Author Topic: Favorite Sitcom  (Read 23749 times)

Offline BigKen

• Super Sly
Re: Favorite Sitcom
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2017, 05:48:55 PM »
For me it would have to be Family Ties, Silver Spoons, Facts of Life, Cheers, Friends, and Seinfield.

Ah "Silver Spoons", I've seen that show a few times. I only remember it because Carlton from "The Fresh Prince" was part of the cast, hahah. 

Offline BigKen

• Super Sly
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2017, 05:57:55 PM »
Have any of you "Cheers" fans been to the actual Cheers restaurant in Boston, MA? I use to live and school in Boston, and know exactly where the diner is located. I unfortunately never got around to checking out the spot in all the time I was there, though.

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2017, 10:21:33 AM »
The Odd Couple, MASH, and All In The Family

Wasn't there a remake of "The Odd Couple"?

Yes.  It only ran for a single season.  Ron Glass and Desmond Wilson (Sanford and Son) were in it.

Offline Rusty Shackleford

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2017, 12:05:38 PM »
How’s it going fellas? I don’t know about the rest of you, but I really miss the golden age of TV as I call it. That was the time when sitcoms ruled the airwaves, and there wasn’t all this reality TV, brain-rotting crap like nowadays. The TV shows back in the day could brighten the worst of one’s day, or teach some lesson about life even if was done a little tastelessly. What sitcom(s) did you guys enjoy or still enjoy watching? I gotta know. ;D My favorites by decade are below.

70’s: All in the Family, Happy Days, Laverne & Shirley

80’s: The Cosby Show, Growing Pains, Married with Children

90’s: Boy Meets World, Family Matters, The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air, Friends

Early 2000’s: That 70’s Show

I think today's TV is one of extremes.  On the one hand you have vacuous airheads like Kim Cardassian on these pointless reality TV shows, and then on the other you have smart shows like Bates Motel and Better Call Saul. Sitcoms are the worst: it's generally a bunch of millennials or young Gen Xers finding ways to breed while reading out one-liner jokes to a laugh track.

I believe the 70s-80s was the Golden Age of sitcoms, but I believe the best shows are the ones that are on now *if* you look past the mountains of junk.  Nothing bores me more with a TV series than one with nothing but stand-alone episodes where no matter what happens during the show you know it will end exactly like it started.  This is why I believe Star Trek: TNG is overrated because storylines often had major developments but you knew that another plot twist would happen by the end of the hour to return the chess pieces back to their starting positions.  You always knew the series would never take a chance unless forced to by an actor who wanted out of the show.

This is why shows like The Walking Dead are just better than the dramas of the past; episodes don't reset their chess pieces.  You really don't know what is coming next, and you really do get hooked and need to see that next episode.

But sitcoms largely S-UUUUUCK. I saw that 2 Broke Girls one time and it hurt my brain.  The only sitcoms I watch are The Middle (*gasp* no laugh track and the house does not look like a set sitting on a stage) and Big Bang Theory which is legitimately hilarious.  It's even getting a prequel spinoff based around a young Sheldon.
You don't know me, but I know you.

Offline BigKen

• Super Sly
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2017, 12:26:08 PM »

Yes.  It only ran for a single season.  Ron Glass and Desmond Wilson (Sanford and Son) were in it.

I wasn't aware of that version. I was actually referring to a more modern reboot as within the last couple of years.

Offline BigKen

• Super Sly
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2017, 12:34:05 PM »
My personal favorite would be NBC's Saturday Night lineup in the mid to late 1980s which consisted of shows such as Facts of Life, 227, Golden Girls and Amen back to back to back. I was a teenager then, but it was some fun times!

So you must have been familiar with "Empty Nest". The sitcom wasn't one of my favorites, but it was a pretty decent show. 227?? Now that's a flashback; I still remember the theme song, ahaha!

227 was never the same after Sandra left the show. BTW, many of these shows can be seen on various channels of DirecTV or you can get them via firestick or a Roku box.

What's a Roku box?

Offline BigKen

• Super Sly
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2017, 12:40:16 PM »
I miss the old classics as well, but I do not care to re-watch the ones I have already seen so often that I know the entire show.  Therefore, I do not watch TV much anymore, for the most part there are no programs on that I care to see.  Everything thing seems to be produced just for shock value and trashy.  I have 80 channels available to me on my cable, and nothing to watch.  Growing up, we had 2 channels and had to choose between two good programs.

I watch all my favorite shows online these days. I prefer it that way, as TV seems to randomly cut out parts. Only two programs to choose from??

Offline BigKen

• Super Sly
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2017, 12:47:22 PM »
My personal favorite would be NBC's Saturday Night lineup in the mid to late 1980s which consisted of shows such as Facts of Life, 227, Golden Girls and Amen back to back to back. I was a teenager then, but it was some fun times!

Their Thursday night lineup was better (Cosby Show, Family Ties, Cheers, Night Court, Hill Street Blues). Now I rarely watch network TV anymore.

I did enjoy Thursday night when they had Cosby and Different World back to back

However, CBS had some pretty good sitcoms in the late 1970's early 1980's such as All in The Family, One Day at a Time and Alice...but personally, I was (and still am) a game show junkie, so if a game show was on, that trumped any and all sitcoms for me.

This discussion really proves that Jackée and Vanna White are your celebrity crushes. ;D

Offline Rusty Shackleford

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2017, 04:18:51 PM »
With sitcoms my favorites were Three's Company, Facts of Life / Diffrent Strokes, What's Happenin', All in the Family, Jefferson, Gilligan's Island, etc but I've noticed that time hasn't been kind to some.  I saw an old Facts of Life and Jeffersons this decade that were painful, but Three's Company and What's Happenin are still enjoyable today.
You don't know me, but I know you.

Offline Parrotthead

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2017, 02:46:45 AM »

Last I checked The Odd Couple is still on cbs. There are a few that I record today that are worthwhile ... Life in Pieces ... Last man Standing (just finished up) ... You're the Worst ( some of them are really funny) ... Roadies( showtime) ...

I love a bunch of the early Big Bang Theory, they need to let it die now

I still watch Mash.

One no one mentioned is Weeds and Californacation(sp?), their early stuff was great( it should be on amazon prime)
« Last Edit: July 09, 2017, 02:53:47 AM by Parrotthead »
" these days I'm up about the time I used to go to bed"

Offline BigKen

• Super Sly
« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2017, 02:57:48 PM »

Last I checked The Odd Couple is still on cbs. There are a few that I record today that are worthwhile ... Life in Pieces ... Last man Standing (just finished up) ... You're the Worst ( some of them are really funny) ... Roadies( showtime) ...

I love a bunch of the early Big Bang Theory, they need to let it die now

I still watch Mash.

One no one mentioned is Weeds and Californacation(sp?), their early stuff was great( it should be on amazon prime)

Yeah, I was pretty sure there was a modern version of "The Odd Couple", and you confirmed it.

Offline BigKen

• Super Sly
« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2017, 03:09:28 PM »
My all time favorite is The Andy Griffith show. There are many days I would love to go back in time and live there. So much simpler and different times.

I can imagine walking into Floyd's Barbershop and getting a razor headshave. Might cause a little gossip in town.

If I could choose any decade to travel back in time to see how things were, it would be the 70's for me.

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2017, 03:38:33 PM »
My all time favorite is The Andy Griffith show. There are many days I would love to go back in time and live there. So much simpler and different times.

I can imagine walking into Floyd's Barbershop and getting a razor headshave. Might cause a little gossip in town.

If I could choose any decade to travel back in time to see how things were, it would be the 70's for me.

The Andy Griffith Show aired in the 60s.

Offline BigKen

• Super Sly
« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2017, 12:00:45 PM »

The Andy Griffith Show aired in the 60s.

I know; I was speaking from a different perspective.

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2017, 11:18:05 PM »
My daughter and I have been watching old episodes of Charles in Charge.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Enter your email address: