOLFING.
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2011, 07:28:56 AM »
Seems rather broad...can you be more specific?

Agonizing over what cannot be is an insult to what is.

Offline mudds

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2011, 07:49:08 AM »
Wow, that was fast...  Well this has been going on for about a year now with me feeling down about the hair thing and in more recent months my wife make comments about my bald head all the time.  i have spoke to her about it and she has made it very clear she does not like bald heads.  I do have hair on the sides which she wants me to grow with like a comb over effect.  No way on this earth....... i do shave the back and sides and she said i look like a thug.  thats the long and short of it, no pun inteded.

Offline Ravenangel

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2011, 07:54:06 AM »
Ohhh, dammit. I can understand why this made you hurt.

If I honestly love someone, I simply do not care if he has hair or not. (For example - my love has very short hair; of course, I would gladly see him with a totally shaved head, but since I love him, I do not want to force my preferences on him. Unconditional love, you see.)

Offline schro

• WORK SUCKS, I'M GOING GOLFING.
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2011, 11:33:53 AM »
Wow, that was fast...  Well this has been going on for about a year now with me feeling down about the hair thing and in more recent months my wife make comments about my bald head all the time.  i have spoke to her about it and she has made it very clear she does not like bald heads.  I do have hair on the sides which she wants me to grow with like a comb over effect.  No way on this earth....... i do shave the back and sides and she said i look like a thug.  thats the long and short of it, no pun inteded.

Dude, I feel your pain. The Lovely Mrs. Schro hated the sly look on me (I'm still not certain she's fully on board with it). Well, I'll be celebrating my 5 year anniversary of being sly this New Year's Day. I changed my look for ME. Along the way, I found out I experienced a major health benefit from shaving my head....complete relief from a painfully itchy scalp condition, sebhorreic dermatitis.

Although that is the main reason I have maintained a shaven dome, there are many others:

1) Confidence. I never thought I lacked confidence due to my hair (yes, I was sporting the "hairy toilet seat" like you), but I feel a lot better about myself now that I am sly. I especially like it during the summer months out by the pool, golf course, wherever.

2) Ease of Maintenance. One shave in the morning, and you're good to go. Worry free and out the door.

3) Cost. It's actually cheaper to be sly then mess with shampoo, conditioner, and haircuts. I did a (non-scientific) study on this and posted it somewhere here on SBG.

4) Combover???? WTF? OK, that's not a reason to go sly, but why would you (or your wife) ever consider it? Although your hair (or absence of it) is only a part of your appearance, I can name many handsome bald dudes....I struggle to think of one that looks good with a hairy toilet seat. Plus, the stigma of a combover is (in my opinion) too much to overcome.

Look, do whatever you think is best for YOU. I think you need to consider all options. But remember, there are many guys that are BBC (Bald By Choice), but no one is CBC (Combover By Choice).

Good Luck!
Schro......PROUDLY SLY!
« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 11:38:15 AM by schro »

Agonizing over what cannot be is an insult to what is.

Offline Paul the Headblader

• Sly Bureau
  • They see me rollin' they hatin'
    • My facebook page :)
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2011, 11:43:30 AM »
welcome to sbgs.
you can do nothing but to embrace the fact that you're goind bald.
be who you are, say what you feel, because those who matter don't mind, and those who mind don't matter

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2011, 11:47:34 AM »
Like Brother Schro my wife did not and does not care for the Sly "hair" style, but that being said she's learned to live with it.  I had to do it for me--for many reasons, I just couldn't continue on the balding look.  Wife has found her lady friends find it attractive on me--so that's put a sock in it about that part--nothing like a little friendly "interest" in the spouse to alter the attitude ;)
But not having to worry about the "do" getting it wet and having the carefully arranged and ever diminishing number of strands melt into a drowning rat look, being able to get in the pool or at the beach without the increasing "balding" look caused by wet and thinning hair, and, frankly, the pleasant addition to my life of compliments--you never ever get the comment "That combover looks good" or "Thinning hair becomes you"  or "Your head shape fits the receding hairline".  But you will get compliments on the Sly look, promise. 
I have to say it won't be pleasant, but just shave down, clean it up--and after 30 days, she'll be quiet most of the time about it.  But, you'll be rid of all the balding angst.  No angst--more confidence, more confidence, more compliments, more compliments--your wife will realize others like the look, and she's just going to have to get on the train. 

Offline nuts

• sly and bearded
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2011, 12:24:32 PM »
Well said SaintC.
Roger

Offline Ravenangel

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2011, 02:03:06 PM »
If you don't mind, let me tell my opinion on the "combover vs. sly" question.

Combover - in general - gives the impression of a Very Serious, But Slightly Boring Elderly Businessman.

(Thanx for the laugh, this >>you never ever get the comment "That combover looks good" or "Thinning hair becomes you"  or "Your head shape fits the receding hairline"<< was very funny! :}}}}})

Shaved head - in general - gives the impression of a cool and easy-going guy.

Offline DCdome

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2011, 02:23:14 PM »
You are in a difficult situation.  But saintc is speaking wisdom and from experience.  It'd be good to listen to him.

Offline Laser Man

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2011, 05:19:32 PM »
You are in a difficult situation.  You wife's behavior sounds a little cruel because you cannot control your hair loss and she's making fun of that plus saying she doesn't like bald heads.  A combover fools no one and will make you feel worse.  Saintc's advice is sound - listen to him!

Offline Acme

• Super Sly
  • Who's the bald guy?
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2011, 06:45:47 PM »
Welcome.

I'm not offering relationship advice, I'm offering YOU advice.  If you prefer your head shaved, you need to continue doing it for you.  Don't lose confidence for a second because you have thin hair and decided to make a change that you like.  I can't imagine hair making or breaking any relationship so you need to just feel good about yourself and evaluate everything else around you once you're feeling great about yourself.

Slynito

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2011, 02:51:15 PM »
Feeling good about your look and yourself is a confidence builder....welcome.

Offline Ravenangel

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2011, 01:27:13 PM »
Welcome.

I'm not offering relationship advice, I'm offering YOU advice.  If you prefer your head shaved, you need to continue doing it for you.  Don't lose confidence for a second because you have thin hair and decided to make a change that you like.  I can't imagine hair making or breaking any relationship so you need to just feel good about yourself and evaluate everything else around you once you're feeling great about yourself.

Yeeeaaaahhh, this is what I tried to say. :}

And, feeling great about yourself also makes you a better partner. You are more patient, it is easier to express your emotions if you are not constantly busy with your personal frustrations and inferiority complex.

Anyway... I still cannot imagine... let me explain.
I used to think I was crazy, just because I find shaved-headed guys extremely lovely and attractive. (My love is now used to the fact that the shorter his hair is, the more kisses he gets :}}}}}}}) But later, I had to see I was not alone. I saw other bald guys who had to "endure" the same "insult" from their girlfriends/wives, and they did not seem to be unhappy with it :}

Enter your email address: