Author Topic: Should I shave my head?  (Read 5769 times)

Offline Delancey

• Sly Guy in Training
Should I shave my head?
« on: April 02, 2012, 07:05:30 PM »
Most of my female friends that I ask say no, either because they don't like the look or because they wouldn't like the look on me. But I am becoming very thin on top and I have to get a haircut every 10 days to look alright, which is just ridiculous.

I have considered a hair transplant, but I don't want scars on my scalp or any reason to feel insecure about how I look. I just want to feel good about my looks, and right now (unless I get a haircut so often that my hairdresser looks funny at me) people notice my thin hair and some even comment on it.

So girls even Have started commenting on it, including a girl Iet at a bar recently and my ex girlfriend who basically called me ugly for being bald. That really made me feel crappy.

I agree that shaving one's head is about embracing your looks as they are and accepting it. Nonetheless, I am a guy in my mid 20s and still want to feel attractive for myself and to the opposite sex.

Here are some pics:

« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 02:17:36 PM by Delancey »

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: Should I shave my head?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2012, 07:10:07 PM »
Yes, you should definitely shave your head and the sooner the better.  Thinning and receding hair is very aging and you're too young to wear your hair like that.  Take a look around you at other guys your age who are dealing with MPB -- you may think you are the only one, but trust me, they are out there.  Just look the next time you're out at the mall or some other public place.  I'll bet that the majority of them are shaved.  A balding 20-something who doesn't shave is very much the exception nowadays.  You'll feel much more confident and attractive.

Go ahead and give it a try.  What's the worst that can happen?

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2012, 07:32:20 PM »
Oh Dude.... a definite yes. The ones that youalready know are the ones that will have the hardest time adjusting to it. Don't worry about them. It's a good way to weed out those that aren't REAL friends. Those that ARE real friend will encourage you to do what makes you feel good.... the "pretenders' will criticize and try to tell you what is best for you..... be done with those.
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

marty22

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2012, 07:33:47 PM »
welcome. Unfortunately or fortunately, your hair has to go.

Offline Delancey

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2012, 07:53:41 PM »
Ok I'll give it a try in a few months (not procrastinating, but I have some time off in a few months, which will give me an opportunity not to be exposed to current coworkers and creating a huge shock). Haha

I have a question; is there a product on the market that will give my skin tone (scalp and face) a darker color? I am not looking for a self tanner, but more of a cream that will make my head look less pale. Any recommendations besides tanning?

Also, how long did it take you guys to get use to the shaved head (you stopped missing your hair).

Offline Delancey

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2012, 07:57:30 PM »
Should I start lifting weights to make it look better? I hear that the shaved head looks better with a bigger neck?

Also, in your honest opinion, will I be able to pull it off?

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2012, 08:01:22 PM »
Should I start lifting weights to make it look better? I hear that the shaved head looks better with a bigger neck?

Also, in your honest opinion, will I be able to pull it off?

Toning up your muscles is never a bad thing. And yes, you can pull it off.

Offline Delancey

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2012, 08:04:23 PM »
Thanks Razor. :-)

Offline Bluebriz

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2012, 09:39:43 PM »
If you wait a few months, you'll have to put up with a few more months of stress between now and then as you worry about it.  The sooner you crop it as short as possible, or better still, shave it, the sooner you and (less importantly) everyone else will start to get used to it, and soon enough, they won't even remember the old you, they'll just know the new you.

Being in good physical shape is always a good thing, but the size of your neck won't make much difference.  Just look at the different neck sizes on a thread anywhere on here.  The overwhelming majority of people on here (and in the real world!) went through the same feelings and insecurities you have now, but I bet that almost 100% of them are glad they did it and wish they'd done it sooner.

Just my thoughts anyway.

Offline Paul the Headblader

• Sly Bureau
  • They see me rollin' they hatin'
    • My facebook page :)
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2012, 04:22:10 AM »
yes, you should
be who you are, say what you feel, because those who matter don't mind, and those who mind don't matter

Offline Slyfive

• Human Torpedo!
  • Sly Bureau
  • Better to be bald than balding
    • My Band The DeLoreans
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2012, 04:54:59 AM »
Go for it!

Offline Ming the Merciless

• Super Sly
  • No More "Mr. Nice Guy"
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2012, 05:26:49 AM »
Buzz it to #2 first.  Let those picky women get used to the fact that you have "short hair."  Then, somewhat later, go to a #1 buzz, say nothing, and they will probably not notice anything "new."  And then no guard.  And finally the razor.  By then (I mean half a year for these sneaky steps) the idea of seeing you shaved will no longer upset those who know you.  Now, brand-new folks to your look will have to take you as you are.  Some will be fine, some will not be.  That's the way it goes.

And this slow process will give your skin time to pick up an even tone, since the short hair you keep for a while still lets in enough sun to start smoothing out the contrast between the hairless part and that still with some.  In six months (start now to take advantage of the summer, but watch out for burning--but you know that already from experience) things should look OK when the shaving is finally done.

And who can be against body-building?  As an idea, anyway.  I'm flabby.

Offline Papa Don

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2012, 07:30:16 AM »
First off, welcome to the site.  Secondly, I too think it's time for you to take the plunge.  True friends will stick by you, whatever you decide.  The others?  Were not friends.  Live your life for you!
I am no better that anyone else, but by God, no one is better than I am

Offline stasiu

• Ultimate Sly Guy
  • All dressed up & no hair to go !
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2012, 08:01:09 AM »
Welcome to the site !  Your premature balding process and insecurities did not start over night.  There is no quick  + magical answer to MPB.  You're going bald (period).  Face the facts.  Blaming baldness for your dry social spell with girls is rather lame.  Re-focus.

STEP ONE: March into that barbershop  this week and command "buzz it very short".  Let that scalp show with pride.  

STEP TWO: Push away the ex-gf and anyone shallow.  You have a life ! Focus on your interests / talents.

STEP THREE:   You got that buzzcut, you dumped the ex, you are exercising.  Don't you feel more confident ?

STEP FOUR:  Hold that bald head high with a smile and swag.  It's springtime, re-birth of a new you !

GOOD LUCK !

Offline mangosink12572

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • Wonderful SHINY BALD
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2012, 08:49:35 AM »
Go for it - -You will never be sorry and you will ask yourself: Why didn't I do this a long time ago?

I think most of us here wish we  had shaved clean before we  actually did.