Author Topic: How to Shave Your Head  (Read 28044 times)

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
How to Shave Your Head
« on: August 05, 2006, 12:17:44 AM »
So your ready to shave your head and go bald?  Here's how you do it:

If you have hair that is longer than a 1/2 inch then I recommend you use clippers to trim your head down to a stubble.  This will make it easier to shave down to the skin.

Using an Electric:

This is the easiest and least scary way to shave your head, but may take the longest. 

Get out the electric razor and clean it out really good.  If you have new blades, then now is the time to install them.  I recommend a rotary shaver vs a foil shaver, but that's just my preference.

Turn the razor on and start shaving.  I like to start with the back of my head, down by the neck.  This tends to be the most sensitve are for me.  As you get the neck area, start moving to each side of your head.  Make sure you pay attention to the hair around your ears as this is the trickiest area to get.

Once the sides are done, finish up with the top of the head.

Rinse off with cool water and apply a moisturizing lotion.  Use a lotion with an SPF of 15 or greater if you plan on heading out in the sun.

Using a straight razor:

Make sure you are using a brand new razor.  If you are going to go buy one, it's recommended that you use a Mach 3 or Fusion, or check the forum to see what others recommend.

If you can get a wife, girlfriend, significant other to do this for you, it's much easier.

Get your hair wet with luke warm water.  You don't want to use too hot of water as it will lend more to razor burn.

Lather up with shaving cream.  Some people prefer a gel over the typical cream.  I find that gel prevents cuts a little more, but can also make it harder to get all of the hairs the first time.

Rinse the razor with luke warm water and begin shaving WITH the grain of your hair.  I like to start with the back of my head first since it's the most sensitive area for me and I like to have a fresh razor on that area.

Move to the sides of the head when you are done with the back.  If you are using the Fusion, you can use the single precision blade around the ears.

Move to the top to finish it off.

Rinse with cool water, dry off, and apply a moisturizing lotion.  Use a lotion with an SPF of 15 or more if you plan on heading outside.

Now post a comment in the forum letting us know you shaved your head!
« Last Edit: August 05, 2006, 12:19:23 AM by Tyler - The Sly Bald Guy »

People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline older

• Learning the way of Sly
Electric vs Hand
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2006, 01:28:06 PM »
For 8 years I had been using an electric razor and then last month I changed to a hand razor. I now do it when I take my shower, much easier and the stubble comes back later then with the elcectic.

Offline Noner

• I don't go shopping for hats. Hats go shopping for me.
  • Sly Moderator
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Not a real doctor but would like to play one on TV
    • Nonerville
Re: How to Shave Your Head
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2006, 01:37:00 PM »
Electric?

I would only reccomend that to people who are shaving once a week. It does well on the head and sides but it tears up your neck. If you shave more than once a week use a razor.

If you must use an electric, make sure you shave from the middle of the back of your head straight down. Do not go up against the hair. I also reccomend using the electric shave liquid to apply before you shave. This is not shaving cream, its watery and is usually green. It helps the electric more over your scalp.

Noner

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2006, 01:10:43 AM »
I use an electric every other day, but I only recommend the rotary head electric, not the foil head electric.  I also recommend that you go light on the neck with an electric.

My face is different than my head.  I have to use a straight/safety razor on my face, I'll get razor burn if I use an electric on the face.  So, I also shave my neck with my straight razor on the days that I don't shave my head.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline happyharry

• Team Sly
  • Super Sly
  • bald, bold and beautiful
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2006, 01:34:06 AM »
I used to shave my face with an electric (Philishave). And every time I had been on razors for a period of time and then switched back to the electric I got
burns and redness all over my face. Your face needs time to get used to an electric if you haven't been using one for a while. So I wouldn't recommend switching between razors and electrics all the time (at least with me it causes trouble).

I still have my electric but haven't used it in over a year. Do you guys think that an electric really works for the head? Should I try it?
Who loves ya, baby?

Offline Apollo5

• currently currently
  • Sly Jr.
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2006, 02:02:21 PM »
i used to an electric for touch ups. i lost the electric a long time ago. blade shaving feels better.

Offline PigPen

• Single... and lovin it baby!
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2006, 02:07:35 PM »
I agree Apollo. Never tried an electric, but don't think I would want to.
In a bacon and eggs breakfast, the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed. BE THE PIG!!!

Offline robert

• Sly Guy in Training
    • Running in the Halls
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2006, 10:47:48 PM »
started with a blade (sensor) and have stuck with it for almost 15 years now.  Started out using shaving cream in the mirror, moved to lotion (which actually works amazingly well and is way less expensive), and have just been freehanding in the shower with nothing but water for almost ten years.  I don't know if my head would have liked it razorburn-wise if I just started out in the shower, but by the time I did change to that way, the melon was used to shaving.

Still think lotion was the best feeling though.  I'm just too lazy about it now.