Author Topic: Sly And Eyebrows  (Read 4392 times)

Offline gutsygirl

• Surviving Chronic Illness with a Smile :D
  • Sly
  • Gutsy is as Gutsy does!
    • Naturally Gutsy - surviving gastrointestinal illness with a smile!
Sly And Eyebrows
« on: January 17, 2019, 10:45:46 AM »
Here's my dilemma. I'm often BBS sly and I have very fair skin with dark auburn hair color, including my eyebrows. So my eyebrows really stand out especially being BBS.

There are two ways that people respond to my eyebrows:

1) Wow! You have AMAZING eyebrows! Who "does" your eyebrows? Where do you go (what salon)?

(The answer to this question is that I shape my eyebrows very little - I keep them mostly natural but try to avoid looking "mad" or having "bitchy resting face" look by shaping them just a little bit.)

2) Do you REALLY have cancer or don't you? Cause most people lose their eyebrows and it's weird that you still have eyebrows.

My personal take on my eyebrows differs from public opinion:

I personally don't like my eyebrows being very dark. I want to keep my eyebrows because 1} they show off my facial expressions and I make lots of funny faces, 2) I'd look weird without them - God gave us eyebrows, and 3) I don't have cancer and I don't want to look like I do (although I already look like I do because I use a wheelchair and I'm often sickly looking to begin with because...I'm sick!)

Hair dye to make my eyebrows a little less prominent seems like too much work and too toxic with those chemicals. Nah. I used to trim my eyebrows so that the hairs were shorter which did lighten the color a little, and I might try that again.

But I know many women actually want to DARKEN their eyebrows using "eyebrow pencils" (in every makeup aisle in America)...but I just find the look too severe and my brows are already really dark so I have no need for a pencil.

Just wondering how other sly gals feel about this. Am I just the weird one? Or do you feel like your eyebrows are a bit too stark because of your bald head?

Open to hearing from the gents too! :D

CRPSablaze.wordpress.com, NaturallyGutsy.com

Offline Wiremu

• Sly Jr.
Re: Sly And Eyebrows
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2019, 05:38:53 PM »
You're reminded me of my own eyebrow story. It used to cause me a lot of torment during high school.

I used to get teased mercilessly about plucking my eyebrows but I couldn't figure out why the other kids were being such dicks when I never plucked 'em. My stepmother mentioned to me that they were very light in colour and quite sparse on the outer halves. She thought maybe I'd been rubbing them and some had been rubbed off.

Anyway they're still like that but I hadn't really thought about them until now. I guess my titanium cranium doesn't make them stand out a lot because there's not a lot there.

For what it's worth, I think you look just fine the way you are. It can be difficult accepting things that we might think of as imperfections or things that we think stand out and make us more noticeable. We're all unique and we're all just perfect the way we are.

Offline gutsygirl

• Surviving Chronic Illness with a Smile :D
  • Sly
  • Gutsy is as Gutsy does!
    • Naturally Gutsy - surviving gastrointestinal illness with a smile!
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2019, 06:22:22 PM »
@Wiremu Thanks for sharing! Not cool that you were teased in school. I was teased a lot too because of my deformed legs - like you, not a physical feature over which I had any control.

My eyebrows might just really be one of those things to "live and let live." Lol.
CRPSablaze.wordpress.com, NaturallyGutsy.com

Offline Quiet_Dan

• Super Sly
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2019, 12:23:45 AM »
To me your eyebrows look normal too, and you look to really carry the bald look well.  As far as I know you have covered the obvious options to lighten your brows (and nixed them), plus I thought bold brows were in fashion.
My personal opinion as a bloke is that you look beautiful as you are.
God created only a few perfect heads, the rest he covered with hair!

Offline Semi-Sly

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2019, 12:40:33 AM »
You're reminded me of my own eyebrow story. It used to cause me a lot of torment during high school.

I used to get teased mercilessly about plucking my eyebrows but I couldn't figure out why the other kids were being such dicks when I never plucked 'em. My stepmother mentioned to me that they were very light in colour and quite sparse on the outer halves. She thought maybe I'd been rubbing them and some had been rubbed off.

Anyway they're still like that but I hadn't really thought about them until now. I guess my titanium cranium doesn't make them stand out a lot because there's not a lot there.

For what it's worth, I think you look just fine the way you are. It can be difficult accepting things that we might think of as imperfections or things that we think stand out and make us more noticeable. We're all unique and we're all just perfect the way we are.

My eyebrows are just like yours - thin and sparse and the outer half is MIA!

In fact, when I was ordained as a Buddhist monk the one thing I dreaded was that they were going to shave off my eyebrows.  But once it was done - I hardly looked any different because what had been there was so thin ans sparse! 

I Wish I had nice thick eyebrows - so I could shave some "cat scratch lines into them! (Ha HA)

Offline PDXGuy

• Team Sly
  • Sly
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2019, 12:50:11 AM »
No way you look like you have thick eyebrows. i always think mine being light in color look sparse. When the barber says should I trim them, I am always no way. Wild eyebrows look good. LOL

Offline Bizarro

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2020, 08:55:37 AM »
I have thick eyebrows to.

I love being bald. Every year I spent longer and longer time bald, and even if I like how I look just bald and with thick eyebrows... Usually I keep both my scalp and eyebrows shaved smooth.

It is a little bit shocking in the beginnging for your family and friends but they get used to it quickly. For the rest of the people you are just a regular bald person, not a freak.

Anyway with the quarenting it isthe perfect moment to try any look... and hair grows FAST.

Offline bennett11

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2020, 10:12:26 AM »
i have been shaving my eyebrows routinely now for some years.  they had become more sparse.  anyway i like being fully bald

Offline g_bald

• Team Sly
  • Super Sly
  • Bald IS beautiful... and it will always be so!
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2021, 08:36:13 AM »
I think your eyebrows look fine, but it's all a matter of your personal decision as opposed to what others think (or project) about you. I have contemplated shaving mine, they look OK, but some of the hairs grow like mad and end up bothering my eyelashes and being an irritant. So, there's that.

I think you are pretty just as you are Gutsy and your smile shows that no matter what, you are keeping a positive attitude and outlook. Eyebrows are a "material" thing, so let your soul wander and see where you end up!

Keep smiling!

Offline clint902

• Super Sly
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2021, 11:49:51 AM »
This is a strange topic for me because my eyebrows are white.  I do keep them trimmed so they don't get ferrel.  There isn't much else I can do about them.  The funny part is that weather I shaved em off or keep trimming them, nobody would notice because I wear glasses so, well, there's that.

Enter your email address: