Author Topic: Pros and Cons of being bald  (Read 76239 times)

Offline njbill

• Sly
Re: Pros and Cons of being bald
« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2014, 06:08:57 AM »
It looks better than rocking a costanza....on me it doesn't look particularly good though.....i dont understand how folks choose to do this when they have all their hair

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2014, 06:47:11 AM »
Hi Bill, ya, I've thought about that, being BBC, and this is what I came up with. When I used to see guys with a shaved head, I always thought it looked good. Once I took the plunge, I got some complements, and I felt more confident. I had grey hair when I was 30yo, so not seeing that grey head was cool.

Now I can't seem to go more that about 2 days without shaving. I also really enjoy my daily head shave with a double edge razor. Do I look better with a full head of silver hair? Probably, but I really don't care. I do what I like and what you see is what you get.
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline Frontier Guy

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • SBC: Sly By Choice ... "Since May 18, 2012"
« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2014, 07:42:06 AM »
Well said Reddog,

I do what I like and what you see is what you get.

It takes a long time (at least it did for me) to learn this lesson of life.
"Sly can adapt to all surroundings!" - Wisdom from KG 8/19/2012

Offline njbill

• Sly
« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2014, 10:30:50 AM »
Thats cool...i just cant immagine choosing to do this

In my case its the slightly better of two bad options

Offline slybeard

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #34 on: September 08, 2014, 12:25:58 PM »
Although I am somewhat thinning on top, at the time I first shaved I still had enough hair that I considered myself BBC.  Like Reddog, my hair was almost completely white, and the texiture was such that I was never able to style it to any style I liked.  So I was never really satisfied with my hair and usually just kept it short.  When I shaved, it was like a new freedom.  I like the sly look much more than I ever liked my hair.

Based on my daily stubble, I suspect the MPB has kicked in enough now that I can no longer say I am BBC.

Now If I had the perfect hair before, I may have felt differently.
SlyBeard

Offline baldsurfer

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #35 on: September 11, 2014, 06:43:28 AM »
I'm another BBC'er. Like Reddog, I always thought shaved heads looked cool and wanted to see how it would look and feel on me, so one day I took the plunge. I love the look, I love the sensations of a freshly shaved head, and I actually enjoy the process of shaving it smooth.
But it is a lot of upkeep because I have a full head of thick hair, so I usually grow it back after a few months. But at some point every year, I get the bug, and off it comes. This year, I've been consistently sly since Memorial Day and I'm still enjoying it. Probably staying sly at least until "No Shave November"

Offline rss114

• Sly
  • Finally Sly
« Reply #36 on: September 11, 2014, 11:09:16 PM »
For me I'm bbc and when ever I saw a guy with a shaved head I was always envious and wished I had thing hair so I could go with the shaved head then when I discovers this site I realized there was many guys that shave there head totally by choice and that made me decide to give it a try and love it

Offline njbill

• Sly
« Reply #37 on: September 12, 2014, 12:34:26 PM »
I guess its just not the same when your options are limited to costanza or sly, and sly is really bot working for you

Offline Mike E. P.

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #38 on: September 12, 2014, 06:57:41 PM »
NJbill,

I would bet sly looks better on you than you think.  You should post a picture.  I wish I was BBC, but I'm not.  However, I learned to like myself bald and you are right.  Sly is a million times preferable to the Costanza!
Bronx bald and bred!

Offline Hingatao

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #39 on: September 12, 2014, 07:21:09 PM »
Here's my two cents:

Pros: no dandruff, it's cheaper and easier to maintain (assuming that you'd otherwise have more than a #1 or #2 buzz cut) and I always feel refreshed after I've shaved.

The only con, for me, is that I've got oily skin so my scalp tends to feel greasy in warm weather.
Hair is over rated.

Offline invaray

• Sly
« Reply #40 on: September 13, 2014, 03:04:26 AM »
pros;
* its cleaner, no dandruff
* stable you look the same all day no messed up hair from wind or rain
* effects of time not noticed with hair you gradually become grayer or watch as you have less and less hair, shaved you have a non changing dome.
* easy to apply lotion or anything to your head
* cooler in summer
* more sensitive to everything sun feels great on it
* for me scalp seems healthier no redness or anything hidden under the hair
* gets you noticed your the bald guy
* lice won't be a problem
* lots of people like it even have internet forums about it
* I just think it looks and feels better
* fun to add things to  sunglasses or hats

cons;

* cost of blades
* have to be careful in sun
* if you have a cut or pimple on your head there it is no hair to hide it
* mosquitos think its a landing pad

Over all its another haircut. Your shaving it off the hair is still there growing. It is an option that's not permanent. Have fun with it its your head.
shine and share

02kpjw@gmail.com

« Reply #41 on: September 15, 2014, 04:47:47 PM »
I cannot add anything else to the pro for being bald by choice, but there is one con about it.
It takes me 20 minutes each morning to shave my head and face.  That is worth it though.  The good out weighs the time spent each day.  When I just buzzed by head it was wash and go and then I did not have a goatee and just shave the entire face.  Again the goatee and bald look is so worth it.

Offline Mike E. P.

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #42 on: September 15, 2014, 06:51:14 PM »
I cannot add anything else to the pro for being bald by choice, but there is one con about it.
It takes me 20 minutes each morning to shave my head and face.  That is worth it though.  The good out weighs the time spent each day.  When I just buzzed by head it was wash and go and then I did not have a goatee and just shave the entire face.  Again the goatee and bald look is so worth it.

Because I am lazy and need my sleep, I usually shave at night. The down side is my Slyest hours are spent sleeping! The up side is I can jump out of bed and pretty much go!
Bronx bald and bred!

Offline Bilko1

• Super Sly
  • Glad To Be Bald-by-choice
« Reply #43 on: September 16, 2014, 05:41:17 AM »
For me the pro's are: It's the best "hair-style" and look for a guy (and even some girls suit it).
Easy to maintain - no trips necessary to barber/hairdresser unless you really want to. There are lots of other pro's too numerous to highlight - some already highlighted elsewhere in this thread.

Downside: pillow pattern on scalp when I awake in the morning (soon dissipates, though) and cost of replacement blades.

When I was younger I never really perceived myself as having a shaved head, although I did admire the guys that had their head shaved. My first head shave came as a bit of a surprise for me at the suggestion of my barber and although I kind of was affraid to go through with his suggestion, I am now really glad I did. Haven't looked back & I am proud to be a baldy by choice.
BaldBill

Offline gwsmallwood

• Sly
  • AZ Sly Guy
« Reply #44 on: September 16, 2014, 10:26:34 AM »
Mostly pros, but the few cons I have are:

-Hats.  I used to wear them a lot.  In AZ, it's a big help.  I find them uncomfortable now, and my head seems to break out a little after wearing one.
-Sunblock.  I have naturally oily skin, so I still haven't found a sunblock that doesn't make that worse or make my head break out.
-Cost.  If you use carts, it's a biggie.  Since moving to DE Safety razors, this one isn't as big of a deal anymore.