Author Topic: Men are afraid of going bald  (Read 2999 times)

Offline Miller1989

• Sly
Men are afraid of going bald
« on: December 06, 2018, 01:27:27 PM »
I recently came across an online survey about hair loss. It had a poll, and 92% said they would be devastated to lose their hair, while just 8% said it wouldn't really bother them. This surprised me, with all the guys that shave their heads today. Thoughts?

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
Re: Men are afraid of going bald
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2018, 01:54:29 PM »
Depends on who they were asking. Maybe younger guys with a full head of hair?

Just a couple years before I shaved, I was in a very stressful job, and I noticed my hair thinning. I had alot of hair in the shower drain. I was pretty upset, and really worried. When I quit the job and made other life changes, after several months, my hair mostly came back. That's when I decided to give myself a buzzcut. As I said before, hated the buzzcut and kept going shorter until I got out the razor and shaved my head.

I believe it you see guys with shaved heads and think it looks good, you are a candidate to join the sly club. If you're thinning and absolutely dread going bald, and think shaved heads look terrible, it's probably not for you.
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline slybeard

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2018, 02:32:41 PM »
Most people fear change, but normally realize the fear was unfounded once the event/change actually happens.
SlyBeard

Offline Miller1989

• Sly
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2018, 03:19:30 PM »
I agree about the fear of change part. But I have had guys tell me "It looks cool on you, but I could never do it."

Offline Barbero Pelón

• Super Sly
  • If doesn't shine,you're not really BALD.
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2018, 06:47:28 PM »
You need to have huge balls to be bald.

Offline DoberDaddy

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2018, 08:04:40 AM »
I NEVER depend on "polls"... no one ever ask me, sh*t!

Offline slybeard

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2018, 08:31:20 AM »
I agree about the fear of change part. But I have had guys tell me "It looks cool on you, but I could never do it."

That is fear when guys say that.  They like the look, but are afraid to try it.

I spent most of my life the same way.  When I had hair, I always saw cool hairstyles I wanted to try, but fear kept me with the cam boring hairstyle I had as a child.  I did try a flattop a few times, but that was the extent of it.  Now that I am older, I realize I just wasted a lot of mental energy living in fear of how I would be perceived.
SlyBeard

Offline chrisphilly123

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2018, 12:48:43 PM »
i get that too.

Offline Miller1989

• Sly
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2018, 07:17:16 PM »
I always tell guys that it's just hair! It's not like you're losing your nuts or something important. With all the things that can go wrong in life, you wouldn't think so many guys would be scared of becoming bald.

Offline Laser Man

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2018, 01:09:44 PM »
Think of how many advertisements there are for things like Propecia, Romaine, Hair club for Men, etc.  All of them reinforce the idea that losing your hair is really a terrible thing, akin to some life-threatening disease.  No wonder men are afraid of going bald.

At work a couple years ago, we had to do online training about what to do if there was an active shooter in the building.  A part of the training was to watch a video and before it even came on, I could guess what the active shooter would look like - and I was right: muscular bald guy in a black t-shirt and black jeans.  I don't there is any statistically significant correlation between baldness and violent behavior, yet this video as well as TV and movies reinforce the stereotype.

Offline artudo123

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2018, 04:52:52 PM »
I'm happy to be bald by choice, I don't know how I would feel if I had no choice. As a gay bald man who is attracted to other bald men, I love the stubble and love men who also choose to shave their heads. But hey bald is bald and I'll take a date with a bald man any day!

Offline bennett11

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2018, 05:11:31 AM »
I suspect polled young guys, late teens or early 20's.  Thinning or baldy is rare at that age and also guys who shave heads.  balding is of course common in aging and now shaving,   I am one who at the young age wanted  balding,