Author Topic: Finding the courage to stay bald  (Read 8540 times)

Offline slickjack

• Sly Jr.
  • Day 1
Finding the courage to stay bald
« on: September 16, 2018, 01:18:48 AM »
Hey guys,

So I shaved my head again a few days ago for the second time this year.  I shaved first in February and posted some photos here to much support from slybaldguys which I really appreciated.  But I let my hair grow back after just a week or so of being shaved smooth, a bit nervous about returning to work with a bald head.  Crazy I know for a 40 something guy.  But it is what it is.

Anyway, I've shaved again while on holiday a few days ago and love it. I'm enjoying shaving every day with either a Mach III or an Andis foil shaver getting totally smooth.  My beard is a bit longer/fuller than earlier in the year which I think works well too.  But I'm still not sure if I have the courage to stay bald when returning to work etc. Any advice or thoughts would be really helpful. I feel a bit of a fraud on this site in a way as I'm bald by choice.  I know others grapple much more with hair loss which they don't want and have to come to terms with.  I want to shave but somehow can't stick with it for fear of others judging.

If I can get the courage to stay bald, any advice on beard style/shape that would work for me. 

Thanks guys.  Pictures of the latest shave - before and after are attached

Offline bennett11

• Ultimate Sly Guy
Re: Finding the courage to stay bald
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2018, 05:17:05 AM »
Others are sort of duty bound to make a comment, but many will admire you for taking the plunge to go smooth wishing the had the courage to do so.  Looks good, continue and your self confidence will grow.  actually at your age smooth head is rather common. 

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2018, 05:57:51 AM »
First, you look awesome with a shaved head. Second, there are alot of BBC guys here, you are welcome here.

I was very concerned about the reactions after I suddenly shaved off a full head of hair. Surprisingly, almost all comments were positive. You might get a few reactions, but after a few days everyone will just accept your new look.

If you like having a shaved head, own it with confidence. You look great. It's a big change so it will take time to get used to it. Give it 30 days, and see how you feel.
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline Dragon

• Super Sly
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2018, 07:18:33 AM »
you look great and the beard is fine as it is.  dont worry about everyone else, its how you feel that is important. If you hold out you will fine you my be the talk of your work for a day, but thats it they will then move on to something else.

Offline Magoo

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2018, 10:35:41 AM »
You look real good with new beard and head shave. I mean good !! As far as getting the courage to keep it , just takes time , no easy method we all feel self conscious at first. With time you won’t give it a second thought. Just hang in there , I shaved and let it grow many times.
If only all men lived by the "Golden Rule ."

Offline nuts

• sly and bearded
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2018, 04:04:51 PM »
Looks good.  As reddog says when you go back to work 'own the look with confidence' and either people will applaud you or more likely they won't even comment.  Good luck and keep up the journey.
Roger

Offline slybeard

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2018, 08:42:20 PM »
I was in your shoes a few years ago.  I really want to be BBC, but feared going to work with a shaved head.  Eventually I did.  Sure, I got a few comment, but not nearly as I expected.  Most people just don't care.  In fact, it really was a relief.  So if you want it, do it.  After a few days the fear is over.  Stick with it for 30 days and you are set.

As to the facial hair, I am partial to a full beard with a shaved head.  I prefer the length to be a little longer as your current beard at a minimum, although a lot of guys like just having stubble.  So I suggest you experiment with it, let it gain length.  Take plenty of photos and when you think it is too long and want to trim, you will have photos at various length to help you decide what length you like best.
SlyBeard

Offline chrisphilly123

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2018, 10:34:23 PM »
Hey guys,

So I shaved my head again a few days ago for the second time this year.  I shaved first in February and posted some photos here to much support from slybaldguys which I really appreciated.  But I let my hair grow back after just a week or so of being shaved smooth, a bit nervous about returning to work with a bald head.  Crazy I know for a 40 something guy.  But it is what it is.

Anyway, I've shaved again while on holiday a few days ago and love it. I'm enjoying shaving every day with either a Mach III or an Andis foil shaver getting totally smooth.  My beard is a bit longer/fuller than earlier in the year which I think works well too.  But I'm still not sure if I have the courage to stay bald when returning to work etc. Any advice or thoughts would be really helpful. I feel a bit of a fraud on this site in a way as I'm bald by choice.  I know others grapple much more with hair loss which they don't want and have to come to terms with.  I want to shave but somehow can't stick with it for fear of others judging.

If I can get the courage to stay bald, any advice on beard style/shape that would work for me. 

Thanks guys.  Pictures of the latest shave - before and after are attached
i think shaved is a strong look for you. facial hair right now is a nice balance. keep it as it is.

as far as sticking with it, you do have a LOT of hair, so you make a strong statement that this is your choice. i think that in itself is a FU to anyone that gives you grief. I think if you stick with it for 30-60-90+ days, you'll define yourself as a dude with no hair, like a zillion others. people will forget the you with hair.

if you chicken out, you could always #1 buzz or no-guard buzz, that would be a great compromise.

for the record, you have more hair at 40 than i did as a teen!  LOL

Offline Semi-Sly

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2018, 10:54:02 PM »
First of all; if you think that everyone else in the world is looking at you, or judging your or thinking of you, etc.; you really have a problem with self-absorbition, (i.e. "Pride").  Peoplke in general don't give a rat's ass about you or me.  They are all caught up in the termoil of their own lives.

Second, if there are a few people who even notice you or even fewer that make their "style opinions" known to you  --- Well F__K what other people at work think!  Why the hell are you giving anyone free rent inside your head anyway?

You have to do what makes you FEEL good.  Period. 

I like to change up between BBC for about 6 to 8u months and then grow some hair for 6 to 8 months and try out new styles, (hard parts, flattops, high and tights, fades, bald fades, even a Southside Fade now and again).  I like having hair and I look better with it but I FEEL better with a clean shaven head!!!  This year I have kept the shaved head for none months already!

You look damn good with a smooth shave and the well trimmed facial hair you show in your photos.  If you ever do try growing your hair again, why not try some different hairstyles.  (Never "settle" for a Ho Hum haircut and never "settle" for someone else's choice of what your personal style should be.

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2018, 06:51:19 PM »
I think it looks good both ways. Nothing wrong with growing your hair back and then shaving it again as long as you have the ability to do so.
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline Miller1989

• Sly
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2018, 02:29:41 PM »
I know it can be intimidating, but don't sweat it! I think you'll be surprised how many people like it and compliment you on it. And a clean-shaven head is acceptable in the workplace today. You even see people in ultra-conservative professions like bankers, lawyers, judges, etc. with their heads shaved.

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2018, 03:04:36 PM »
A shaved head and beard is a very strong look for you.  Looks great!
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline slickjack

• Sly Jr.
  • Day 1
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2018, 01:18:01 AM »
Thanks for all your comments and support. It’s been two weeks now and I’m still enjoying shaving every day. I’m feeling much more confident too about the look. With only one week to go before returning to work my hair is going to be extremely short whatever. So I’m just going to keep shaving. I’ve attached a couple of recent photos with a longer and shorter beard. I think I prefer the shorter look.

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2018, 06:59:31 AM »
Congratulations, you look awesome with a shaved head! I like the shorter beard too.

So, the day you return to work, shave your head nice and smooth. Some will want to feel it. It looks so good, show it off! After a couple days everyone will be used to your new haircut, and you can be comfortable sporting a bald head.
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline scooby

• Sly
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2018, 03:18:41 PM »
you look perfect with the shaved head and the beard.and happy,thats all that matters.