Author Topic: After an honest opinion - should I do it?  (Read 5975 times)

Offline 1995bolt

• Learning the way of Sly
After an honest opinion - should I do it?
« on: September 10, 2018, 10:32:07 PM »
Hi guys,

Hope you're all doing well and are happy with whatever look you're currently rocking - slick or hairy!

I am 22 years old, almost 23, and I have, I would say slowly thinning since maybe 20/21. It's hard to tell, because I have inherited a widow's peak from my mum's side, so I've probably been a "norwood 2" my whole life, and I would say I'm a norwood 3 now. IN fact I'm pretty sure mum has a norwood 2 hairline if she wears a ponytail XD. I have also got a high forehead, from mum's side, and dad was completely bald on top by his mid 20's. He told me it started for him at 23.

I do indeed struggle with my own self image. I have for a big chunk of my life. But I'm now at the point where I realise I'm pretty good looking, I'm just not sure if I will suit the bald look, particularly so young!

I will include a couple images, what do you guys think? When it gets past the point of no return, would I suit a shaved look? I predict I'm probably good for a few more months, possibly a year or two. My hair loss is mostly around the hairline but it is probably also thinning a bit all over. There's no noticeable loss from the back.

The only thing is, even if others may not notice any loss, I know it's there.

Offline Johannes

• Sly
  • Straight Razor Shaver
Re: After an honest opinion - should I do it?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2018, 01:08:05 AM »
Hi, Yes time to shave it off
Nothing better than one sharp blade

Offline Dragon

• Super Sly
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2018, 01:16:23 AM »
You do still have plenty of hair so you can stay as you are.  But if you wanted to shave then i see no reason that you wouldnt be able to pull off the look.  If you dont like it it will grow back.  Have you ever had your hair shorter?

Offline 1995bolt

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2018, 03:44:50 AM »
Hi, Yes time to shave it off

Thanks for feedback :)

Offline 1995bolt

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2018, 03:51:17 AM »
You do still have plenty of hair so you can stay as you are.  But if you wanted to shave then i see no reason that you wouldnt be able to pull off the look.  If you dont like it it will grow back.  Have you ever had your hair shorter?

Hey mate thanks for the feedback

Yes actually but this was 4 years ago. Attempted army basic training so had a number 2 haircut. My gf at the time wasn't impressed with it but I had to shave it off for the army, Just like eventually I'll have to shave my head. Funny that

But I was younger, I look less boyish than I did back then. I guess I just want to know when that time comes, if I could pull it off. Now that I'm aware of balding, I notice how bald guys get made fun of on t.v. shows etc.

Offline Dragon

• Super Sly
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2018, 11:54:30 AM »

Hey mate thanks for the feedback

Yes actually but this was 4 years ago. Attempted army basic training so had a number 2 haircut. My gf at the time wasn't impressed with it but I had to shave it off for the army, Just like eventually I'll have to shave my head. Funny that

But I was younger, I look less boyish than I did back then. I guess I just want to know when that time comes, if I could pull it off. Now that I'm aware of balding, I notice how bald guys get made fun of on t.v. shows etc.

No doubt whatsoever that you would be able to pull off the look.  The key is to own the look.  If you do own it, people are very unlikely to make any comment. 

Offline chrisphilly123

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2018, 12:26:54 PM »
Hi guys,

Hope you're all doing well and are happy with whatever look you're currently rocking - slick or hairy!

I am 22 years old, almost 23, and I have, I would say slowly thinning since maybe 20/21. It's hard to tell, because I have inherited a widow's peak from my mum's side, so I've probably been a "norwood 2" my whole life, and I would say I'm a norwood 3 now. IN fact I'm pretty sure mum has a norwood 2 hairline if she wears a ponytail XD. I have also got a high forehead, from mum's side, and dad was completely bald on top by his mid 20's. He told me it started for him at 23.

I do indeed struggle with my own self image. I have for a big chunk of my life. But I'm now at the point where I realise I'm pretty good looking, I'm just not sure if I will suit the bald look, particularly so young!

I will include a couple images, what do you guys think? When it gets past the point of no return, would I suit a shaved look? I predict I'm probably good for a few more months, possibly a year or two. My hair loss is mostly around the hairline but it is probably also thinning a bit all over. There's no noticeable loss from the back.

The only thing is, even if others may not notice any loss, I know it's there.

you'll look STRONGER and your age if you buzz or shave it. imho, thinning hair makes us look weak and OLD.

Offline scooby

• Sly
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2018, 03:01:13 PM »
sooner or later you are going to have to shave it off.if i were you i would buzz cut it down.this way you will be use to it being short.as far as the look i think you will rock it.you got the perfect head for it.

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2018, 03:12:16 PM »
If you already had a #2 buzzcut, you pretty much know how you will look shaved. It's only a couple weeks after shaving to get back to a #2.

You wouldn't be here if you didn't want to try a shaved bald head, so I would say go for it. You just won't know if you will like it, unless you give it a try.
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline 1995bolt

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2018, 03:31:41 PM »
If you already had a #2 buzzcut, you pretty much know how you will look shaved. It's only a couple weeks after shaving to get back to a #2.

You wouldn't be here if you didn't want to try a shaved bald head, so I would say go for it. You just won't know if you will like it, unless you give it a try.

True I wouldn't be here if that were the case. I think for now I'll keep what's there and then go #2 once it gets worse, and work my way down to number zero.

I guess the reason I'm here is because the other bald truth sites they all seem to sit there and count every individual hair on their head every morning to see if their little tablets are helping regrow any hair, while moaning about how they can't get women until they get a hair transplant. Very toxic. I don't want to fight genetics if I attract a girl with a fake full head of hair then that would make me feel like a phony. As a kid dad would say to me that it's all fake and you can't regrow your hair by visiting a hair clinic so that message has stuck with me.

Number 2 was a number of years ago and I don't even remember how it looked honestly XD

Offline Semi-Sly

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2018, 11:04:40 PM »
Well, it is time to try a new style; that much is certain.

Offline 1995bolt

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2018, 07:34:24 AM »
Well, it is time to try a new style; that much is certain.

There won't be many hairstyles for me to choose from in the not too far off future  ;D

Offline sergi0wned

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2018, 08:34:10 AM »
Go for it!

As a 24 year old who was dealing with really bad thinning on the crown, taking the plunge was so empowering. Not trying to hide the thinning was so liberating, and I instantly felt relief, as well as increased confidence.

I buzzed down to a 3 and got used to the look for a week or two. When I started to see the thinning (sadly, pretty early), I went for another cut.

I buzzed down to a 1, then decided to go no guard, then took a razor to it.

Offline professor

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2018, 09:38:56 AM »
Buzzing it down for several weeks will help you get used to the look and also an easy way to eventually go for the full shave.  You will be surprised how much more confident you become as you free yourself of the constant fear of the balding process.  Best of Luck!

Offline chrisphilly123

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2018, 12:11:16 PM »
Buzzing it down for several weeks will help you get used to the look and also an easy way to eventually go for the full shave.  You will be surprised how much more confident you become as you free yourself of the constant fear of the balding process.  Best of Luck!
100% true. couldn't have said it any better.

f'ing thinning hair can wreck your self-esteem. I thought I would hate being bald but it's the best things I ever did for myself.