Author Topic: On the fence.  (Read 7862 times)

Offline TomF

• Learning the way of Sly
On the fence.
« on: October 06, 2018, 10:56:04 PM »
Over the last few years I typically go for a faux hawk haircut. I alternate between that and a buzzcut.
Just to see how it would look, three years ago, I took out the razor and went sly. I only kept it for a week. During that week I had several people ask me why I shaved my head. Lots of negative feedback. They were especially curious because I have/had a full head of hair. Last year I grew out my faux hawk and went with slicked back look with a side part. My barber took that photo. Two months ago I got so annoyed with all the time it took to maintain that hairstyle, I reverted back to a faux hawk. Then one week later, I got annoyed with how obvious of my hairless around my temples, that I pulled out my clippers, and now I am sporting a #1 buzzcut. Last week I got a lot of shocked comments when I went from the faux hawk to a #1 buzzcut. A coworker, who is sly himself, suggested to me that I should just pull out the razor and join the club. Idk if I am ready to take the plunge. I am worried about the prospective negative feedback about the sly look.

Offline Barbero Pelón

• Super Sly
  • If doesn't shine,you're not really BALD.
Re: On the fence.
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2018, 03:41:05 AM »
Nothing to be worry about.
I think that you can pull it off the bald look very well, Join to the brotherhood (again)💪.

Give it a try for more than a week and you'll see that the comments will stop (negatives or not) ;)

I'm bald by choice btw.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2018, 05:23:49 AM by Tony Dadá »

Offline Sciguy68

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2018, 04:18:17 AM »
I am bald by choice too. I love the look and feel of a smooth head. I really don't care what people think. It's my head and I like the way I look. That's all that matters. Try it out for 30 days and people will stop commenting and they will get used to it too. It's a drastic change and people will have to get used to you looking smooth.

Offline bennett11

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2018, 05:23:05 AM »
I believe you look better with short buzz.  close to been shaved,   i would go for it.  remember others need to comment  on the change but soon your new look is you.

Offline Dragon

• Super Sly
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2018, 06:40:18 AM »
I think the sly look suits you.  The barber photo is also a good look but if it’s too much to maintain then go sly.  The faux hawk with your  hairline draws everythung upwards.  Remember it’s your head so others comments should not matter and will soon stop anyway.  You rock the look, so if you like it keep it.

Offline chgobuzzbald

• Super Sly
  • No more HT scars
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2018, 11:59:29 PM »
Since you have a sly co-worker who encourages and supports you, just do it, ask for his encouragement and stay sly for 30 days this time, shave and enjoy.

Offline Miller1989

• Sly
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2018, 07:32:45 AM »
Since you have a #1 already, there's really no reason to be nervous: you have hardly any hair to part with anyway! Lots of people won't even notice if you shave off the rest. The main difference will be the feel.

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2018, 08:08:53 AM »
Like Sciguy said, do what YOU want. You'll never know if you like it until you try it.

I think you will look good shaved, and you won't believe the feel. Just commit to 30 days. People only comment for a short time, then they forget about it.
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline slybeard

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2018, 12:08:54 PM »
You have already gotten the comments for going with the #1 buzz.  So now is the time to go sly.

BTW - you two haircut photos you posted look good on you as well.  But it is your decision.  I never wanted to have a partially bald head and told myself I would shave at the first signs of thinning.  So I did.  My hair was so thick, no one other than myself noticed the thinning, so I considered myself BBC.  Now 7 years later, I have very little hair on top to shave.  The comments stopped after a few days, the sly stayed and is now permanent.
SlyBeard

Offline Semi-Sly

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2018, 11:33:01 PM »
 Dude, go for it!  you’re number one already you’ll kick yourself in the ass if you don’t pull up the razor for 30 days !

And if you have a shaving buddy at work it’ll be fun

Offline chrisphilly123

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2018, 12:59:44 PM »
Over the last few years I typically go for a faux hawk haircut. I alternate between that and a buzzcut.
Just to see how it would look, three years ago, I took out the razor and went sly. I only kept it for a week. During that week I had several people ask me why I shaved my head. Lots of negative feedback. They were especially curious because I have/had a full head of hair. Last year I grew out my faux hawk and went with slicked back look with a side part. My barber took that photo. Two months ago I got so annoyed with all the time it took to maintain that hairstyle, I reverted back to a faux hawk. Then one week later, I got annoyed with how obvious of my hairless around my temples, that I pulled out my clippers, and now I am sporting a #1 buzzcut. Last week I got a lot of shocked comments when I went from the faux hawk to a #1 buzzcut. A coworker, who is sly himself, suggested to me that I should just pull out the razor and join the club. Idk if I am ready to take the plunge. I am worried about the prospective negative feedback about the sly look.

it's exhilarating once it's all shaved off and after your acquaintances are used to see you sly. it's like the ultimate FU to thinning bad hair, and dealing with haircuts, etc. i went bald young and glad I got it over with. best to you.

Offline TomF

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2018, 05:49:03 PM »
Thanks for the encouragement. Since I first posted, I have kept a #1 or a #0.5 buzz cut. Maintaining it every 3 or 4 days. This afternoon, I thought to myself, it time to go all in, I turned my car around and drove to a nearby barbershop. When I came home form the barber I went over everything with a 6 blade razor. Now that I am sly I have to say, that I am scared to look at myself in the mirror. So, that makes me nervous with what others will say. As of now, I already feel like growing it back out to a #1 buzz. But, I keep thinking about the 30 day challenge and maybe I need to stick it out, even though I currently do not like it.
Photo of #0.5, two photos of being sly.

Offline Barbero Pelón

• Super Sly
  • If doesn't shine,you're not really BALD.
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2018, 07:31:23 PM »
Thanks for the encouragement. Since I first posted, I have kept a #1 or a #0.5 buzz cut. Maintaining it every 3 or 4 days. This afternoon, I thought to myself, it time to go all in, I turned my car around and drove to a nearby barbershop. When I came home form the barber I went over everything with a 6 blade razor. Now that I am sly I have to say, that I am scared to look at myself in the mirror. So, that makes me nervous with what others will say. As of now, I already feel like growing it back out to a #1 buzz. But, I keep thinking about the 30 day challenge and maybe I need to stick it out, even though I currently do not like it.
Photo of #0.5, two photos of being sly.

Looks good man,but you definitely need to try it with beard,really helps.

Did you like the feeling? The scalp is very sensitive once you shave
« Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 08:15:52 AM by Tony Dadá »

Offline slybeard

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2018, 07:43:35 PM »
If you have been keeping the buzz tight, it is likely no one will even give it a second thought.  It looks good.  Give it the 30 day trial.
SlyBeard

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2018, 09:21:53 PM »
You’ll be surprised at how little reaction you will get.  What you do get will be positive.  Thr first few minutes are the worst and then everything will be fine and you will wonder what you were worried about.  You look great.