Author Topic: Just turned 30 - Looking to make a change, hairline not what it used to be  (Read 7953 times)

Offline MisterAdversity

• Learning the way of Sly
Newbie here, read alot of posts and must say I feel comfortable knowing i am not the only one!

Just turned 30 and after watching a friend go through the whole process years earlier (thinning, toupee, and finally shave) it was an embarrassing adventure and i wasn't even going through it that bad yet -

Long story short now i am at that point of which direction should i go - currently holding on to the younger hair cut but have the classic M shape (windows peak) in the front and noticing every day the rear patch going further away. Sides and back very thick and full making me almost get away with it all, except recently i just got the comb over comment from a very sarcastic friend that put me over the edge -

Never had a buzz cut or shaved head in my life so i am very nervous about even buzzing it down, with that being said i was also in an accident when i was younger which left me with a slightly Evandar Holyfield right ear disfigurement. So suffice to say this is my biggest nightmare -

On the flip side i have never even with the accident had any problems with the ladies thank go and am actually engaged to a very beautiful woman for a 2012 wedding date!

My annoyances are i know my hair in the straight sun looks terrible esp from the back and the comments are flowing more and more lately esp being young looking

I want to start slow, maybe buzz in the summer, but still on the fence, worried i may look sick or the fit wont be for me - any opinions or suggestions would be appreciated -  ;D
« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 06:45:48 PM by MisterAdversity »

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
If you're getting the combover comment -- sarcastic or not -- then it's time to do something.  Buzz it down to a #2.  That certainly won't make you look sick.   It may take a while for you to adjust to the new look but it will almost certainly be an improvement.  When you get to the point where you feel comfortable with a #2, try going down to a #1.  Once you get down to shorter than #1 you're pretty close to being completely bald, so you may want to consider shaving at that point.  Once you get used to wearing your hair that short, it isn't a big deal to shave because it will only take a few days to grow back to its previous length.

Offline MisterAdversity

Thanks for the advice, will prob take the plunge this summer, just the denial is so powerful since i do have rather thick hair (if it wasn't for the widows peak I prob would be able to get away with it)

I am just worried it will promote the baldness even more with a buzz, ...  :-\

Offline BriansSlyIn(716)

• Sly Jr.
  • 5 years and still Sly !!!!
JUST FRIGGIN SHAVE IT ALREADY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!You'll feel better instantly.Trust me. :)

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
have the classic M shape (windows peak) in the front and noticing every day the rear patch going further away. Sides and back very thick and full making me almost get away with it all, except recently i just got the comb over comment from a very sarcastic friend that put me over the edge -
Sides and back will remain very thick and full--it's the "horseshoe" you read about so much on the site.  That "rear patch" the vertex will continue to thin.  Unfortunately, and I speak from experience, it is very easy to slide from where you're at right now into the combover--I did.  Getting control of this can bring on much the same feeling as the first time you jumped off the diving board--particularly the high one.  And like that experience once you've done it--i.e. trying the buzz--it's not bad at all.  I'm sorry to say that from what you've posted it sounds like you will be bald--and whether you get there by balding slow--hair by hair enduring death by a thousand cuts--or just taking it all off and being bald is your choice.  Most guys here have said over and over again that their biggest regret is not doing it sooner.  Stick around, read the experiences and be assured being bald isn't a bad thing at all, but balding, yes--that's the pits.  But, I say it again, it's your choice how you handle it, it's not your choice whether you have the genetic makeup to be bald and that includes the thick hair front and back that's called the horseshoe--or worse, the hairy toilet seat!

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility

I am just worried it will promote the baldness even more with a buzz, ...  :-\

Honestly, it probably will.  It's bound to reveal more scalp but that's something you're going to have to address eventually.  The natural tendency is to try and hang onto your hair for as long as possible, but once you're aware that it's not looking too good anymore, it's really best to just get rid of it.  I know it's difficult and it requires a  leap of faith, but read through the pages of this site and you'll find that the most commonly recurring theme is "I wish I'd done this sooner."

Offline MisterAdversity

Just a pic to show whats up -
This is overall just a bad pic but you get the idea of the widows peak -

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
It certainly looks like the beginings of MPB, but you've got time and options.  Try a buzz, try it sly--you appear to be on your way to bald, but you can avoid balding. 

marty22

try a buzz but Im not sure you are ready for us as of yet.

Offline Johannes

• Sly
  • Straight Razor Shaver
it's time for a headshave
Nothing better than one sharp blade

Offline Arty Chris

• Sly
If it helps, it took me about 4 yrs to get enough balls to shave it off... I guess I had to wait for the right time for me... but I'm so pleased that I did! It feels so much better now!

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
It doesn't look bad at all in that photo.  I don't think you need to shave it yet, unless you've lost a lot of hair in the back.  Either way, a buzz cut for the summer will help you get used to having shorter hair and make the transition easier.

Offline MisterAdversity

Thanks guys for the support!
Actually yeah the front i think not that bad, although i always get the widows peak comment,  but unfortunately the crown in the rear has gotten worse, scalp seen more than hair ... been a hat guy (which thank god i look great in) been doing it even before the hair issues .. but i feel trapped with that hat thing at this point and want to finally get off that train ... thats why the i wanted the advice to begin with, i know others out there know that feeling ...

prob will do the buzz this summer to start the process and see what its like, will post pics ...more towards end of June (when my current job breaks for summer and i go into another position)

So what does everyone think for buzz #2? is that the fuzz look or the really tapered look?

Offline chgobuzzbald

• Super Sly
  • No more HT scars
Try the Phillips Head Groomer, sold everywhere in the US. (like Taregt etc). It has a great system of dialing the length of the buzz and easy to do yourself as it has a clipper that turns 180 degrees. The number 3 setting is about half an inch of hair, number 2 maybe 3/8 and number 1 maybe about 1/8 of an inch. Thats the shortest it will cut. I use it when I want some hair. Once a week keeps it tot hat lendgth. Why pay a barber to do that ? Plus it is fun, you cant mess it up. You can also use the other numbers for a longer cut. Start with the 4 0r 5 setting and see how you like it.

Now that it s warm in Chicago today I saw more guys either tightly buzzed or head shaved than I did guys with substantial amounts of hair. One was not even balding, just buzzed down to a clipper shave (bare clipper, no guard) or maybe a 2 day old razor shave. It is a popular look and one you dont have to pay for. You will look great, there is no downside with so many other guys doing it. Try it Friday for the long holiday  weekend next week.

Offline K J

• Sly Jr.
Hi MisterAdversity, KJ here

Just save it offyour look gratet.

KJ

Enter your email address: