Author Topic: So I guess I am in a less common situation....  (Read 6295 times)

Offline hammer102d

• Learning the way of Sly
So I guess I am in a less common situation....
« on: December 30, 2010, 11:17:41 PM »
Hi, I am new here and I am way on the fence about shaving my head or growing my hair long. (kinda of extreme choices.) But I have experience a bald head before, but it is way back in the 8th grade. And it was an interesting experience to say the least. I loved the feeling of it over Christmas Break. But when I got back to school, kids said that I was a skinhead and I just stopped shaving after that. Then I brought back for a little bit in the summer. But then let grow for a month before school started. I never did it again. I really want to shave my head, but two issues (both quite silly in reality, but in my head I have those fears) 1) I don't want to be known as a skinhead 2) Other people on my college campus has that style and I don't want to be known as copying someone. Again, quite silly in reality, but it is a fear. So I need advice to tip the scale. (Note: if I do shave it, then I will put up a profile pic, but until then)

Offline TheSlyBear

• Opinionated Walrus
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • 忍者クマ
Re: So I guess I am in a less common situation....
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2010, 12:52:13 AM »
1) Times have changed.

2) If you keep your hair, aren't you "copying" those who have hair?

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2010, 01:21:50 AM »
You're here, so my guess is that you really want to shave it :)
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline Sgt. Pate

• Sly Bureau
  • ~ Semper Fi ~ Sly Till I Die! ~
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2011, 06:05:46 PM »
Be yourself and don't worry about what others think, you have NO control over that.

The biggest mistake first time head shavers make is to stop shaving too soon.  You and others need to get used to the change.  Shave it off bro, you know you want to.  Then give it 30 days.  My guess is you won't go back.    O0

"Never pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you." - Clint Smith

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2011, 07:43:52 PM »
It's hard to look at things with a long-term perspective when you're young, but if you'll take a leap of faith and follow the advice of those of us who have already traveled down the path you're just beginning, we can make things a lot easier for you.  Nobody wants to be the young, prematurely balding guy, but I have come to the conclusion that going bald at a young age is not such a bad thing.  There is no better time in your life to shave your head than when you're in college.  It is probably the only time in your life that you'll be free to experiment with your appearance without fear of judgment or recrimination.  You're not under the daily watchful eye of your parents and you don't have to worry about disapproval from an employer (not that either of those should stop anyone who wants to shave his head).   You're surrounded by people who for the most part haven't known you for your entire life and don't have any preconceived notions about what you "should" look like.  You may stand out from the crowd a bit, but the shaved look commands respect.  Even people who aren't necessarily fans of the look will admire for having the balls to deal with the problem instead of trying to hide it.

It's hard to be the first guy in your circle of friends to go bald, but if you can look ahead a few years, you will see justice being served.  The vast majority of men will experience at least some hair loss during their lifetimes.  At some point they'll be going through what you're going through now, long after it's ceased to be a problem for you.  One day you'll be the envy of your friends and co-workers who are thinning and receding and too afraid to shave.  Balding men look awkward and feel self-conscious.  Bald men look and feel confident.

I was 33 years old when I shaved my head for the first time; I probably should have done it five years earlier, but the look was still relatively uncommon then.  If I were a balding college student today, I wouldn't hesitate to shave my head.  Just do it; I guarantee you'll feel a lot better about yourself.

Offline Basqueman

• Sly Jr.
  • Your opinion of yourself is the one that matters
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2011, 10:55:46 PM »
First,  Anything I have to say will only mirror Razor X's eloquent, outstanding comments on his post.   I've been shaved for only a short while and have been losing my hair since I was 23.  My male pattern baldness bothered me but I still carried on and held my head high approaching life with confidence and with eyes wide open.   My point to you is that if you know who you are and what you're made of, what others think about the choices you make won't matter.  I think the identification of "skinhead" values and beliefs equated with a shaved head has faded simply because so many men shave or buzz their heads nowadays!  Its a cool look and based on your comments, its a look that you like!  When it comes to what you look like....its all bout you!!  Its about what you think about your self.  I'll admit that since I've shaved I spend a lot of time looking at myself in the mirror! Why?  Because I like what I look like.  Doesn't matter what others think.

marty22

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2011, 10:03:58 AM »
good comment there X.

Offline xnewyawka

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2011, 10:10:37 AM »
Razor summed it up well, and all I will add is: you'll know when it's time.
Hang in there and be confident.

Offline hammer102d

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2011, 02:23:35 AM »
Thanks for all of the advice. But I do want to clear up things that I didn't clarify well enough in my first statement. Well, I am not exactly balding yet, but every male in my family has severe hair loss. So the top of their heads is completely bald. So I am eventually going to have to face the situation eventually.  The reason why  I can not say. (It goes against posting rules, and I don't want to cause strife). But besides that its more so to tackle my fears that I listed above. I mean don't get me wrong, I like everything about my bald head, when I had it. I would do it if I didn't like my bald head in the first place :). So there is a lot of reasons, but those are the main.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 02:25:25 AM by hammer102d »

Offline hammer102d

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2011, 04:43:56 PM »
So I know its been a little bit of time, but I did it!! and I like it, like I thought I would. And people actually said that it is a very good look for me, very little negative. So thanks to everyone that helped me out with this. Now this look is inspiring to make major changes to my body, like diet for sure and work out and several other things. This gave me more confidence

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2011, 05:33:41 PM »
 O0, how about a picture?

Offline Noodles

• Proud Melon Member of The Sly Guy Club!
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Fireman Dave
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2011, 06:37:24 PM »
So I know its been a little bit of time, but I did it!! and I like it, like I thought I would. And people actually said that it is a very good look for me, very little negative. So thanks to everyone that helped me out with this. Now this look is inspiring to make major changes to my body, like diet for sure and work out and several other things. This gave me more confidence

CONGRATS on your decision to Give SLY a TRY, HAMMER!!
Most fence sitters, like yourself, are pleasantly surprised, to say the least, of the reaction(s) from others (not to mention their own self image boost) regarding their new look.

Once again, Congratulations and WELCOME to SBG!!

- Cap'n Noodles -
Post up a pic when you can!

Offline Coach7

• Coach7
  • Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2011, 08:43:34 PM »
Hammer - YOU D MAN.   You did it,  Now let it help define who you are.  Go out into the world kickin ass.  Your choice is for your life.  SO if you are happy, that is all that matters.  Be confident.  Mamny people wish they had you guts and determination.  O0

Offline Coach7

• Coach7
  • Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2011, 08:46:09 PM »
Hammer - Post up a PICTURE!

Enter your email address: