Author Topic: Razor Burn with Andis Profoil  (Read 1747 times)

Offline Jerome

• Sly Jr.
Razor Burn with Andis Profoil
« on: May 04, 2020, 02:40:22 PM »
Hi all-
I have used the Andis Profoil several times now on my head (and once on my face for comparison) and each time have experienced razor burn and irritation. I'm not pressing hard. I have not experienced this when using my Braun Series 7 (I use the Braun for my face but tried it a few times on my head without any problems; I bought the Andis for my head because I didn't want to wear out the blades on the Braun too quickly). I'm not sure why the Andis is so highly recommended. Am I doing something wrong? I'd like to keep using the Andis, but maybe I'm just one of the few for whom this isn't the best razor?

Thanks. Be well and be safe everyone!

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
Re: Razor Burn with Andis Profoil
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2020, 09:29:05 AM »
Yes, for some reason some shavers might not be compatible with your scalp. A few years ago, I thought I would upgrade to a highly recommended Braun shaver. I had the same problem, chewed up my skin, so returned it. I just stick with my triple head Remington and hope it keeps going. It's over 10 years old!
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline slybeard

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2020, 10:19:54 AM »
Try making fewer passes with it and see if it improves.  Also, try some electric pre-shave or some baby powder to lubricate your skin. It may just take your scalp some time to adjust. I have had similar issues when switching to a different razor.
SlyBeard

Offline Jerome

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2020, 11:42:38 AM »
Yes, for some reason some shavers might not be compatible with your scalp. A few years ago, I thought I would upgrade to a highly recommended  shaver. I had the same problem, chewed up my skin, so returned it. I just stick with my triple head  and hope it keeps going. It's over 10 years old!

Yeah, maybe I'll just stick with the Braun. I like shaving with a blade, but sometimes the electric is laster and easier (as least for this newbie).

Offline Jerome

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2020, 11:45:06 AM »
Try making fewer passes with it and see if it improves.  Also, try some electric pre-shave or some baby powder to lubricate your skin. It may just take your scalp some time to adjust. I have had similar issues when switching to a different razor.

I'll give it a try before giving up on it. I don't need to do those things with the Braun, but the Andis does shave a bit closer, so maybe that's the reason for the irritation.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2020, 11:55:01 AM by Jerome »

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2020, 11:55:27 AM »
I usually apply Lectric Shave before passing the Andis on my head....You can get it at just about any drugstore.
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline Semi-Sly

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2020, 01:00:35 AM »
As a barber, I always use a bit of powder on the hesd before I use the Andis.  it’s both dry scalp so the foil doesn’t stick in also acts like a
million tiny little ball bearings allows the razor to glide across the head

Offline Jerome

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2020, 08:54:45 AM »
As a barber, I always use a bit of powder on the hesd before I use the .  it’s both dry scalp so the foil doesn’t stick in also acts like a
million tiny little ball bearings allows the razor to glide across the head

Thanks, I'll give that a try, too.

Offline Magoo

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2020, 02:46:21 PM »

I'll give it a try before giving up on it. I don't need to do those things with the , but the  does shave a bit closer, so maybe that's the reason for the irritation.
Think you answered your own question, with the closer cutting of the  shaver. As was previously suggested, try using Electric Shave as a lubricant. Personally I love the Pit Bull  Shaver for speed and convenience. I also use A Braun   series 5 . The Braun cuts closer , but takes longer .  Using talc powder also is a good lubricant.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2020, 02:53:39 PM by Magoo »
If only all men lived by the "Golden Rule ."

Enter your email address: