Author Topic: Should I go bald, I have a dent in my head.  (Read 16421 times)

Offline Kevinismyname

• Learning the way of Sly
Should I go bald, I have a dent in my head.
« on: March 09, 2013, 10:59:44 AM »
Basically I'm 22 almost 23 and my hair has a bad receding hairline, my hair is thinning and I have baldness in my mothers side of the family so it's prob. Going to happen to me. I don't mind bald but I have a sizable dent in my skull rear upper right side above the right ear side of the head. Now the issue is I'm self conscious about this dent and I'm going to get a buzz cut to have pictures but I've always had this dent since I was born (it was from birth I had a rough birth). So will my dent be more or less noticeable bald or buzzed and should I bother worrying about plastic surgery or be proud of my dent. Also I'm new to this forum.

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: Should I go bald, I have a dent in my head.
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2013, 11:04:09 AM »
It's probably not as bad as you think.  If it's behind your ear, that's not an area that most people are going to be focusing on very much so it should go largely unnoticed.  As far as I know there are no surgeries available to change the shape of the skull.  That dent is going to be there whether you shave your head or not.   The only way to hide it is to leave the fringe area long while the hair on the top of your head continues to thin and recede, which is not a good option.   Buzz your hair as short as you feel comfortable doing for now and take things from there.

Offline Hingatao

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2013, 11:11:45 AM »
Welcome to the club, Kevin.
Most people will be so focused on how awesome you look they won't even notice a dent. Start with a buzz cut. That'll give people, including yourself, a chance to get accustomed to the new look.
Hair is over rated.

Offline mrzed

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Addicted to head shaving.
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2013, 12:58:38 PM »
I second hintago's statement. The bald head is such a bold statement that any 'dents' pale to the handsome shaved head.

Offline stasiu

• Ultimate Sly Guy
  • All dressed up & no hair to go !
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2013, 01:11:03 PM »
Hey Kevin .. Welcome to SBG !  don't we all have something wrong with our head shapes, etc ?  Mine is sorta flat in back ... but it's part of my personality ... haha ... always looks to the bright bald side in life !

Offline Lynchy

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2013, 02:31:24 PM »
Welcome mate,

Most people won't even notice it TBH.

Good luck!
Lynchy

Offline Frontier Guy

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • SBC: Sly By Choice ... "Since May 18, 2012"
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2013, 05:20:58 PM »
I believe you need to recognize the "dent" is part of "your story." If anyone inquires, it's a great icebreaker - provided you feel confident rather than embarrassed.

And, really, there is nothing to be embarrassed about. Truth be told, we all have something which is imperfect.
"Sly can adapt to all surroundings!" - Wisdom from KG 8/19/2012

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2013, 08:14:23 PM »
Welcome, Kevin! If you want to give it a try, go for it! You can always grow it back if you don't like it...The dent is no big deal, trust me...We all have some imperfections on our heads, but they are our heads and we wear them bald with pride! Good luck to you, man and keep us posted!
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline OzSly

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2013, 09:14:51 PM »
G'Day Kevin mate  O0

Don't be too focused on your dent, most people won't notice or give it a second thought.
Like others have said, most have some sort imperfection on their scone.

Go Sly and give yourself some time to get use to it, and hey...if your don't like, no worries....grow it back!!

Oh...by the way...Welcome  O0

Offline rfn

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2013, 10:59:16 AM »
Welcome Kevin

Welcome to Sly Bald Guys!  You'll struggle to find a more supportive group of guys on the internet.  I'm another dented-head bald guy (injury a couple of years ago); I haven't succeeded in working up the courage to go beyond buzz cut with a 2 guard yet.  I've also thought about surgery, but I haven't found anything that can fix my issue without leaving scars.  Maybe you should post a picture of your dent and get some opinions here; I know we tend to exaggerate about our own little "defects". 

Offline Viking

• Sly
  • The artist formally known as Gearhead.......
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2013, 11:45:52 AM »
Also another thing to consider is that often lumps and bumps feel a lot bigger or noticeable to the touch than they actually are!! Why do you think that when people are trying to sand something smooth they'll go by feel rather than sight.

We all got lumps n bumps, you can either worry about them and let them get in the way of your life or you can just see them for what they are, part of you. I can assure you that you are waaaaaay more concerned with them than anyone else you meet is ever gonna be!!!

Offline Kevinismyname

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2013, 08:01:04 AM »
Update I decided to shave to a 2 on top and 1 on the side and the hair cutter said I had a nice shaped head, so I have more confidence in shaving ill be shaving it with clippers today but my next worry is I have slight dandruff/dry scalp. How will my scalp look if its shaved and will it be smooth and dandruff go away?

Offline Frontier Guy

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • SBC: Sly By Choice ... "Since May 18, 2012"
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2013, 10:11:02 AM »
Update I decided to shave to a 2 on top and 1 on the side and the hair cutter said I had a nice shaped head, so I have more confidence in shaving ill be shaving it with clippers today but my next worry is I have slight dandruff/dry scalp. How will my scalp look if its shaved and will it be smooth and dandruff go away?

I believe the answers are YES and YES.
"Sly can adapt to all surroundings!" - Wisdom from KG 8/19/2012

Offline mrzed

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Addicted to head shaving.
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2013, 11:59:05 AM »
I'd agree, yes to both.

I think we all have lumps or dents on our heads.  I have some 'low' spots that are a little more work to shave, but it works and does not look strange.

Shaved, it's easier to apply a cream or lotion which should help with dandruff.

Offline Kevinismyname

« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2013, 10:23:51 PM »
Here is my dent I feel it's more exaggerated in low light.

Enter your email address: