Author Topic: What razor do you use?  (Read 623994 times)

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
What razor do you use?
« on: July 28, 2006, 12:47:02 AM »
I talk to a lot of guys who shave their head.  It seems that it's becoming a more popular thing to do now, or I'm just noticing it more.  Anyways, I usually ask what razor they use to shave their head.

The number one answer I get is...you guessed it...the Mach 3.

Now, I don't use the Mach 3.  In fact, I don't even use a straight razor.  Instead, I use a Remington!  That's right...I use an electric razor!  It's the only way to go for me.  I get just as smooth of a shave as using a Mach 3, but without the cuts and razor burn.  Plus, the overall cost is much cheaper in the long run.

Tell us, what do you use?

People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline Trev

• Learning the way of Sly
Re: What razor do you use?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2006, 03:28:45 PM »
I've been shaving my head for about 12 years and I've never used anything other than an old school "safety razor".  You don't see many of these around now, but my dad has used one forever and it is the type of razor I learned to shave with.  It is used with a double edged razor blade and it provides a very smooth shave.  It is also probably more economical than using disposable razors.  When you have a moment check out some cool safety razors at: http://www.theartofshaving.com/taos/safety.php

Offline alotaforehead

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2006, 02:14:10 PM »
Mach 3...in the shower...if you're getting razor burn the razor is dull, or you aren't using enough shaving gel or you keep shaving over the same area over and over....don't go against the grain...go with it!!  Works for me

Offline MississippiRed

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2006, 01:47:31 PM »
What's good fellas........I use the Gillette Custom Plus disposable......it's the one with the little gel strip at top  and I've been shaving my melon since 1990....Thanks for the site Ty...

MississippiRed

Offline andy

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2006, 01:47:51 PM »
I use the Mach 3 as well, but oddly enough I find that I have less skin irritation when I'm using a blade that's slightly dulled, one that's been used a couple times already.  I use a gel shaving cream and usually shave after I've gone for a run or something (that is, after I've worked up a sweat.  Not sure if that's good or not, but that's just my routine. Run->shave->shower).  Anyway, I find going with the grain gets the bulk of the hairs, but if I want to get right down to the skin I need to go against the grain.  When it gets down to that I tend to take very short strokes and rinse the blade with hot water between each one.  Somewhat time consuming, but worth the effort, I think. 

How often do you guys shave?  I usually go 4 to 7 days between shaves.

Offline MississippiRed

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2006, 06:07:33 PM »
What's up Andy...4 to 7 days man I wish.........I shave every 2nd or 3rd day almost never more than that.......and yes for the areas where going with the grain doesn't work I definitely go against the grain.......but at this point my head is used to it........this is what I do.......first I wash my head with water as hot as I can stand and soap or shampoo it doesn't seem to make a difference  then while my head is still wet I put on the shaving cream and get it done.....right after that I wash my scalp again with the hot water and soap but after this I dry it completely and then rub alcohol over my whole scalp and let the alcohol dry on it's own at that point I put on coconut oil ......I've been doing it like that for a long time now and rarely if ever get razor bumps.......the best shave I get is with new razors ......as such I only use razors maybe 3 times ......

MississippiRed

Offline andy

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2006, 12:59:05 PM »
Hey Red... That's a great description of your routine!  I'll have to try it out (if I can remember all the steps) :-)

Offline whovean

• Sly Guy in Training
    • Its my Life
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2006, 02:50:21 AM »
The Gillette Fusion rocks
with a bit of head lube
live bald and prosper

Offline happyharry

• Team Sly
  • Super Sly
  • bald, bold and beautiful
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2006, 11:53:47 PM »
I mostly use Wilkinson Extreme3 (Schick in N. America) - a single-use tripple blade razor. It does a great job.
I sometimes also use Wilkinson Quattro razors and blades. They give you an unbelievably close shave, but are on
the expensive side, thus I prefer the Extreme3...
« Last Edit: August 28, 2006, 11:57:01 PM by happyharry »
Who loves ya, baby?

Offline fcb2001

• 2010 FIFA World Cup South Africa (11 June to 11 July 2010)
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Bald for Life
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2006, 01:16:49 PM »
gillete fusion with the head lube as well

gearhedguy

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2006, 02:35:47 PM »
I've been shaving my head for about 10 years now and no matter what I have tried hands down the Mach 3 gives me the closest, smoothest shave. . . seems to curve to the shape of your head while you shave. And these razors last a really long time, too. I also use a shave gel product. But yup, Mach 3 is for me!

Offline chalatso

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2006, 06:28:57 PM »
Hi!
I'm new here; only been a bald'un for a few months now. It's a choice/concealment thing for me.

Anyhow, I'm surprised nobody's mentioned the HeadBlade! I tried one for the first time about a month ago, and I'm totally sold, plus thay've got a really good have cream.

http://www.headblade.com

I'm not affiliated with them, I just like their product.

Chuck

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2006, 07:05:07 PM »
Welcome Chuck!!

I'm curious, how often do you have to replace your blades when using the headblade?  I've been thinking about trying it out.

Anyhow, I'm surprised nobody's mentioned the HeadBlade! I tried one for the first time about a month ago, and I'm totally sold, plus thay've got a really good have cream.

http://www.headblade.com
Chuck

People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline jsthuggy

« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2006, 03:46:32 AM »
I use the headblade too and I repace the blade after using it about seven times. Thats just a preference I am sure since you dont have to put much pressure you can go more times without changing the blade.

Welcome Chuck!!

I'm curious, how often do you have to replace your blades when using the headblade?  I've been thinking about trying it out.

Offline chalatso

« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2006, 09:00:37 AM »
Well, I bought the headblade a little over a month ago, I guess, and I bought a pack of blades. I've used two blades out of the pack, and I shave about three times a week... (great... a math problem)

I like the atra blades, though...

Enter your email address: