Author Topic: "bic" it?  (Read 7522 times)

Offline Cy

• Super Sly
"bic" it?
« on: September 22, 2007, 04:54:02 AM »
Hey guys,

Usually after a fresh shave, I get asked, "Hey, you bic'd it!!!" or some variation.

I first heard the phrase around 2000/01, and didn't think too much of it. When I actually tried using a bic razor to shave, it was about as effective as using a cheese grater..... only more painful and I went through about 20 of them, only to reshave with a Mach3.

My usual reply is, "Yeah, I Schicked it..." which usually gets a weird look.

I dunno... what have y'all experienced with this common vernacular?

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: "bic" it?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2007, 04:59:50 AM »
Hey guys,

Usually after a fresh shave, I get asked, "Hey, you bic'd it!!!" or some variation.

I dunno... what have y'all experienced with this common vernacular?
cy.... i never heard that phrase b4 until reading your post but thanks 4 sharing.  i liked your response.  i guess i'll say ...yeah.... i fusioned it. O0  i'm kinda curious if the other sly brahs have heard this phrase.

WARHAWK O0
Tough times don't last but tough people do!!!

Offline Paul

• Bald Rider
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2007, 05:11:31 AM »
You're right Cy, that phrase has some years on it.  It was pretty common in the late nineties but I haven't heard it in some time.   Figured the popularity of the sly look and the advent of actual head shaving products had eliminated it since no experienced sly guy would put a disposable razor near his gleaming dome.
"...and I--I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference."  Robert Frost

Offline Vash

• Be Kind For Everyone You Meet Is Fighting A Hard Battle
  • Super Sly
  • Bald, Bearded, Tattooed, Awesome!
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2007, 06:19:44 AM »
I still get it here in Oregon, when I talk about shaving my head clean and not just taking clippers to it (which some barber shops out here consider a "head shave"... cllippers with no guard).

I think it's a part of conversation similar to people calling all adhesive bandages "Band-Aids" or all cotton swabs "Q-Tips" or (in Europe) all vacuum cleaners "Hoovers". Hell, in a lot of "The South" here in the states all Soda (or Pop) is a "Coke", as in:

"What kinda Coke ya want with yer hamburger hun?, we have Orange, Grape, 7-up, Mountain Dew and Pepsi". I'm not kidding, I've had that conversation on many a vacation. If it's a carbonated beverage, it's a Coke.

I don't know how these things happen, but it seems the verbal short hand for "disposable razor" is "Bic".  ???
~Vash

FB: Vashon Bench
Twitter: @gingerbeardpdx
Instagram: @gingerbeardpdx

Offline JDog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2007, 09:05:04 AM »
Hey Cy, I too have heard that type of vernacular. First time I shaved my head with a razor I got that EXACT same comment "Oh so you Bic'd it"...Like everyone has said, Bic have been making razors for 40 years and it their brand has been associated with shaving in general for so long it has become part of the lingo.

Similar to Google.

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2007, 12:04:34 PM »
LOL!  I have heard that term sooooooooo many times here in Nor. Cal.  Hey man, do you 'bic' it? 

People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline Lucky

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2007, 05:16:55 PM »
Should I go home and bic it? 

Along that same line I google d it on yahoo.  Google d was added as the general term for searching on the net.  As I would say bic ed it as the general term for shaving.  But I wil never use that in a conversation.

Offline Scott

• Sly Bureau
  • Celebrating 5+ Years of SLYNESS!
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2007, 12:01:44 AM »
Cy, yeah, I've had several random friends come up to me after not seeing me for a while and saying "oh man, you bic'd your head... why?" 

I'm from the South and Vash is definitely right about the "coke" thing.

BALDANDRE

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2007, 10:55:43 AM »
I still get it here in Oregon, when I talk about shaving my head clean and not just taking clippers to it (which some barber shops out here consider a "head shave"... cllippers with no guard).

I think it's a part of conversation similar to people calling all adhesive bandages "Band-Aids" or all cotton swabs "Q-Tips" or (in Europe) all vacuum cleaners "Hoovers". Hell, in a lot of "The South" here in the states all Soda (or Pop) is a "Coke", as in:

"What kinda Coke ya want with yer hamburger hun?, we have Orange, Grape, 7-up, Mountain Dew and Pepsi". I'm not kidding, I've had that conversation on many a vacation. If it's a carbonated beverage, it's a Coke.

I don't know how these things happen, but it seems the verbal short hand for "disposable razor" is "Bic".  ???

Vash is right on with that description...Heck I even use that phase if I ask someone if they are considering "shaving it smooth"...I think it somehow really define SCRAPING it clean and smooth. 8)

shakf

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2007, 02:07:32 PM »
Yep. Heard this vernacular before. Heard it before I started going SLY. The bic is awful. The best shave is without a doubt getting a barber to use a cut throat. Really clean.

Offline hipstersaint

• Sly
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2007, 04:28:26 PM »
yeah, I get that too....

Offline baldntat05

• Sly
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2007, 08:42:28 PM »
Never had that one here in the Old North State.  I did try the disposables once, only once way back when I first started shaving in 97, learned quickly that was a bad idea.

Offline nomad

• Sly Beach Bum!!
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
    • Conch Republic Bikinis
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2007, 10:39:32 PM »
"bic"in it is just slang thats been around for along time. I still use it just like I want a coke, but I do like the "scraping it", just sounds better.

Offline skinhead002

• Super Sly
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2007, 05:57:52 PM »
I think the term might have come from that Bic flooded the markets with some of the first disposable razors and were popular at post and base exchanges.  I heard my soldiers use the term in the 90s. We never used it in the 60s, 70s, or 80s-we said we just shaved our heads.  Have also heard it in police academies...

Offline Marz

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2007, 06:04:31 PM »
I have heard that many o' time.

Just tell em you used a razor not a lighter
“If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.”