Author Topic: Dollar Shave Club...yea or nay?  (Read 5202 times)

Offline underorbit

• Sly Jr.
Dollar Shave Club...yea or nay?
« on: January 09, 2018, 09:42:01 AM »
Anyone had any experience with Dollar Shave Club?

I signed up because I'm incredibly cheap and so are they I wanted to save a little bit of money. I tried a cartridge on my neckbeard first, and I didn't like the way the razor dragged. I didn't want my $5 introductory fee (or whatever it was) go to waste, though, so this morning I decided to try it on my head. (We'll just chalk that little error in judgment to staying up too late to watch the Alabama-Georgia game.) I stuck a brand new cartridge on, took one swipe up my head through the Headslick with no pressure they way I always do with the Mach 3 with absolutely no issues, and immediately hit a snag.

Yay for styptic pencils.

Anyway, is this something anyone else has tried? What'd you think? I've seen plenty on here about why Harry's isn't really up to the task, but little about DSC.

Offline slybeard

• Sly Bureau
Re: Dollar Shave Club...yea or nay?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2018, 10:20:42 AM »
I have no personal experience, but I have heard similar results as yours.  Since I am incredibly cheap, I can say that I have given the Walmart Store brand of a 5 blade cartridge and found it to be equal to the fusion.  It is still a little pricey, but much less than the Fusion.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2018, 09:54:46 AM by slybeard »
SlyBeard

Offline _Dan_

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2018, 10:28:29 PM »
I've heard they're not as sharp  / good quality as say  the common mach 3

and as for price. You can often find  good deals on mach 3 cartridges on amazon if you buy them in bulk, works out pretty cheap.

Offline underorbit

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2018, 08:54:55 AM »
You can often find  good deals on mach 3 cartridges on amazon if you buy them in bulk, works out pretty cheap.

OK. I'm gonna try that. Even buying in bulk at Costco makes my heart stop for a hot minute; that s--t ain't cheap. Thanks!

Offline spat

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2018, 12:54:35 AM »
I used the blade one time about a week ago and am still trying to get rid of the razor rash that I got from a new blade!  >:( In short, they are not worth the money!

Offline Nude Nut

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2018, 08:43:15 AM »
I’m going to give them a Yay ! Yes, I buy them online in Australia and get a supply each month - 6 blades I think .. I only ever use them on my head and they are really good. They are 4 blade cartridges. They give good life, I generally shave every second day and I get about 7 shaves from a cartridge. I get a super smooth shave. I can be cheap with blades and work them longer than recommended - even then they perform pretty well. I suspend some monthly deliveries as I am not using them as fast as they come in. So yes it’s a Yay from me.

Offline Wiremu

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2018, 09:45:41 PM »
Okay Nude Nut, you've convinced me to give it a go.
I love the shave and price of my DE blades but when i use cartridges it's always the Mach 3.

Can you please let me know which type you buy and the link for them? I'll get a couple and see how they go.

Cheers,
Dan

Offline Nude Nut

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2018, 02:37:59 AM »
Hey Dan,

here is the blade,

https://au.dollarshaveclub.com/checkout/product/6-blade-razor?hideWriteReview=true

I like it ..see how you go..

Cheers

Offline Wiremu

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2018, 05:59:38 PM »
Six blade razor? Reminds me of that great dIRE sTRAITS song, Six Blade Knife.

Thanks for the link. Much appreciated. Will check it all out and report back later.

Offline Wiremu

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2018, 06:26:56 PM »
Update: I haven't tried the Dollar Club of the other one available in Aust but ALDI do have a selection of razors and cartridges. I got their six-blade razor to try while showering at work.

It was a vastly different feeling using a six-blade. Lots more resistance (makes sense) but it felt pretty good. I didn't get any irritation at all on head or face and usually do three passes to get it totally smooth. The first blade has now had three complete shaves of head and face and still seems to be going fine. When it dulls, I'll probably keep it for the head for another shave or two and use new ones for the face (hey, whatever works, right?).

Pretty good price I suppose (when compared to Mach3 etc). It was $7 for the razor and three cartridges. Additional cartridges are $7 for four.

I think I'll stick with this for my quick shaves at work and use just the DE when shaving at home.

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2018, 02:01:46 PM »
I just purchased a DSC starter box for $5 and will try the blades soon. I did try the shaving cream with my HeadBlade and i thought the shaving cream was horrible.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.