Author Topic: Problems with the Sides  (Read 20240 times)

Offline Switch

• Sly Guy in Training
Problems with the Sides
« on: October 17, 2006, 05:37:12 PM »
I use a headblade and i love it. but no matter what razor i ude, shaving the sides and back of my head is always harder than the top, sometimes causing irritation or cuts. any tips?

-Switch "The Prodigy" Noblitt

Offline happyharry

• Team Sly
  • Super Sly
  • bald, bold and beautiful
Re: Problems with the Sides
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2006, 06:01:50 PM »
Switch, it's quite the opposite with me: the back is quite easy for me to shave and I never get any cuts there, but
I too have trouble with the sides, though.

Anyway, one tip I could give you is:

• before you start shaving rinse your head with warm water for a minute or two (or use a wet hot towel), this will soften the stubble and you'll have less irritation and nicks.
  • be extra careful when you shave those sensitive areas, i.e. apply as little pressure as possible with the razor
  • shave those areas with the grain, not against it
  • shave these sensitive areas last, not first. This will give the shaving cream/foam/gel time to better soften the
    stubble and make the shave easier

These were four tips, actually...now you owe me. ;D

Hope this helps...
« Last Edit: October 17, 2006, 06:10:30 PM by happyharry »
Who loves ya, baby?

Offline Switch

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2006, 06:28:13 PM »
thanks man, i'll let you know how it turns out
-Switch "The Prodigy" Noblitt

KrasH

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2006, 01:33:23 PM »
I have to second the Shave those areas with the grain and not against, it makes a huge difference.

You can always make a second pass going against the grain to get closer shave.

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2006, 03:09:35 PM »
Harry - I've been using your tip regarding the hot, wet towell while I've been travelling.  Since I don't have a mirror in the hotel showers to help me shave my head, I'll use a hot towel for a minute or two and then shave in front of the sink.  It's been working well.

Switch - I've noticed that it's a bit difficult to shave the sides of my head with the Headblade now that I'm using one.  I do what I can and then just get the rest when I shave my face with my other razor.  To avoid nicks, I always make sure to reapply lotion around my ears when I'm putting on those final touches.  I usually rest the head in the crease between the top of my ear and my scalp and then shave upwards toward the top of my head.  Like the Headblade, I try not to use too much pressure as the skin there seems more prone to nicks than other areas.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

BaldRob

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2006, 04:20:07 PM »
that's the one problem with the HeadBlade that I've run into... the sides!!  Just can't get them close and have a stripe above my ears!  Never worry though... that's what the fusion is for...  ;D

Offline CarlosMIS

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2006, 06:39:59 PM »
I'm my case I use the HeadBlade shaving with the grain in the back then I used my Fusion sideways around the back and sides just letting slide with very little pressure. The back on my ears I do againts the grain (upwards) very very slow and carefully.. So far not a cut or irritation.

;D
Sincerely Bald,
Carlos

Offline Sheeple

• Master Fewl
  • Sly Guy in Training
  • Auld Pic, new to come.
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2006, 01:42:15 PM »
I have had zero luck shaving against the grain on the top and back of my head. Back being the worst.

All previous attempts to shave against the grain have left my head in such a condition as to cause other folks the empathy pain. (About half as bad as watching someone get kicked in the stones.)

Fusion works fine for me goin with the grain on the top sides and back, and sideways on the sides. Anything else is a no go.  :(
A skilled warrior takes his stand on ground where he cannot lose, but does not overlook the conditions that make his enemy prone to defeat.

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2006, 02:49:26 PM »
I have had zero luck shaving against the grain on the top and back of my head. Back being the worst.

All previous attempts to shave against the grain have left my head in such a condition as to cause other folks the empathy pain. (About half as bad as watching someone get kicked in the stones.)

Fusion works fine for me goin with the grain on the top sides and back, and sideways on the sides. Anything else is a no go.  :(

One thing that helped me was to go with the grain on a first past and then go against the grain on a second pass.  It could also help if you re-lube on the second pass.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline Sheeple

• Master Fewl
  • Sly Guy in Training
  • Auld Pic, new to come.
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2006, 08:38:59 AM »
Have attempted both relube'n and doin with the grain first as prep. Gone so far as to even try a fresh razor head for the against the grain pass.

The only thing I have not tired is stubborn persistence. In all actuality, my head does not hurt as much as people apparently think it does, it is only sensitive for maybe a few hours.

If I plow ahead and just do it daily, will my skin adapt?
A skilled warrior takes his stand on ground where he cannot lose, but does not overlook the conditions that make his enemy prone to defeat.

Offline PBurke

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2006, 09:53:53 AM »
sheeple, you will be suprised how quickly your head will adapt. some of us are almost ocd about a smooth shave. i have used all the hot water several times trying to get it close. so keep at it and you will find a technique that works for you. good luck, Paul.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2006, 10:21:39 AM by pburke »

Treat people with respect, or just ignore them!

Offline Sheeple

• Master Fewl
  • Sly Guy in Training
  • Auld Pic, new to come.
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2006, 10:37:54 AM »
Thanks for the input Paul.

I long for the ultra smooth, I have given up wearing beanies when it gets cold down here because my head acts like velcro. Even if I get the bastard on...getting it off is an ordeal. hehe

I'll give against the grain a week or 2 and see how my skin is lookin/feelin.

Offline PigPen

• Single... and lovin it baby!
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2006, 12:08:06 PM »
Yes, your noggin will adapt after a while.

Regarding what Paul said about OCD, I'll get upset when I'm on my way out the door and I'm tossing on the HeadLube, I can feel small spots that aren't as smooth as the rest of the melon. So I just keep trying to modify and improve the technique.
In a bacon and eggs breakfast, the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed. BE THE PIG!!!

Offline Sheeple

• Master Fewl
  • Sly Guy in Training
  • Auld Pic, new to come.
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2006, 09:19:50 AM »
Ok I guess I'm OCD now also. I've finally managed to grasp the against the grain method without leaving my head a barren wasteland of raw red skin.

I ended up having to modify and adapt a new shower shaving ritual. Basically, I start by using some of the hottest damn water I can stand to rub and saturate my head and beard. Next I take some somewhat cheap conditioner ($1.95 Suave w/ Aloe and Vit E) and throw a layer on my head and a healthy layer on my beard. I leave those on for a few min while I do my regular oo and ah washing. Afterwards I rinse it off with more scalding water, throw on my Edge Activecare shave lotion, and commence with the against the grain process. I am now able to sport a wonderfully smooth dome, daily.

It ended up taking a bit longer then I was used to, but I was quickly rewarded at a party Friday night for my efforts.

3 cheers for drunk women!

Offline Johnny

• Sly Finance Guy
  • Sly
    • NCompass Financial, LLC
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2006, 09:28:13 AM »
I long for the ultra smooth, I have given up wearing beanies when it gets cold down here because my head acts like velcro. Even if I get the bastard on...getting it off is an ordeal. hehe

Man that is funny. I just started shaving last week, when the temps in MN were around 0*. I wore a beanie (quite a shock of cold) and when I would go to take it off, I thought my whole head was going to come with it.

I have been shaving against the grain since day one, I can't imagine not doin' it.

Enter your email address: