Author Topic: I keep cutting myself :(  (Read 8256 times)

Offline Eamon91

• Learning the way of Sly
I keep cutting myself :(
« on: February 13, 2018, 03:26:07 PM »
Hi guys,

I've been shaving since i joined this forum back in 2011 and i'm embarassed to say that I keep getting nicks and cuts (usually in the back of my head) when shaving. This has made shaving a very unpleasant experience for me, and I have several small scars as a result of this.

Equipment

- Headblade Sport
- Headslick
- Gillette Contour Plus Cartridges (wouldve got headblade triple blades but these are so much cheaper)

Routine

- rub hot/warm water over my head then pat dry with towel
- apply Headslick
- begin shaving with the grain on all areas for 2 passes
- begin shaving against the grain on all areas (this is where the cuts happen - usually in the back of the head)

I'm not sure if this is a common problem for others? In particular the back part of the head.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Offline slybeard

• Sly Bureau
Re: I keep cutting myself :(
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2018, 04:19:42 PM »
I had issues with the headblade as well and switched back to to a Fusion (normally the generic equivalent from Walmart - half the price).  I rarely get a nick now.
SlyBeard

Offline Magoo

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2018, 05:59:51 PM »
I do not shave ATG at the back of my head. If that is you problem time  go WTG , or try a different razor.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 11:04:49 AM by Magoo »
If only all men lived by the "Golden Rule ."

Offline underorbit

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2018, 08:55:10 AM »
I'm a big fan of the Mach 3. The one time I tried something else, I cut myself instantly. The Mach 3 only really gave me any nicks when I was first starting out and didn't have the hang of it yet anyway. I understand there are attachments to the Headblade that will accommodate a Mach 3 cartridge, but I find that just guiding the cartridge along my scalp with my fingers at the back of it accomplishes what I want. Good luck!

Offline _Dan_

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2018, 08:02:22 PM »
never tried a headblade but my go to for a quick no hassle and very little care needed shave..is a mach 3

i can get a good shave in 10 mins with little fear of cutting myself even against the grain

do you make sure you aren't over-using cartridges?   i know its pricey..but  honestly for a good safe shave, most dont last for more than 2 - 3 full head shaves.

sometimes it can help to look down  as you shave the back of your head, in order to keep the skin stretched tight.

do you have any spots back there?  if you catch one of them, that could be the issue. 
Also make sure the blade is always moving forward.....what i mean is, if say you dont have a good enough grip and aren't actually firm enough with it, it can slide to the left or the right whilst moving and thats going to cut you

Offline Semi-Sly

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2018, 01:12:43 AM »
Hi guys,

I've been shaving since i joined this forum back in 2011 and i'm embarassed to say that I keep getting nicks and cuts (usually in the back of my head) when shaving. This has made shaving a very unpleasant experience for me, and I have several small scars as a result of this.

Equipment

- Headblade Sport
- Headslick
- Gillette Contour Plus Cartridges (wouldve got headblade triple blades but these are so much cheaper)

Routine

- rub hot/warm water over my head then pat dry with towel
- apply Headslick
- begin shaving with the grain on all areas for 2 passes
- begin shaving against the grain on all areas (this is where the cuts happen - usually in the back of the head)

I'm not sure if this is a common problem for others? In particular the back part of the head.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

First, are you shaving AFTER you have taken a hot shower or are you just slicing away at cold skin with closed pores?

Second, ditch the headblade.  it is just a gimmick.  And don't use a cheap disposable razor.  Use a multiblade razor like the Mach III for the smoothest shave.  Single edged razors can give you a good shave as well but they take a lot of "technique" to get a good shave without getting cut.

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2018, 06:37:41 AM »
Yup, the Headblade has never worked for me. Another thing that works for me, I usually don't use a mirror. I shave by feel, even closing your eyes helps to concentrate.
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline Goatee

• Bald and Proud to be!
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2018, 12:16:50 PM »
Try a lawnmower.

Offline GoHabs

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2018, 05:51:53 AM »
Another vote for the Mach 3.  You may want to try going across the grain instead of against the grain on your second pass.  Good luck!

Offline Titus

• The younger
  • Sly Jr.
  • Que sera sera.
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2018, 12:14:11 AM »
Something isn't working for you! You need to not look to the popular choices, and work on what fits for YOU.

Being sly should come with no knicks, no cuts.

If at first you do not succeed, try again.

Offline Goatee

• Bald and Proud to be!
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2018, 01:12:02 PM »
I'm going back to a DE once my head acne clears up!

Offline GoHabs

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2018, 05:23:03 AM »
Despite several years of DE face shaving experience, I can not get a decent head shave with a DE razor.

Offline rambaldi

• Learning the way of Sly
  • proud to be bald and a ht survivor
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2018, 01:06:26 AM »
I have the same problem as you. My solution is to shave with the grain gently and calmly. O0
« Last Edit: October 03, 2018, 01:07:58 AM by rambaldi »
Let it shine baby!

Offline Feenix

• Sly Jr.
  • Like Mr Boombastic, I'm semi fantastic!
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2018, 09:35:12 AM »
mm, I used to cut myself a lot too.  I found that I was putting too much pressure on the razor - the handle is just a guide, you dont have to press into your head to shave it, let the blade do the work.  I can take a bit longer sometimes, but is worth it.  Good luck!

Offline Blagadan

• Super Sly
  • Feckin' little baldy eejit!
    • My blog: Raiméis
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2018, 01:24:17 PM »
The headblade is the problem imo.
I use a Gillette fusion, never get cut. I'd recommend any a 5 blade razor.

Enter your email address: