Author Topic: Abrasion on scalp, how to heal quick/ conceal  (Read 4968 times)

Offline Baldhead_slick

• Learning the way of Sly
Abrasion on scalp, how to heal quick/ conceal
« on: October 30, 2017, 09:54:03 AM »
I recently had an incident at work where I scraped a decent chunk of skin off the front of my head on a piece of sheet metal. Looks horrible.  I just started seeing a woman who things have been going great with, now I'm embarrassed as all hell. Any tips on how to conceal this? Or at the least to help the healing process go by quicker?

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
Re: Abrasion on scalp, how to heal quick/ conceal
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2017, 12:31:40 PM »
Ouch! There's probably not much you can do to conceal it. You could use a bandage, but that's going to draw attention to your scalp as well.  I wouldn't worry about it too much in regards to the lady. It will give you a story to share with her.

In regards to healing, I recommend Neosporin or something similar. Make sure you keep it clean.  You'll probably want to wear a bandage at work.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline Magoo

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2017, 08:14:12 AM »
Most of us have damaged our heads at one time . My dermatologist usually recommends Aquaphor healing ointment for any surgeries I’ve had. Welcome to the forum.
If only all men lived by the "Golden Rule ."

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2017, 02:55:27 PM »
@Magoo great call on the aquaphor! That also works well.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline Nuttinut

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2017, 10:33:20 PM »
All your head is normal. Exclude your red.

Offline Semi-Sly

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2017, 10:40:43 PM »
Same thing happened to me only lower, right in the middle of  where my hairline used to be. And did it bleed!!!!!!

I ran to a friend of mine who is a VERY EXPENSIVE plastic surgeon on Chicago's North Shore.  He said good thing that I did not go to the emergency room because they would have stitched it and it would show forever.  He said to keep it clean and use a VERY LIGHT coating of Aquaphor on it to keep it moist as it heals so thatit does not develope a thick hard scab.  He said DO NOT use the antibiotic ointments or any harsh cleaners - not even hydrogen peroxide.
He said that it would take some time to heal this way but that it would grow gradually smaller each day instead of forming a hard scab to "pull"  the edges of the skin tightly together.  But, he said that the longer it took the better it would look in the end.

Even though the chunk of skin I lost was deeper than yours he was right.  It looks great now.  Only I even know where the injury was.

Use a light coat of aquaphor.  Use a band aid only to keep the dirt out - not tightly down on the wound.  when you are not in a dirty environment you don't even need the band aid.

Offline Baldhead_slick

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2017, 08:09:04 AM »
Thanks man, I have been using Manuka honey and silicone gel sheets which has been helping.  Been a little over a month now and scar has faded but is still very visible when I'm in good light. How long did it take yours to heal? Guess I've just gotta be patient.

Same thing happened to me only lower, right in the middle of  where my hairline used to be. And did it bleed!!!!!!

I ran to a friend of mine who is a VERY EXPENSIVE plastic surgeon on Chicago's North Shore.  He said good thing that I did not go to the emergency room because they would have stitched it and it would show forever.  He said to keep it clean and use a VERY LIGHT coating of Aquaphor on it to keep it moist as it heals so thatit does not develope a thick hard scab.  He said DO NOT use the antibiotic ointments or any harsh cleaners - not even hydrogen peroxide.
He said that it would take some time to heal this way but that it would grow gradually smaller each day instead of forming a hard scab to "pull"  the edges of the skin tightly together.  But, he said that the longer it took the better it would look in the end.

Even though the chunk of skin I lost was deeper than yours he was right.  It looks great now.  Only I even know where the injury was.

Use a light coat of aquaphor.  Use a band aid only to keep the dirt out - not tightly down on the wound.  when you are not in a dirty environment you don't even need the band aid.

Offline Semi-Sly

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2017, 08:45:03 PM »
In good light you could see myscar for 5 to 6 months - but it didn't look " bad" after just 5 or 6 weeks.  I was just grateful that, even though it took time, and even though I can still tell where it was; for the most part it healed almost imperceptably. 

So just be patient.  It will slowly keep getting better and better and the day will come when even you do not notice it anymore.