Author Topic: Newbie  (Read 2822 times)

Offline GoingBald601

• Learning the way of Sly
« on: October 24, 2021, 09:43:45 PM »
Hi all,

So my journey with losing my hair didn't start till around 40.  I'm 56.  If I remember correctly 40 was like a light switch.  I do remember prior to that I used to have hair come out on my brush more than normal but it grew back until 40.  My dad was going bald and when he died years ago he had "horseshoe hair" that was gray, so I should have known it would happen to me as I take after him physically.

My hair thinned out up the middle & over the crown and then the sides started going gray just like my dad.  That look really bothered me because I think it makes me look old.  Fixing it would be expensive if its even possible...if I was able to get hair growing thicker up top then its going to be gray anyway and I'd have to get involved in hair coloring.  More $$$.

I had been getting it trimmed about every 4-6 weeks using a #3 clipper.  I did have thick hair in the back but really couldn't do much more with the style overall.  There just wasn't enough up top to work with.  Couldn't have a comb-over even if I wanted to....not enough hair to comb over!

I took the hair off using the  and then my electric razor.  I don't have facial hair.  I don't mind razor stubble for a day or two though but I'm not a fan of facial hair more than that.  I tried growing a mustache back in college when I had lots of hair and it just didn't look that good on me.  I had to realize that I'm never going to be Tom Selleck (who was big on tv at the time!)

If asked what my main motivation was, I think I'd say that I don't want to look old.  My dad was only 54 but IMO looked older.  When I looked at myself in the mirror I felt like I looked "old".  I'm trying to change jobs/careers and I know I'm going to face age discrimination so looking old is not going to help.  Also looking old is not going to help in dating.  I'm single and need to find someone for me....old-looking guys are not that attractive to younger (40s maybe) women.  Well, unless I had a billion dollars LOL.

I'm only a week in and so still trying to decide how I like it.

Another newbie question:  what does "sly" mean?  Why is it called Sly Bald Guys?
« Last Edit: October 24, 2021, 10:13:25 PM by GoingBald601 »

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
Re: Newbie
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2021, 05:44:06 AM »
Welcome to the group! Congratulations on making a great decision and choosing to wear an awesome style.

And yes, I believe a shaved head on older guys takes years off of your looks. Over time, once you get used to your new haircut, you'll love it.
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline slybeard

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2021, 07:39:35 AM »
Welcome to the forum.  I started loosing my hair in my later 40's, so not much different that you.  I started shaving around 49 and I am now 59.  At the time I shaved, my hair was thinning, but no so much that others noticed.  But I had made up my mind many years earlier the I would rather shave than be partially bald, and that I would shave at the first signs of thinning.  So technically I started out as BBC (bald by choice).  My male pattern baldness progress quickly, and in just a few years, I had little hair remaining on top.

I am a blade shaver myself and have never been really satisfied with the closeness of an electric.  I suggest you try it some time.  Just use a good quality razor and shave cream.

You mentioned looking old.  The funny thing is, when I was in my 40's with a full head of gray and white hair, and a white goatee, I would frequently be offered a "senior citizens" discount at restaurants. Now that I have a shaved head and large beard (that I keep dyed), I am never offered the discount.

As the the origins for "sly" I do not know exactly, but I seem to remember there was a thread about it in the early years of the forum.

Another thing is, before shaving my head, I was never really comfortable with my appearance.  I never liked my hairstyle, my hair was rather unruly.  My facial hair was weak and thin, so a full beard was not working.  I am relatively short, and was overweight.  My facial hair improved through my 40's and by the time I shaved my head a full beard was working.  The beard and the shaved head was enough to motivate me to get back to the gym.  While I am still overweight, I have more muscle mass and less body fat now.  So through my 50's I have had more confidence in my appearance than I ever had before.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2021, 07:46:20 AM by slybeard »
SlyBeard

Offline GoingBald601

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2021, 06:47:15 PM »
You mentioned looking old.  The funny thing is, when I was in my 40's with a full head of gray and white hair, and a white goatee, I would frequently be offered a "senior citizens" discount at restaurants. Now that I have a shaved head and large beard (that I keep dyed), I am never offered the discount.

Yes, I agree that gray/white does make a guy (even a girl too) look older.  Going bald + gray together, definitely an old look.  In the last picture I have of my parents, my mom's hair was going gray and later after dad died she started with color getting back to the brunette that she was as a young girl and she stayed with it til she died at 96.  Well, her color was fading a bit at the end because she was going longer between coloring due to health and covid lockdowns.  When she was in her early to mid 90s with her dark hair everyone was shocked when she told them how old she was.  I'd say the color took 20 years off her look, easily.

And I was even offered a senior discount not long ago. 

Offline clint902

• Super Sly
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2021, 06:42:16 AM »
Speaking of discounts, the local doughnut place offers a discount to veterans.  Ok, I'll just say it.  They give all veterans a free doughnut?  Well, I don't know what to say about that but I take it anyway.  A free dozen doughnuts, maybe but just one?  I don't know what they were thinking by offering a free doughnut to vets but free is free even though it's a bit insulting.  Geez, four years of service gets me a free doughnut.  Now that's worth four years of my life!

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2021, 10:57:52 AM »

Another newbie question:  what does "sly" mean?  Why is it called Sly Bald Guys?

Welcome to SBG!

I used the term Sly because one of the meanings is to be "rogue" or go "against the grain" and back when I started the site in 2006 it was still an uncommon thing for men to shave their head.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2021, 10:54:00 AM »
Welcome to the group!
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Enter your email address: