Author Topic: Expect the unexpected  (Read 5955 times)

Offline Runningman586

• Sly Jr.
Expect the unexpected
« on: November 28, 2020, 02:11:32 PM »
So I've been wondering. When you all started shaving bald what suprised you? What didn't you expect to really enjoy about being bald, and likewise don't like about being bald? Are there things people started to do or say after you went chrome dome? I'm just a little curious because I have some things I didn't expect so I know I'm not the only one.

Offline chuck63

• Sly
Re: Expect the unexpected
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2020, 04:17:27 PM »
When I started shaving my head, I expected a bald head to feel good.  To my surprise, it felt better than expected, especially the part of rinsing it off.  What I didn’t expect was the maintenance involved.  I have a lot of cowlicks on my crown, and it involves a lot of shaving in different directions to get rid of all the stubble.  My hair grows fast, so I have to shave every day to maintain my smooth scalp.  After shaving my head, I didn’t get a whole lot of feedback from people.  I guess everyone saw it as just another haircut.  I don’t miss my grey hair at all.  It took a little getting used to, but I like my look as a bald guy

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2020, 04:31:40 PM »
I decided to buzz my hair really short one time only. I buzzed it, didn't like it, buzzed shorter, didn't like it, so I shaved it bald. My significant other at the time was shocked, but later that day, she said she loved it and asked me to keep it shaved for a while.

So I was surprised she liked it, and I put a baldie photo on Facebook, and nearly everyone said it looked good. I loved the fact that I no longer had a head of white hair! I guess what surprises me the most is that 7 years later, I'm still shaving every day, and love the look and especially the feel of a totally smooth head.
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline clint902

• Super Sly
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2020, 12:01:16 AM »
One thing I wasn't expecting was dandruff and a lot of it.  I have to exfoliate prior to every shave to prevent it.

Offline ANASFIL

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2020, 02:22:09 AM »
I must confess that I didn't expect the sense of freedom and the feeling you get from whatever touches your scalp, even the light breeze of air.
My girlfriend at the time (wife now) was very positive and even promoted the bald scalp, so she gave me the extra push I needed.
What I also didn't expect was how fast my hair is growing and how much effort is needed to keep a smooth dome. That is why I am trying to find and practise methods that will extend the "smooth" state for more days. Currently, I am searching for info over the net regarding tweezing or waxing and I am also very interested to learn more about hair growth inhibitors that stop hair growth or downsize the growth rhythm.

Being bald by choice isn't an easy step, especially for the people that know you for years, relatives, friends, etc. They have problems to accept your new image and they are always trying to find why you have decided to do it, as they think it, as an extreme step. I have figured out that many times that curiosity or sometimes expression of dislike or surprise, is based on the fact that they are not able to break community standards and try it themselves.
Most of them accept my new image by the time, some other don't.
People that they met for the first time as a bald guy, are either positive (most of them) or neutral.
I have to admit, that women are more positive than men are. Perhaps men are more conscious as they believe that a similar haircut would be something that will drag them out of their comfort zone so they prefer that they rather condemned something that might have the effect than let it be in their environment. Especially in cases that they are couples and the women express an acceptance / like my look.  Maybe they are afraid of an old saying we have here in Greece, "Whatever you see happening in your neighbor's house, you should be expecting to also happen at your house".

Offline Laser Man

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2020, 05:53:33 PM »
Something that surprised me was that some people seemed intimidated by me when I first began shaving my head.  I suddenly was getting more deference and "sir" from strangers.  Granted that was nearly 10 years ago when shaved heads were a little less common.

I am bald by choice and that raised a lot of questions, e.g., "when are you going to grow your hair back?" and "why would you shave your head?"  Those questions stopped after a few months.

What I like about being bald is how smooth and  clean it feels.  To be honest, I loved it from the first day I shaved and have not once regretted it.

Offline Laser Man

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2020, 08:20:17 PM »
One very unexpected thing that happened when I first began shaving was during a meeting with people from my company's Washington office.  At a break, a female colleague walk behind me and rubbed my head quickly as she passed. She did it a second time that day and then again about a month later at another meeting.  Sh complimented me on how I looked and then told me her husband shaves his head!

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2020, 06:27:48 AM »
While a shaved head is not uncommon these days, it is still a distinctive look that people notice. A couple years ago, I was browsing around in a small store when I felt someone was following behind me. When I turned around, A young woman said she thought my head had beautiful skin, and it looked so healthy. It was summer and I was very tan, and I had just shaved and my head was shiny. It always nice to get a compliment!

Offline clint902

• Super Sly
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2020, 11:59:01 AM »
A compliment like that is always nice to hear.  One gal told me my hair was at just the right length. :*))

Offline slybeard

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2020, 12:43:25 PM »
I was surprised by how quickly I liked it- instantly.  I never wanted my hair back, and I started BBC.  Now it is BBN.  I loved the look, but was also surprised to learn that I love the feel just as much. That was very unexpected.  I also did not expect the desire to keep it completely smooth.
SlyBeard

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2021, 06:52:32 PM »
First post in a while:

I underwent shoulder/bicep surgery in early December, and as a result, I am now in physical therapy. I am now in my seventh week of 12. I usually wear a cap to coordinate with my shirt, but this time I didn't wear one and I had just got a barber headshave. My physical therapist, when she was doing the stem massage on my shoulder says "Did you shave your head recently?" I told her yes, I went to the barber. As some of you know, I got an SMP procedure back in 2015, but she said that "your haircut looks fairly fresh!" The other therapists stopped to check out my head (all were female). No head rubs, but all the attention felt good, I must say!
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2021, 07:01:44 AM »
The biggest thing I didn't expect was keeping my head shaved forever. I began with what I thought would be a one time headshave. Then my galpal wanted me to keep it bald for awhile. So after a couple months I decided to grow my hair back. Only made it a few weeks, and wanted to go back to shaving for the rest of the summer. After starting to grow it back a couple dozen times and 7 years later, I'm still rocking the cueball! I like the clean sharp look, but I think I'm more hooked on the smooth feel of a freshly shaved head.

Offline slybeard

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2021, 07:10:03 AM »
The "feel" is hard to explain to a guy that has never shaved his head.  Sure almost all guys have shaved their face, and some even shave in other places as well.  But non of that compares the feeling of a freshly shave head.  It is something that just has to be experienced.
SlyBeard

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2021, 08:52:14 AM »
I agree 100%. I think we could go 3 or4 days without shaving, and people are still going to see us having a shaved head, especially white haired guys like me. But it's us guys that shave ever day because we have to have it totally smooth. I'm not obsessive compulsive about anything else, but you can't beat the feel of a completely smooth shaved head!

Offline chuck63

• Sly
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2021, 12:12:32 PM »
I skipped a day shaving this weekend.  The sandpaper feel was driving me crazy.  After I shaved, it felt extra smooth.   I’ve seen posts on here saying that skipping a day results in a smoother shave.  I’d rather shave every day, myself.

Enter your email address: