Author Topic: 110 pounds lighter and changing things up  (Read 8652 times)

Offline steve69

• Sly Jr.
110 pounds lighter and changing things up
« on: September 14, 2020, 09:48:26 PM »
Hi, all,

This is my first post and I'm happy to be a part of the community! A couple fun facts about me:
I've lost over 110 pounds the past couple years and have worked my way up to walking and jogging 10 to 12 miles a day.

I started getting thin in my early 20s and started shaving my head. But I was seriously overweight and really unhealthy. Three years ago I started to take steps to get healthier. As I lost weight, I started to wonder what I'd look like with hair again. I started wearing hair systems and have been playing around with different styles.

But lately I started to wonder how I'd look with a shaved head again now that I've lost so much weight, but I was afraid to do it. I think I was afraid I'd still see the old me. But it was really hot on Saturday so I headed to the barber shop and got my head shaved again.

A lot of people like it better than the hair systems. I haven't decided yet. It definitely feels better, especially when I'm getting in my miles. What does everyone think? Was it a good move or a big mistake?

Here's how I looked 110 pounds heavier with a shaved head, then with a couple hair systems and then yesterday with the shaved head minus 110 pounds.

Added some better photos of the shaved head, at least as much better as it can get with my face. At least I have a decently shaped head LOL.

« Last Edit: September 17, 2020, 05:39:58 PM by steve69 »

Offline Dragon

• Super Sly
Re: 110 pounds lighter and changing things up
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2020, 12:17:02 AM »
@steve69 Well done, good for you for taking control of your life.  The systems look good but the new shaved you looks brilliant. Natural, strong, confident

Offline steve69

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2020, 03:14:40 PM »
@Dragon Thanks for the kind words. It's taking some getting used to, but I do feel a lot less self-conscious than when I was wearing the hair systems and it is a lot cooler. I'll probably stick with the shaved head and mustache for at least a while. The beard was really uncomfortable when I have to wear a face mask all day long.

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2020, 03:38:35 PM »
Congratulations on the weight loss Steve, and keep rocking the baldie! It has to feel so much better with a smooth shaved head. You have a nice head shape, and you wear the bald style well!
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline Dragon

• Super Sly
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2020, 01:18:16 AM »
@steve69 you have to stick with it for a while to get used to it.  im sure when you started using a system it looked strange at first, until you got used to it. The same applies to the shaved hairstyle, hence the 30 day rule

@Dragon Thanks for the kind words. It's taking some getting used to, but I do feel a lot less self-conscious than when I was wearing the hair systems and it is a lot cooler. I'll probably stick with the shaved head and mustache for at least a while. The beard was really uncomfortable when I have to wear a face mask all day long.

Offline steve69

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2020, 03:57:11 PM »
Congratulations on the weight loss Steve, and keep rocking the baldie! It has to feel so much better with a smooth shaved head. You have a nice head shape, and you wear the bald style well!

Thanks, @reddog  - I've changed a lot the last couple years and I guess the head shave was just the next step. I've gotten a lot of compliments on it the last few days, so I guess it's a keeper. It definitely feels better when I'm exercising.

Offline steve69

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2020, 03:59:36 PM »
@Dragon - yeah, the hair systems definitely took some getting used to. But the more I get used to the shaved head with my slimmed down face, the more I like it. And pretty much everyone has said they prefer the smooth look to the system, so I think I'll keep it shaved for a lot longer than 30 days!

@steve69 you have to stick with it for a while to get used to it.  im sure when you started using a system it looked strange at first, until you got used to it. The same applies to the shaved hairstyle, hence the 30 day rule

Offline slybeard

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2020, 03:58:55 PM »
IMO, shaved looks better on you.  But you are asking guys on a head shaving forum.  My suggestion, keep it shaved, and grow some facial hair.  I think a shaved head goes well with a beard, or at least some facial hair if not a full beard.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2020, 06:08:25 AM by slybeard »
SlyBeard

Offline steve69

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2020, 07:25:51 PM »
Thanks, @slybeard. I'm going to keep it shaved for a while, anyway. The response has been pretty positive, especially from women, which is a bonus. They say it makes me look more confident. It's just hard for me to get used to for some reason despite the fact I used to shave my head when I was a lot heavier.

I'm going to experiment with the facial hair. I have to wear a face mask a lot, so I'll see how long I can let it grow and still be comfortable with the mask.

All in all I have to agree that the bald look works pretty well for me now. Let's see how it goes when I hopefully lose another 50 or 60 pounds.

Offline Semi-Sly

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2020, 12:44:07 PM »
 Be brutally honest that hair system looked terrible! 

You absolutely made the right decision !

Offline steve69

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2020, 07:34:52 AM »
Be brutally honest that hair system looked terrible! 

You absolutely made the right decision !

@Semi-Sly

I'm not sure that I agree with your opinion on the hair systems. Pretty much everyone I know liked them and people who didn't know they were systems didn't even suspect.

But I agree that going back to the shaved head was the right move, at least for now. I was getting a lot of headaches and I think there were caused by wearing the hair systems pretty much continually for a couple years. A lot of women I've asked definitely prefer the smooth look, so that's a step on the right direction. And I've had a couple kids ask if I'm a police officer, so maybe I'll get a little more respect LOL.

Offline DAMMAG

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2020, 03:25:17 AM »
Fit and bald is a good look hair or no hair. Add in the fact that a hair system is a "painful" band aid and the answer is obvious.

Offline steve69

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2020, 09:13:48 AM »
Fit and bald is a good look hair or no hair. Add in the fact that a hair system is a "painful" band aid and the answer is obvious.

@DAMMAG

I'm still working on getting fit - I'd like to lose another 50 pounds or so. The hair systems can be physically painful. I think they have been giving me headaches, so an at least temporary break is in order. For now I'm loving the shaved head and I've gotten a lot of positive feedback, especially from women, so I'm feeling more confident in my decision to go Sly again.

I went back to the barber shop yesterday for another straight razor head shave. Went out and logged another 10 miles after that. Definitely feels better when I'm exercising.

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2020, 04:07:02 AM »
Shaved head looks great! Keep up the good work with the weight loss!
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline Rusty Shackleford

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2021, 06:54:20 AM »
Damn 110lbs? Your old pics may only show your face but it doesn't seem like you'd have 110lbs to spare!  Congratulations that a hellalotta weight to lose!
You don't know me, but I know you.

Enter your email address: